newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Let us celebrate this auspicious event. We can celebrate by posting a hyperlink to a video of The Boss, unplugged, while the internets are still not ruled by evil corporations that will filter out data based by content!

To Bruce Springsteen!

Thanks, Boss!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
*yawn*

Once again a celebrity makes a political statement because they are a celebrity, and yet once again, try as I might I just can't bring myself to give a rusty mother****.

I personally see it that way... the President of the United States is not like some laxative or hair removal product to be purchased because a rock star endorses it.

But I see this as an endorsement with the specific intent of helping Obama survive "Bittergate". Obama is being relentlessly slimed by the desperate and hypocritical Klinton machine as being elitist and out of touch with the working class (quite something to be alleging, given the big numbers posted on the Klinton tax returns). I think Springsteen did this to bring a stop to this mud slinging. You may not chose a candidate in this way, but the Boss is banking his endorsement may cause some blue collar guys to say," well if Bruce says Obama's okay...."

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
we, he DID say what he said, and it did come across as being completely out of touch with middle America

Obama pretty much deserves what he is eating the last couple months

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It really pisses me off that these celebrities think they have some right to talk about politics and world policy. They're just some schmuck with a mic....with no more right to talk about it than ANYONE ELSE.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Forgive the language but it is Denis Leary after all

From Denis Leary - No Cure for Cancer

And I also don't go for this other thing now, with MTV being so big where you get a band that gets a hit video, and all of the sudden they think that they're like icons and they can tell us how to feel about environmental issues and how to vote and stuff. You know what I'm talking about? Like R.E.M. "Shiny Happy People" "Hey Hey Hey Hey Hey! Pull that bus over to the side of the pretentiousness turnpike, alright!? I want everybody off the bus. I want the shiny people over here, and the happy people over here, ok! I represent angry gun-toting meat-eating ****ing people, alright!" Sit down and shut the **** up Michael! Don Henley's gonna tell me how to vote. I don't ****ing think so, ok? I got two words for Don Henley, Joe ****ing Walsh, ok!? Thanks for calling, Don! How long's your pony tail now? Ok!

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, everybody has the right to talk about politics.... it just gets no media notice when the other 99.9% of us do.

I don't so much mind celebs - on behalf of both sides - issuing whatever (usually stupid) statements they want on peace, love and politics...... what I mind is that it works with the sheeple.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It really pisses me off that these celebrities think they have some right to talk about politics and world policy. They're just some schmuck with a mic....with no more right to talk about it than ANYONE ELSE.

Which is exactly what they're doing, talking about it. It's their right to speak, and their sway with the public is, frankly, up to the public. I will never cease to be amazed by people who complain about celebrities' power when it's the American public who basically give such power to them.

Unless you think we should restrict all citizens who receive a certain amount of media attention (celebrities) from speaking about public issues?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anyone who votes for anyone based on, well, anyone else's endorsement is too stupid to be allowed to vote. If YOU don't feel that person is the best candidate for the job for YOUR reasons, don't vote for them!

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
QFT

but, Springsteen is pretty cool
Dang Straight!

He lives behind a big wall nowadays, but he has to, because people would come around and bother him all of the time otherwise. He's also rich nowadays, but the last time he came to my city, he was walking around (in a fancy suit) talking to people everywhere. I didn't see him, but there were pictures in the newspaper. He's a regular guy.

And, Hillary Clinton is the one that is out of touch with the everyday person! Obama is not so out of touch as she is! Barack Obama will be the best Democratic Candidate of the two, and I am confident that he will win the nomination!

He says things, and then Hillary Clinton twists his words around, making them to sound like things that were never intended! Political tricks!

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu

I don't so much mind celebs - on behalf of both sides - issuing whatever (usually stupid) statements they want on peace, love and politics...... what I mind is that it works with the sheeple.

Yes to both posts above.

In the immortal words of the sainted Moe Howard,,,,"Every time you think, you weaken the nation!"

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think I'll wait and see who Brit Brit and Lindsey are voting for before I make my final decision.

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think I'll wait and see who Brit Brit and Lindsey are voting for before I make my final decision.

Well, I can't speak for Brit Brit or Lindsey, but...

I, newGuy12, now formally submit to you that I am endorsing Barack Obama for the Democratic nominee for President of the United States!

This is now "on the record"!

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I may withdraw my endorsement, of course, if he does anything goofy. But I will not vote for Hillary in the primary. That is written in stone.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear ya. I fell bad for the democrats this time around. Well, a little I guess. They would have much better chances in the general election if they had gone with a moderate like Lieberman.

But If i was stuck picking between Hillary the carpetbagger, or Barack "typical white people" Obama, i would be pulling my hair out right now.

They are both pretty much un-electable in the general election.

BUT, you never know.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
They would have much better chances in the general election if they had gone with a moderate like Lieberman.

You mean the Lieberman who left the party? The one who is stumping for McCain? Wow, what a fantastic Democratic candidate. ;)

All that besides the fact that Holy Joe is pretty unelectable for a variety of reasons, not least the fact that he sounds like Kermit the Frog.

Latest Discussions