Choong-Moo Hyung

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been learning this form for my recently acquired belt rank. I have been taught up to move 19, I have a couple questions regarding moves. Move 9a is the Flying Side Piercing Kick, how much distance is this move supposed to cover? Move 19 is the Knife-hand Guarding Block, what is the purpose/application of the 360 degree jump spin, before hand?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do not recall if there is a textbook answer. Various reasons for such a move. -Lifting feet to avoid a sweep with a staff, and checking for opponents all around you. (Note: prior and subsequent moves attack and Block opponents to various directions around you. )

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Move 19 is the Knife-hand Guarding Block, what is the purpose/application of the 360 degree jump spin, before hand?
My take on it is that you lift up your front leg to avoid a sweep kick, your opponent then follows with a spinning sweep and, rather than change direction and step behind, you continue the counter clockwise motion and jump with a spin to avoid the subsequent kick.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Are there any textbook writings on the Flying side piercing, as to how much distance the kick should cover?

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been learning this form for my recently acquired belt rank. I have been taught up to move 19, I have a couple questions regarding moves. Move 9a is the Flying Side Piercing Kick, how much distance is this move supposed to cover? Move 19 is the Knife-hand Guarding Block, what is the purpose/application of the 360 degree jump spin, before hand?
Isnt this a question you should be asking your instructor?
I think you would get a better answer from the person who is teaching because its gonna come down to what they expect from you.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Isnt this a question you should be asking your instructor?
I think you would get a better answer from the person who is teaching because its gonna come down to what they expect from you.

Yes of course, He is always the first person I ask.

The reason I asked these questions are plain and simple. I want to see what other schools teach as application. I don't know if you are familiar with this form, but for the Flying side piercing kick, It is a one step flying kick. My instructor teaches it as both a one step and two step kick if the student can't land it in one step.so we don't have an exact measurement. So I was curious if other schools do and how they measure their distance. In regards to the 360 Knife-hand block my instructor just says it's an advanced way to transition from the U-Shape grasp to the knife hand block. I asked about that move here to see if school's teach an application for it. If there is an application such as avoiding a sweep, it won't change my understanding of how my instructor wants me to jump.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes of course, He is always the first person I ask.

The reason I asked these questions are plain and simple. I want to see what other schools teach as application. .
You should be commended for seeking knowledge outside of your school. While first and foremost a student should know what the school expects of them, having an expanded universe is a good thing. If more people did that then we would have less people teaching and learning cr*p.

Latest Discussions