It has been up at least a year I think.

Those five forms sound pretty cool.

I'll abstain from further comments. :rolleyes:

But I see now how you get into so much trouble. :D

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi Folks!
I have seen "The Belt" series of forms [the 5 forms to black belt] They are all old hung gar based or composite kung fu forms that have been incorporated into some kenpo systems [such as Tracy's] I have met Mr. Ibrao at both of the "Gathering of the Eagles" in Las Vegas and I have seen his "Tiger and Crane set" seminar!
I was asked by a local black belt from new england if i could go over the first form with him and "fill in the blanks". I found the form to be a conglomeration of nothern and southern shaolin,praying mantis, and hung gar kung fu.
The forms include book set [or panther set] Tiger and crane, among others,although these are the alleged original sets [though i've seen different variations] These were taught to James Ibrao from Jimmy wing woo.
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

OP
B

brianhunter

the devil makes Kirk do it!!!

I like the forms, especially book set, and tiger crane,

Gom Gong Kuen, and Si Ping Kuen are forms he (Sifu Ibrao) said he developed with his instructor. Gung Gi is a hung gar form I think most people know it as "Taming the Tiger" or "Tempting the Tiger"

He's a nice guy and has answered all my questions about "old" kenpo etc.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KENPOJOE
...The forms include book set [or panther set]....
KenpoJoe,

Can you tell me why Book Set is called Book Set?
And Panther Set for that matter.

I know Book Set and Tiger and Crane were taught to Mr. Duffy by Mr. Swan back in the NCKKA days. I have never seen them but I know a lot of good guys that had to learn them. I'm sure those 5 forms are all very good.

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by cdhall
KenpoJoe,

Can you tell me why Book Set is called Book Set?
And Panther Set for that matter.

book set (Bun Gi) was picked up by Mr Parker in a book in a library near china town hence the name Book set

Tiger Crane is a hung gar form, sometimes hung gar is called the Tiger Crane system because of it. Mr C. told me once that Mr Parker taught it as a filler untill he had his own forms developed for kenpo

OP
N

Nate_Hoopes

OMG I was taught book set.... weird... had no idea where it came from... I have to learn tiger and crane sometime before my BB too.

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

anyone else think that guy looks like Pat Morietta?

Latest Discussions