MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Pro-wrestlers are very underrated actors and actresses, considering they perform day in and day out 300 plus days a year. Alot of the "old-school" wrestlers stayed in character even out of the ring for the most part as well. Some of the stories some of the old school "heels" had about fans believing their character so much that they would physically get assaulted. Not to mention performing and staying in character while dealing with injuries in the ring, Catus Jack having part of his ear ripped off, Vader having his eye popped out during a match are a few examples.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mickey Roarke starred in a very good film about the Pro Wrestlers and the film showed what a good part of it is about... especially for the old-timers who still want to re-live or retain their former glory. If you haven't seen it check it out. It's very well done. It's called simply: "The Wrestler" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1125849/

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just a couple of weeks ago, I was training in a boxing class with a big guy who said he was a pro wrestler. I asked him what he thought was his best move. He showed me a throw that requires his opponent to allow the lift, then the opponent breakfalls out of it. All choreographed! He actually had no techniques of use at all. He was selected because of his appearance, not his ability. Sad really. :asian:

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mickey Roarke starred in a very good film about the Pro Wrestlers and the film showed what a good part of it is about... especially for the old-timers who still want to re-live or retain their former glory. If you haven't seen it check it out. It's very well done. It's called simply: "The Wrestler" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1125849/

The Wrestler is an excellent movie and you're right it does capture what it's like for alot of wresters that try to relive or retain their former glory and the effects it has on their bodies and relationships with their families.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just a couple of weeks ago, I was training in a boxing class with a big guy who said he was a pro wrestler. I asked him what he thought was his best move. He showed me a throw that requires his opponent to allow the lift, then the opponent breakfalls out of it. All choreographed! He actually had no techniques of use at all. He was selected because of his appearance, not his ability. Sad really. :asian:[/quote

The choreography that is involved in the matches requires that both folks work with and off of each other to "sell" the moves.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a couple of weeks ago, I was training in a boxing class with a big guy who said he was a pro wrestler. I asked him what he thought was his best move. He showed me a throw that requires his opponent to allow the lift, then the opponent breakfalls out of it. All choreographed! He actually had no techniques of use at all. He was selected because of his appearance, not his ability. Sad really. :asian:

The choreography that is involved in the matches requires that both folks work with and off of each other to "sell" the moves.
Note, though, that this in no way reduces the athleticism and skill required to do it well. To do a lot of what they do, and not seriously injure each other, takes a lot of skill and work.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Note, though, that this in no way reduces the athleticism and skill required to do it well. To do a lot of what they do, and not seriously injure each other, takes a lot of skill and work.

Oh absolutely, that's exactly the point that I was trying to make. I know alot of people turn their noses down at professional wrestling and "it's fake", "they're not real wrestlers", etc..., but the training they go through is very tough and they are very skilled at what they do.