20 most over rated movies of all time, discuss

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ROFL - that is one terrible film. Best watched whilst drunk with a bunch of irreverent mates (who are equally drunk) :D.

After all, there is a reason why there is an award sort-of named after it :).

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And now, to put something in your heads with very little effort. "Puberty Love," Thank you and good night.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And now, to put something in your heads with very little effort. "Puberty Love," Thank you and good night.
If that's a movie, I must'a missed that one.
Sean
Touch of Death, you have lived a sheltered life. You can ask Sukerkin about "Puberty Love."
I've never heard of it and when I used IMDB this is what came up... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084010/ Which was probably along the lines of this film... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084234/ A horrible teen sex comedy. One of those where I could've lived the rest of my life and died a happy man if I hadn't seen it. But unfortunately there was nothing better on HBO that night.

That says it all about a LOT of films that I've seen as well... Anyone remember a Johnny Depp tragedy called "The Ninth Gate" ? <shudders> what the hell THAT one was about I dunno.

Here's another one that is over-rated and rightly so because it died pretty quick at the box office... Peter Jackson's King Kong. Special effects were fantastic top of the line... the rest... :barf:

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch of Death, you have lived a sheltered life. You can ask Sukerkin about "Puberty Love."

:lol: Don't ask me - I've never heard of it. Just the title sounds dodgy on it's own.

I'm guessing it must be a 70's British sex comedy or somesuch?

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you have seen "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes," then you will know the dulcet tones of "Puberty Love."

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye I've seen it - but as noted, I was pretty darned drunk at the time ... and it was mumble ... mumble ... years ago :D

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I couldn't find a button for the link to the top 10 so ... (shrug).

Blade Runner overrated? Dunno. I remember it as being a pretty good flick.

And as for the Matrix, it may have become a joke (because of the sequels and overexposure) but on its release it was a helluva good story, and really well executed in spite of Keanu.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
For me, the success or failure of a movie has everything to do with just a few things. Did it surprise me (in a good way)? Did it make good on its promises? I'm not going to see a Disney Movie and expect it to be as thought provoking as a documentary. I'm not going to see a drama and expect it to make me laugh, nor would I go to a comedy and expect to leave depressed. The drama might make me laugh... but it MUST be successful as a drama FIRST. An action movie must be that FIRST.

My problems with Ang Lee's movies, in general, are that they tend to be feminized versions of traditionally masculine movie genres. In other words, chick flicks disguised as guy movies. But they're billed as guy movies. The Hulk: chick flick AND unsuccessful superhero movie. Brokeback Mountain: chick flick AND unsuccessful Western. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon chick flick AND unsuccessful MA movie. If any of these were successful in their genre AND a chick flick, I'd be fine with them. But they aren't.

So, having explained what I'm looking for in a movie, the Matrix was an extremely successful movie. It was interesting and unique, and was so iconic that it was almost immediately imitated to the point that it became cliche. And it was a terrific, thoughtful action movie. There was hand to hand fighting. Guns, explosions and awesome chase scenes. Cheesy dialogue, a good plot that honored the genre but didn't copy it and had cutting edge fx. IMO, any allegation of it being overrated MUST stem from the sequels, which were too psuedo-philosophical and taken too seriously. The first movie stands alone as a terrific science fiction/cyber punk action movie.

Without going into too much detail, Blade Runner is an excellent sci-fi homage to the old film noir movies.

I'll tell you a movie that is overrated: Another Year. One of this year's Best Screenplay Oscar nominees, this movie was ridiculous.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nicely put, Steve. I most especially concur about the Matrix - that movie rocked.

I can't agree about Crouching Hamster, Hidden Wombat tho'. The dojo fight scene is amazing in and of itself - I must've watched it dozens of times, including several runs in slow motion so I cold appreciate some of the fast hand moves better.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is another thing that drives me nuts, extreme, extreme close ups, of both regular scenes but especially fight scenes. I want to actually see what is going on, without getting sea sick or thinking that I am watching the movie through a cardboard, paper towel roll. Oh, I'm on the wrong thread, sorry. I will resubmit this in the shaky cam thread.

Latest Discussions