2012 Olympic Welter Male Prediction

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gold Ramin Azizov AZE
Silver Aaron Cook GBR
Bronze Yousef Karimi IRI
Bronze Issam Chernoubi MAR

Lopez has a very tough draw. Michaud, Karimi and Azizov are in his bracket. If he wins Gold it would be his greatest achievement.

Got the names and rankings off Mas TKD. Did the Brackets after that....

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Might not be helped that I'm a Brit, but I really fancy Aaron for Gold. He's obviously just coming off a dramatic win against Azizov at the Euros, but he seemed to have the measure of him with Azizov trying to avoid rather than beat Cook. I think it really could be the turning point in their run of matches against each other.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gold Ramin Azizov AZE
Silver Aaron Cook GBR
Bronze Yousef Karimi IRI
Bronze Issam Chernoubi MAR

Lopez has a very tough draw. Michaud, Karimi and Azizov are in his bracket. If he wins Gold it would be his greatest achievement.

Got the names and rankings off Mas TKD. Did the Brackets after that....

I see it this way

Aaron Cook GOLD
Ramin Azizov Silver
Yousef Karimi Bronze
Steven Lopez Bronze

Steven has made changes to his game to get better, his timing is some of the best. He only downfall is age right now.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I hope so I really want Aaron to win. This is a great division. Win I look at the history and taking an unbiased look this is my prediction.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I see it this way

Aaron Cook GOLD
Ramin Azizov Silver
Yousef Karimi Bronze
Steven Lopez Bronze

Steven has made changes to his game to get better, his timing is some of the best. He only downfall is age right now.

unfortunately Lopez got a bad draw based on his world ranking and will fight Karimi in the quater finals. Steven did not fight much over the last 2 years causing him to drop in the rankings.

Based on my calculations it will not be possible for both Karimi and Lopez to win Bronze. If Karimi wins Gold or Silver Lopez could win a Bronze thru Repecharge.

Lopez will have to beat Michaud, Karimi and Azizov in that order to make the finals. The he will face Aaron Cook in the finals the way I see it. A very tall order.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
unfortunately Lopez got a bad draw based on his world ranking and will fight Karimi in the quater finals. Steven did not fight much over the last 2 years causing him to drop in the rankings.

Based on my calculations it will not be possible for both Karimi and Lopez to win Bronze. If Karimi wins Gold or Silver Lopez could win a Bronze thru Repecharge.

Lopez will have to beat Michaud, Karimi and Azizov in that order to make the finals. The he will face Aaron Cook in the finals the way I see it. A very tall order.

Thanks I have not seen the brackets so I am going solely base on talent and determination. Can you post those bracket or give me the website?

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Had a conversation with some friends recently and we had this discussion. I'm going for Steven Lopez based on patriotism and the fact that this is last rodeo. Steven has so much that he hasn't shown the world since the late 90s with the multitude of kicks he is able to throw. He hasn't because of his strategy. Is this is his draw....he will defeat Michaud, Karimi if he doesn't leg check, and Azizov has game but Steven will bring up he game. Aaron Cook has a lot of confidence, but I think Steven is gonna go out with guns blazing!!!

This is a stacked division!!! It could go many different ways. Steven handles pressure like Michael Jordan. As long as he's healthy and motivated. If it gets down to Steven and Aaron in the finals. It may be better than the 1991 World Taekwondo Championship Welterweight quarterfinals match with James Villasana (USA) vs. Patrice Remarck (Ivory Coast). That's bar none the great TKD fight I've ever seen!!!

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree with you about Steven if he is able to pull it off it will be his greatest achievement. At the age of 34 I just don't see him being able to beat Michaud, Karimi, Azizov and Cook. He will beat Michaud. He has always had his number. He lost to an Irainin at the world qualifier. TJ Curry gave him a tough fight at team trials. I just don't see it in the cards. You make a good point if anyone can do it he can!

Had a conversation with some friends recently and we had this discussion. I'm going for Steven Lopez based on patriotism and the fact that this is last rodeo. Steven has so much that he hasn't shown the world since the late 90s with the multitude of kicks he is able to throw. He hasn't because of his strategy. Is this is his draw....he will defeat Michaud, Karimi if he doesn't leg check, and Azizov has game but Steven will bring up he game. Aaron Cook has a lot of confidence, but I think Steven is gonna go out with guns blazing!!!

This is a stacked division!!! It could go many different ways. Steven handles pressure like Michael Jordan. As long as he's healthy and motivated. If it gets down to Steven and Aaron in the finals. It may be better than the 1991 World Taekwondo Championship Welterweight quarterfinals match with James Villasana (USA) vs. Patrice Remarck (Ivory Coast). That's bar none the great TKD fight I've ever seen!!!

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks I have not seen the brackets so I am going solely base on talent and determination. Can you post those bracket or give me the website?

I pulled the rankings off MAS TKD and put them in a 16 seed bracket. It should be right. It is only an educated prediction based of what I know of the seeding rules.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know we have Safwan Khalil and Carmen Marton going to the olympics for tkd, but I know very little about them.

They are both ranked numder 13 in the world. It will be a stretch for either of them to medal but who knows. It is quite impressive that they qualified. Maybe they will surprise some people.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
LopEz lost to Karimi at the world qualification tournament 5-4. He lost a 4 point lead and faded bad at the end. Karimi has a better EBP game than Lopez. The 2 point back kick that they gave Lopez would not have scored on the Daedo system because it hit Karimi in the hip. Remember this was not an EBP tournament because of the Lajust lawsuit.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know we have Safwan Khalil and Carmen Marton going to the olympics for tkd, but I know very little about them.

Marton lost to D. Lopez at the world qualification tournament 5-1. Never really able to press Diane.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
They are both ranked numder 13 in the world. It will be a stretch for either of them to medal but who knows. It is quite impressive that they qualified. Maybe they will surprise some people.
Thanks for the info. Im glad I have some Aussies to cheer on, although I am a big fan of Aaron cook, I really like the way he fights from what Ive seen.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
With Cook out looks like I got this one wrong! Wow! Very Very bad!

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Let's hope they they get this right!!!

Here's the Associated Press' projections for medalists in all gender and weight categories. It's interesting they've left out some very strong Africans in the heavy weight male division including Daba Modibo Keita of Mali and Nigeria's Chika Chukwumerije. I'm putting my money on Keita.

Medal projections:

Women

49-kilogram

Gold: Shu Chun Yang, Chinese Taipei

Silver: Jingyu Wu, China

Bronze: Rukiye Yildirim, Turkey, Sanaa Atabrour, Morocco

57-kilogram

Gold: Hou Yuzhuo, China

Silver: Li Cheng Tseng, Chinese Taipei

Bronze: Diana Lopez, U.S.A., Marlene Harnois, France

67-kilogram

Gold: Hwang Kyung-Sun, South Korea