1st Geup Test Continued

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was able to get the video of me performing Hwa-Rang for my 1st Geup belt test. Feel free to comment and criticize/critique.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The video is apparently "private" -- if you go to YouTube and change the video's settings to "public" we'll be able to see it.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
The video is apparently "private" -- if you go to YouTube and change the video's settings to "public" we'll be able to see it.

I think I fixed it, let me know if you can see it now? Thanks!

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
ALL COMMENTS are for info only. If you do what your instructor wants do not change.

Kihaps in the middle - I am guessing you follow a Jhoon Rhee or He Il Cho standard? Twin Outer forearm seems to follow a Chung Do Kwan flavor as well. (As opposed to Rising / outer forearm block chamber) Two kicks in succession should be "Turning" / roundhouse and they look like front snap kicks.

knifehand guarding block is middle so fingertips should be shoulder level.
Downward strike should chamber / cross under.

Pressing block with X fist chamber / motion would start higher.

BTW do you know the textbook purpose of move #1. Overall I would try to make sure everything finishes at the same time. Often your feet finish before your hands when stepping.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ummm... why do you look at your feet when you assume a ready stance? Are you worried that they're no longer attached to the ends of your legs?

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
ALL COMMENTS are for info only. If you do what your instructor wants do not change.

Kihaps in the middle - I am guessing you follow a Jhoon Rhee or He Il Cho standard? Twin Outer forearm seems to follow a Chung Do Kwan flavor as well. (As opposed to Rising / outer forearm block chamber) Two kicks in succession should be "Turning" / roundhouse and they look like front snap kicks.

knifehand guarding block is middle so fingertips should be shoulder level.
Downward strike should chamber / cross under.

Pressing block with X fist chamber / motion would start higher.

BTW do you know the textbook purpose of move #1. Overall I would try to make sure everything finishes at the same time. Often your feet finish before your hands when stepping.

Thank You Master Weiss! All our forms have Ki-haps my instructor brought this along from his previous organization, Iternational Taekwon-do Alliance. They were founded by previous members of the ATA so I do not know if that links back to any of the two Masters you named. The Twin Outer forearm Block, I am assuming you are talking about move #4, is called a Square Block in our school. The chamber is from the hip The Arm that produces the low block goes on top of the arm that produces the High block. The manual on the form does state two round/turning kicks . They are supposed to be High kicks at 30 degrees in 'Fast Motion'. I displayed these incredibly poorly in the video,and wish my instructor would have asked me to do the form again, but he didn't. For the Knife-hand guarding block or Dbl. Knife-hand block at our school., are you talking about the hand that is over the chest. In that case we are taught 1 inch over the middle of the sternum . I also displayed this poorly since I see on some block my hand is by my abdomen. I do not know what you mean by the downward knife hand strike should cross under? We are just told to pull it form the punch and strike downward. For the X-block I started the motion around the hip area, around how much higher should it start? As far as my feet ending beofre my hands this is something I have been trying to improve for a while, I want to have everything end together.

I will tell you what we are taught as to how to use move #!, Palm Pushing block. We are taught it is used to deflect at opponents attack off course either upward or to the side toward your opposite shoulder. If this is not the textbook application then I would like to know what is.

Thanks again so much for your feedback I appreciate it!

Ummm... why do you look at your feet when you assume a ready stance? Are you worried that they're no longer attached to the ends of your legs?

LOL, that was hilarious DD. I honestly don't know why I did that. Maybe I was scared my feet would disappear and I wouldn't be able to do the form. I'm jk I have no idea why I did that. Thanks for commenting.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank You Master Weiss! All our forms have Ki-haps my instructor brought this along from his previous organization, Iternational Taekwon-do Alliance. They were founded by previous members of the ATA so I do not know if that links back to any of the two Masters you named. .

ATA Founder HU Lee was a Chung Do Kwan product so that explains the CDK flavor in moves such as the Twin Outer forearm / square block. Perhaps the Kihaps as well.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
. For the Knife-hand guarding block or Dbl. Knife-hand block at our school., are you talking about the hand that is over the chest. In that case we are taught 1 inch over the middle of the sternum . .

No, lead hand. For Blocks with open hand it's specified that a middle block has fingertips at shoulder level . (Closed hand block - Top of fist)

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
. I do not know what you mean by the downward knife hand strike should cross under? .

With certain exceptions (If prior move has it crossed differently like in Kwang Gae) downward strikes chamber with the striking arm placed under the withdrawing arm. This is how you might cross your arms to prepare for an inner forearm block like Chon Ji #9.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will tell you what we are taught as to how to use move #!, Palm Pushing block. We are taught it is used to deflect at opponents attack off course either upward or to the side toward your opposite shoulder. If this is not the textbook application then I would like to know what is.

The term "Pushing" when used in the name of the technique indicates it is used to unbalance an opponent. Pushing an arm will not accomplish this.

Textbook example. Stand in ready position with a person to your left. (Note how many pattern first moves would have the attacker to your left.) Lets use a clock for reference. You are in the center of a clock dial facing 12 and your attacker is to your left or 9:00 facing 3:00 in parallel stance . Before starting set distance so if person were to step right to an L stance, right foot forward and do a knifehand strike they would hit your throat. . Now before doing the block have them attack but simply stepping to sitting stance with your left foot. Note how you have now moved the intended target from the attacks point of focus. A principle often ignored in pattern application. Now, try the attack with the defense / palm pushing on the attackers right shoulder. Try this as attacker and defender. You should feel the unbalancing and how the block stifles the attack at the base. (Like if someone were to attack with a club. You would want to intercept the club at the base - not the end. )

Report back.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
For the X-block I started the motion around the hip area, around how much higher should it start? .

The textbook term is "Pressing Block with X Fist" Again, terms have specific meanings. "Pressing Blocks" are "Checking Blocks" for attacks directed to the low section.

Now, if you see how various blocks are performed you see how the most common ones tend to intercept attacks at a perpendicular angle and can not only redirect the limb but are intended to damage the limb as well.

Checking blocks on the other hand typicality oppose the attacking motion "head on" to stop the motion and even absorb the impact.

The chamber is done in a position "Similar" to a "W" shape block so that it travels in a downward and slightly forward motion to intercept a kick coming from the opposite direction.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
No, lead hand. For Blocks with open hand it's specified that a middle block has fingertips at shoulder level . (Closed hand block - Top of fist

So my lead hand on the block was too low?

With certain exceptions (If prior move has it crossed differently like in Kwang Gae) downward strikes chamber with the striking arm placed under the withdrawing arm. This is how you might cross your arms to prepare for an inner forearm block like Chon Ji #9.

What is the move in Kwang-Gae that you are referring to? We actually use a a variation of the form Kibon Hyung, and call it Chon-Ji but it does have 2 inner forearm blocks.

The term "Pushing" when used in the name of the technique indicates it is used to unbalance an opponent. Pushing an arm will not accomplish this.

Textbook example. Stand in ready position with a person to your left. (Note how many pattern first moves would have the attacker to your left.) Lets use a clock for reference. You are in the center of a clock dial facing 12 and your attacker is to your left or 9:00 facing 3:00 in parallel stance . Before starting set distance so if person were to step right to an L stance, right foot forward and do a knifehand strike they would hit your throat. . Now before doing the block have them attack but simply stepping to sitting stance with your left foot. Note how you have now moved the intended target from the attacks point of focus. A principle often ignored in pattern application. Now, try the attack with the defense / palm pushing on the attackers right shoulder. Try this as attacker and defender. You should feel the unbalancing and how the block stifles the attack at the base. (Like if someone were to attack with a club. You would want to intercept the club at the base - not the end. )

Report back.

Ahhh, Interesting. I will have to try this application. Our forms have been refined/altered (for lack of better words) over the last years. Hwa Rang Hyung, was named Hwa-Rang KATA, we used to be at a Kenjutsu school, and everything was Japanese terminology and my instructor adapted it. That form began with a Palm Heel Strike to the chest. Later he decided to go back to the Chang Hon forms that he was originally familiar with, and not the variations that he now had. My instructor still does the pushing block with a palm heel , as in the the fingers are curled in. Long story short, that is why I believe that we are taught the application is head on, but I I wondered how effective it would be to Palm Heel someone's front punch? I felt that I would be more messed up than my opponent.

The textbook term is "Pressing Block with X Fist" Again, terms have specific meanings. "Pressing Blocks" are "Checking Blocks" for attacks directed to the low section.

Now, if you see how various blocks are performed you see how the most common ones tend to intercept attacks at a perpendicular angle and can not only redirect the limb but are intended to damage the limb as well.

Checking blocks on the other hand typicality oppose the attacking motion "head on" to stop the motion and even absorb the impact.

The chamber is done in a position "Similar" to a "W" shape block so that it travels in a downward and slightly forward motion to intercept a kick coming from the opposite direction.

This is going to be tricky, our school omits Toi-Gye Hyung, so I haven't really seen the chamber for a 'W Shape' block yet. If my memory serves me correct I have seen our 1st Dan instructor do it for Ge-Baek Hyung and the chamber looked identical to the chamber for the Wedging Outer Forearm Block in Do-San. Arms crossed in front of the chest then snapped out into the block.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
No, lead hand. For Blocks with open hand it's specified that a middle block has fingertips at shoulder level . (Closed hand block - Top of fist)

Is there a Knifehand guarding block that I did with the hands in the right placement? It would be easier to go off of that. I met with our 1st dan instructor today because we do basic TKD classes for summer camp kids. I asked her about the placement for our Double Knife hand blocks, and she said to her knowledge we don't have specific placements as for where the finger tips should align. She just goes off her previous organization's placement which is: the lead arm at a 90 degree angle and the fingertips aligned even right under the eye level.

I just checked our student manual and the moves are just called double knife-hand blocks they do not specify Middle. Is there a such thing as a high knifehand guarding block or low knifehand guarding block, or is the standard for the ITF just middle? I will ask my instructor today if we have a specific finger alignment, if it's up to personal preference, I will go with the alignment you are describing.

Edit ---- I just looked at Kwang-Gae and they have both Low and High Knifehand guarding blocks. I just haven't seen these before, since that is the 1st, 1st dan form.
Edit 2--- Low knifehand guarding block is also displayed in Toi-Gye Hyung which our school omits, so that's another reason why I haven't been exposed to that technique.

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
>>>No, lead hand. For Blocks with open hand it's specified that a middle block has fingertips at shoulder level . (Closed hand block - Top of fist<<<<
>>o my lead hand on the block was too low?<< Second to Last move - too High

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is the move in Kwang-Gae that you are referring to? .
Befor the downward strike you are in an L stance strike with rear arm inward Knifehad bringing opposite side fist to shoulder. That side fist which is laready on top does not re chamber under for the downward strike.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is going to be tricky, our school omits Toi-Gye Hyung, so I haven't really seen the chamber for a 'W Shape' block yet. If my memory serves me correct I have seen our 1st Dan instructor do it for Ge-Baek Hyung and the chamber looked identical to the chamber for the Wedging Outer Forearm Block in Do-San. Arms crossed in front of the chest then snapped out into the block.

While there is a chamber for a W shape Block that starts like this it does not appear until later patters (IIRC). (No W shape blocks in Gae Beck, Most earlier W shape blocks do not start with arms crossed. Only One of the outer forerms is blocking with the one on the side of the stepping foot doing the work When you are not stepping you may be blocking with bot arms. The "Chamber simply resembles already being in the W shape block position..

Latest Discussions