Obesity Wave

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Today HBO airs Part 1 and 2 of what's being hailed as a landmark documentary about obesity in America. What are you taekwondoin who run their own dojangs doing to capitalize on the new awareness that's likely to be created by the documentary. Among the things the documentary reveals is that the current generation of youth is likely to be the first not to live as long as their parents because of fat.

Last edited:

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No real ideas yet but this is something I would like to involve our school in. In our survey of new students, most everyone checks off 'get in better shape' as one of the top 3 reasons they are joining. We would be remiss if we didn't emphasize personal fitness and wellness in the classes.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teaching that a computer is a tool and not a toy is a beginning.
Martial arts is much more broader and wider then just self defense or sport. A well rounded curriculum on over all health consisting of food intake as well as the right kind of exercises to crucial. We also need Sensei that walk the walk and talk the talk.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, considering your students are your best adverts, better make sure they are fit and trim. No fatties doing sine wave. ;)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting you mention that. I have a friend that teaches TKD in another part of New England and that has been one of her concerns. She used to teach at a university after deciding to go back to school herself and finish her degree.. She was talking with one of her students who was overweight and fiercely struggling with weight loss. Her solution (other than encouraging the student to attend class) was to eat lunch with the student a few days per week in the college cafe, hoping that the company would encourage healthier meal selection and provide a distraction from the temptations that weren't as healthy. The idea worked out so well that she had nearly half the class joining her for lunch three days a week, and from what I have gathered, everyone progressed towards their goal. The key, in her opinion, was the fellowship and support and not just do-this-do-that.

Now she teaches at a school separate from the college environment and doesn't have the same ability to reach out to her students the way she could when in the university environment and is struggling with how to re-create the same successful support with students that have different lives.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As business owners (martial school in this case) a lot of new clients come out of fear of this and that... Ride the wave :)

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
interesting. wasnt aware that HBO was doing something like this. I'll have to check it out. I think anything that encourages people to get out and move is good. Todays society are couch commandos. Excellent in the tactics of urban warfare and battlefield domination... but can run a mile. I'd like to hand some of these kids 1 time my M4 with 240 rds (thats only 6 clips) and see how easy it is to lug around in full tac gear.

Again, we really need to motivate this generation to the reality of life and get them participating in anything physical. hope this atleast lights a spark.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Many of you probably know this but fructose or liquid sugar especially Capri Sun packets and the like are responsible for alot of weight gain in kids today we are not meant to get our calories in liquid form but to chew and even the no calorie drinks if they taste sweet trick the body into putting any food after to fat. drink water milk and limited pure juices. I just jumped a parent last night one of our star 10year old just jumped 20 pounds in the last 60 days and his father said I will put him right in the sauna I told him do you want to kill your kid? sauna is not good for young people and with over weight he has high blood presure any way adjust his diet and we need 30 minutes extra a day cardio for him great kid very strong but only child momma's boy dad great trains in our weight room every class but lke many parent do not realize your not loving your kid letting them eat anything and as much as they want your going to give them organ and other issues for the rest of thier adult life say No! say You have to period

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One of the best ways to help your students is to be in shape yourself; LEAD FROM THE FRONT! If they see you working they will be far more receptive to training as they see the results.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Excellent in the tactics of urban warfare and battlefield domination... but CAN"T run a mile. ..

im an idiot. After re-reading my post, I corrected it above. was too late to edit.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
interesting. wasnt aware that HBO was doing something like this. I'll have to check it out. I think anything that encourages people to get out and move is good. Todays society are couch commandos. Excellent in the tactics of urban warfare and battlefield domination... but can run a mile. I'd like to hand some of these kids 1 time my M4 with 240 rds (thats only 6 clips) and see how easy it is to lug around in full tac gear.

Again, we really need to motivate this generation to the reality of life and get them participating in anything physical. hope this atleast lights a spark.

And for some more fun throw in a gas mask :armed:

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One of the best ways to help your students is to be in shape yourself; LEAD FROM THE FRONT! If they see you working they will be far more receptive to training as they see the results.
I agree.

One marketing campaign that I am going to launch towards adults is "An alternative way to losing weight". Most people think of just running, weight lifting, aerobics when it comes to weight loss. I am trying to market the classes as an alternative way to achieve those fitness goals while they learn traditional martial arts.

The hardest part for kids, especially during this time of year, is that parents still do not see as a mainstream activity. For the most part they are enrolling their kids in the usual baseball or soccer. For this I am trying to push a competition team where the work out is more rigorous than our regular martial art class.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think its important to be honest with students that diet plays the most significant role in weight loss. You can run marathons, climb mountains, do MA 7 days a week, BUT, without adjusting diet the results will be minimal. I worked as a personal trainer in a gym for years and it was surprising how many people want to lose weight through exercise alone with little emphasis on what is going into their body. To be honest, if weight loss is your number one goal there are much better things to do than tkd. But, tkd is a good start.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think its important to be honest with students that diet plays the most significant role in weight loss. You can run marathons, climb mountains, do MA 7 days a week, BUT, without adjusting diet the results will be minimal. I worked as a personal trainer in a gym for years and it was surprising how many people want to lose weight through exercise alone with little emphasis on what is going into their body. To be honest, if weight loss is your number one goal there are much better things to do than tkd. But, tkd is a good start.

Its a wonderful thing to be thin and looking good but the majority of peopel are not and a super trained looking person who only thinks of himself and how he trains with out experience in training people who have health issues never been off the couch will not reach them people need to be taught its about feeling good self acceptance performing just for your self not some image of a magazine or other things and ever person has equal value then with nutrition not diet which is negative feeling good with a supportive group the body will be and do what it is supposed to. A majority of out of shap people trying to do Yoga that Yoga's do will kill them and they stop majority of peopel who step in a full on MA class or cardio class will stop due to injury or not able to handle the self image compared to the beautiful people. I find that many of the elite so to speak MA teachers are look at me look at me do like me and some people could actually pass out or fall over just from attempting way beyond thier ability and a good trainer will motivate and help them make steady progess with physical as well as mental support.

The largest potential market in commecial MA studios is for below and in trouble youth and adults and there is all kinds of non profit money willing to pay on thier behalf way beyond competition of any kind.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
...In our survey of new students, most everyone checks off 'get in better shape' as one of the top 3 reasons they are joining. We would be remiss if we didn't emphasize personal fitness and wellness in the classes.
When I joined, I had to check the appropriate box. The school had "fitness", "self-defence", "discipline", etc....and I said "but you don't have "learn taekwondo"!".

In all seriousness, I DELAYED joining taekwondo because I felt it would get in the way of fitness. After work, I did weights and ran, and I felt that taekwondo was more about the art and fun than fitness. I still feel that for fitness alone, I am better off doing weights, running, etc. than going to a TKD class.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I joined, I had to check the appropriate box. The school had "fitness", "self-defence", "discipline", etc....and I said "but you don't have "learn taekwondo"!".

In all seriousness, I DELAYED joining taekwondo because I felt it would get in the way of fitness. After work, I did weights and ran, and I felt that taekwondo was more about the art and fun than fitness. I still feel that for fitness alone, I am better off doing weights, running, etc. than going to a TKD class.
I actually cut back on tkd recently by 1 day a week because it was adversely affecting my fitness. Im a cardio junkie, and unfortunately (from a strictly fitness angle) a martial arts class will usually have 'down' time where the instructor is demonstrating techs, or you are working on wrist locks, grabs etc. Tkd is a great start for someone who does no exercise and wants a good starting point, but if exercise is the main goal then running, aerobics, circuit training, squash or many other activities are far better suited.

OP
A

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Can I still say that this is still the greatest topic title on the entire forum.

I watched Par 1 & 2 of the documentary and I'm watching Part 3 as I type this. We have a very, very, very serious obesity problem in this country and the saddest part is how much it has spread to children. The whole thing should really make those of us who think martial arts is not for children to seriously rethink that position.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I watched Par 1 & 2 of the documentary and I'm watching Part 3 as I type this. We have a very, very, very serious obesity problem in this country and the saddest part is how much it has spread to children. The whole thing should really make those of us who think martial arts is not for children to seriously rethink that position.

I am all for children doing Martial Arts... I think most of us are against children holding "adult" ranks such as a brown or black belt.

Latest Discussions