50 Percent

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Daniel,

It was good to see you post. I was wondering if you had read this thread or not. :D

When you were talking about rythm, it reminded me of what my teacher has explained to us many times as we trained. Often times people get into rythm of 1, 2, 3, etc. Sometimes, depending on the flow, we try to move in a 1, 1.5 rythm, a sort of half beat. This can be visualized by a circular movement that gets cut at 90 degrees. It is VERY VERY hard to put this in words, but essentially the uke feels like they are going one way and then all of a sudden the bottom drops out, so to speak. It is a pre-emptive type of movement, more specifically it messes up the rythm for the uke, they immediately become out of sync. It is always fun to work on that. :D

Good to see you online. Great post!

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Dan,
The word that is the original is chuto hanpa .... The meaning in Japanese is that you are not quite one way, and not quite another...
I don't see what the big deal is here...The way I interpret 中途半端 (chuuto hanpa) in a Bujinkan context is "don't try so hard".

If you're executing a technique correctly, it doesn't need to be forced; leverage, gravity etc do alot (50%?) of the work for you...

By the looks of this thread, it seems some people are trying too hard....
icon10.gif

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Kizaru,

Your post is spot on! Just relax and go with the flow,
and if you are training hard it will happen!

Brian R. VanCise

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kizaru said:
I don't see what the big deal is here...The way I interpret ???? (chuuto hanpa) in a Bujinkan context is "don't try so hard".[/img]

I dunno.... I was there when Hatsumi first seemed to have used it and remember the way it was explained. You don't give the other guy something to work off of because it is not one way or another.

But I can't count the number of times I have seen Japanese tell the students to not be so serious (majime) with the way they do things. So what you say is pretty damn important. The guys I was talking about in training were pretty damn (majime) about what they were doing instead of just easing up and letting the technique happen.

Latest Discussions