5 reasons TaeKwonDo as a system (not individual techniques) breaks down in a Muay Thai ring

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Let's be real, if you get beat up in a Muay Thai ring against a specific opponent, then odds are the same will result in a no-holds-barred street fight. I don't think the Muay Thai fighter out in the street will crawl into a fetus position simply because open hand strikes are added to the mix

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Let's be real, if you get beat up in a Muay Thai ring against a specific opponent, then odds are the same will result in a no-holds-barred street fight. I don't think the Muay Thai fighter out in the street will crawl into a fetus position simply because open hand strikes are added to the mix

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do believe however that a modern day TaeKwondo master with a natural ability to fight (that is to say mentality and skillset that go hand in hand) would beat the Muay Thai guys from 1964 that the Kyokushi team beat, due to the superior athlete syndrome:D. I would like to think that athletes got that much better that even an outsider, like a TKD guy, would win against someone from the 60s, if the TKD guy was sent back in a time machine.

Last edited:

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do believe however that a modern day TaeKwondo master with a natural ability to fight (that is to say mentality and skillset that go hand in hand) would beat the Muay Thai guys from 1964 that the Kyokushi team beat, due to the superior athlete syndrome:D. I would like to think that athletes got that much better that even an outsider, like a TKD guy, would win against someone from the 60s, if the TKD guy was sent back in a time machine.
Who cares.....time machine? seriously what do you think this is doctor who? Who'd win in 60s v today? Who cares...man seriously why does this matter to you so much just get on with your training and work on bettering yourself do the best you cAn do with what you have. Even if you don't like your school just make do with what you can and be as good as you possibly can good luck to you

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Who cares.....time machine? seriously what do you think this is doctor who? Who'd win in 60s v today? Who cares

I believe in the athlete equivalence of the Flynn effect.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Flynn effect first manifested itself when people of average IQ of the new generation took IQ tests from the 60s and scored in the genius range. Pretty amazing, and scary.....

Some form of equivalence in atheletes is probably in effect too.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IQ tests from the 60s.

That could be a movie, right there.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Is this true? Like, if it's a no-holds-barred street fight, you can grab a knife or tire iron, right?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What on earth are you talking about?

You are never going to make it as a comedy writer you know.

The Flynn effect first manifested itself when people of average IQ of the new generation took IQ tests from the 60s and scored in the genius range. Pretty amazing, and scary.....

Some form of equivalence in atheletes is probably in effect too.

Which 'new' generation is that then?

The Flynn effect

The Flynn effect is named after James R. Flynn, a New Zealand based political scientist. He discovered that IQ scores worldwide appear to be slowly rising at a rate of around three IQ points per decade. Attempted explanations have included improved nutrition, a trend towards smaller families, better education, greater environmental complexity, and heterosis. Tests are therefore renormalized occasionally to obtain mean scores of 100, for example WISC-R (1974), WISC-III (1991) and WISC-IV (2003). Hence it is difficult to compare IQ scores measured years apart, unless this is compensated for. There is recent evidence that the tendency for intelligence scores to rise has ended in some first world countries.

Not exactly people scoring genius level then. Intelligence Tests

I'm not sure why you are bringing up karateka beating MT when your OP is about MT beating TKD, it is irrelevant.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is this true? Like, if it's a no-holds-barred street fight, you can grab a knife or tire iron, right?

I was referring to weapons free no-holds-barred challenge match. And yes, I would bet on the same guy that won in the ring, if he won convincingly. Wouldn't you?

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
What on earth are you talking about?

You seemed to imply that the rule restriction in a ring was in favor of the Muay Thai Fighter and handicapped the TaeKwondo fighter. I don't believe if the TKD guy got slaughtered in a ring, that he would stand a better chance in a street fight against the same fighter. If both were unarmed that is...

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was referring to weapons free no-holds-barred challenge match. And yes, I would bet on the same guy that won in the ring, if he won convincingly. Wouldn't you?

I'm sorry, I'm still not clear on the rules of the no-holds-barred challenge match. Are your friends allowed to help you fight?

How about sucker-punching? Are you allowed to attack the other guy before he even knows there's a fight on?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
tenor.gif

loneranger2-gif_190048.gif

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I'm still not clear on the rules of the no-holds-barred challenge match. Are your friends allowed to help you fight?

How about sucker-punching? Are you allowed to attack the other guy before he even knows there's a fight on?

No. Let's assume a respectful challenge match took place, only this time with all unarmed means allowed, and no protection of any kind worn.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You seemed to imply that the rule restriction in a ring was in favor of the Muay Thai Fighter and handicapped the TaeKwondo fighter. I don't believe if the TKD guy got slaughtered in a ring, that he would stand a better chance in a street fight against the same fighter. If both were unarmed that is...

I can't imagine why I'd think Muay Thai fighters would have the advantage in a Muay Thai match............ like it would have anything to do with experience or knowing how to fight Muay Thai ? If a TKDist lost ( 'lost' such a better word than slaughtered) in a MT bout all it means is that they lost a MT bout, it's a competition not an altercation on the 'street. MT fighters get beaten in the MT ring because it is, I repeat, a competition.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
No. Let's assume a respectful challenge match took place, only this time with all unarmed means allowed, and no protection of any kind worn.
So are they allowed to kick the groin, poke the eyes, bite, spit, pull hair, elbow to the spine, hit the back of head, head butt or use joint manipulation

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't imagine why I'd think Muay Thai fighters would have the advantage in a Muay Thai match............ .

Me neither, if both arts are equal, given the generous rule set.:)

Latest Discussions