Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
24 Hours on the 'Big Stick'
What you can learn about America on the deck of the USS 'Theodore Roosevelt.'
by P.J. O'Rourke
04/28/2008, Volume 013, Issue 31
The Weekly Standard
Excerpt:

Landing on an aircraft carrier is...To begin with, you travel out to the carrier on a powerful, compact, and chunky aircraft--a weight-lifter version of a regional airline turboprop. This is a C-2 Greyhound, named after the wrong dog. C-2 Flying Pit Bull is more like it. In fact what everyone calls the C-2 is the "COD." This is an acronym for "Curling the hair Of Dumb reporters," although they tell you it stands for "Carrier Onboard Delivery."
There is only one window in the freight/passenger compartment, and you're nowhere near it. Your seat faces aft. Cabin lighting and noise insulation are absent. The heater is from the parts bin at the Plymouth factory in 1950. You sit reversed in cold, dark cacophony while the airplane maneuvers for what euphemistically is called a "landing." The nearest land is 150 miles away. And the plane doesn't land; its tailhook snags a cable on the carrier deck. The effect is of being strapped to an armchair and dropped backwards off a balcony onto a patio. There is a fleeting moment of unconsciousness. This is a good thing, as is being far from the window, because what happens next is that the COD reels the hooked cable out the entire length of the carrier deck until a big, fat nothing is between you and a plunge in the ocean, should the hook, cable, or pilot's judgment snap. Then, miraculously, you're still alive.
Landing on an aircraft carrier was the most fun I'd ever had with my trousers on. And the 24 hours that I spent aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt--the "Big Stick"--were an equally unalloyed pleasure. I love big, moving machinery. And machinery doesn't get any bigger, or more moving, than a U.S.-flagged nuclear-powered aircraft carrier that's longer than the Empire State Building is tall and possesses four acres of flight deck. This four acres, if it were a nation, would have the fifth or sixth largest airforce in the world--86 fixed wing aircraft plus helicopters.
The Theodore Roosevelt and its accompanying cruisers, destroyers, and submarines can blow up most of the military of most of the countries on earth. God has given America a special mission. Russia can barely blow up Chechnya. China can blow up Tibet, maybe, and possibly Taiwan. And the EU can't blow up Liechtenstein. But the USA can blow up .  .  . gosh, where to start?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Theodore Roosevelt and its accompanying cruisers, destroyers, and submarines can blow up most of the military of most of the countries on earth. God has given America a special mission. Russia can barely blow up Chechnya. China can blow up Tibet, maybe, and possibly Taiwan. And the EU can't blow up Liechtenstein. But the USA can blow up .  .  . gosh, where to start?

Anyone but me see the incongruity of this particular sentence, in this particularly ridiculous paragraph?

I mean, the USA can incinerate pretty well the whole damn world, and we don't need an aircraft carrier, cruiser or destroyer to do it-we don't need those adolescent flight deck crews he goes on about, and we don't need fighter pilots-all we really need is someone like John McCain or Hilary Clinton in office willing to push the button under the right circumstances-which, thanks to our present regime-we pretty much will be under for a long time.

We've got a stockpile of more than 12,000 nuclear weapons-something like 1500-2200 are currently deployed as missile warheads, and something like another 1,000 are operational-with something more than 9,000 in "reserve stockpile." We've got enough nuclear firepower to burn a million Hiroshimas.
:angry::eek:verkill:
The rest of the "article" is fairly righteous "Rah-rah" for John McCain (that means I agree with that part: John McCain is a basically decent man who's served his country honorably, as do the young men and women of the USS Theodore Roosevelt)-but this one paragraph makes it pretty clear to me that it was written by a stupid git......

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I very distrustful when large amounts of potential violence are conflated with some sort of alleged divine mission. My "duck and cover" instincts are activated.

Latest Discussions