48 Hours to Stop the Broadcast Flag

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Importance of writes "Think the Broadcast Flag is dead? EFF is warning that Hollywood is trying to sneak the broadcast flag into law as an amendment to a massive appropriations bill. 'If what we hear is true, the provision will be introduced before a subcommittee tomorrow and before the full appropriations committee on Thursday. That gives us 48 hours to stop it.' Action Alert here. List of Senator's phone numbers here."

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/06/21/010242.shtml?tid=129&tid=103&tid=17

More poo from the entertainment industry...

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So if this passes you will actually have to buy a DVD instead of just recording it off HBO and burning the DVD?

Oh the horror.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it violates the concept of "Fair Use", but I haven't looked into it much.

From SlashDot:""6/21/2005: Committee on Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science and Related Agencies. Approved for full committee consideration without amendment favorably." Translation: No one attempted to sneak the Broadcast flag into law.""

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ginshun said:
So if this passes you will actually have to buy a DVD instead of just recording it off HBO and burning the DVD?

Oh the horror.
No, what it means is that if you are away and try and record it for later veiwing, you will be unable to.

The broadcast flag rule would have required all signal demodulators to "recognize and give effect to" a broadcast flag, forcing them not to record or output an unencrypted high-def digital signal if the flag were set.
Meaning no more set-top DVD recorders, no more TiVo, etc etc...

You would have to go back to an old fashioned VCR if you wanted to record somthing while you were away... or, of course, stay home and watch the program.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No more TiVo? I loooooove my TiVo!

The DVR folks would work something out with the industry, I'd guess.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
No, what it means is that if you are away and try and record it for later veiwing, you will be unable to.

Meaning no more set-top DVD recorders, no more TiVo, etc etc...

You would have to go back to an old fashioned VCR if you wanted to record somthing while you were away... or, of course, stay home and watch the program.
That WOULD suck, I suppose.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ginshun said:
That WOULD suck, I suppose.
I dont watch a lot of TV, with the Exception of the Sheild... and it airs durring Class on tuesday nights... Id hate to have to not train to stay home and watch TV because the MPAA said I couldnt record it and watch it later.

:D

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Until, of course, they tried to show that using a vcr to record broadcast flagged media is a violation of the DMCA...

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Until, of course, they tried to show that using a vcr to record broadcast flagged media is a violation of the DMCA...
Maybe the whole country needs to turn the damn things off and stop buying their products for a while. We could all do something healthy for a while. Who needs 'em anyway. Tell those over-paid parasites that they can keep their "intellectual property" because we ain't buyin'.