16 oz competition GI?

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Ronin 16 oz competition GI. After washing my wife observed that it looks and feels like cardboard Or heavy canvas (Duh). Will it soften up after use and washings? I expect it will always be stiffer than a 6oz GI.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Ronin 16 oz competition GI. After washing my wife observed that it looks and feels like cardboard Or heavy canvas (Duh). Will it soften up after use and washings? I expect it will always be stiffer than a 6oz GI.
How many gis do you have, now?

16oz is going way overboard. IMO, you need to set that aside as your "dress gi." Or competition, if you're going to be competing.

Anything 14 oz or higher, IMO, is too heavy for an everyday trainer. This is just MY opinion, as there might be people here who train in that. Even the heaviest Japanese gis (made with No. 10 cotton) are only 12 oz.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh f**king hell, opr1945, you need to seek some sort of help! 😂🤣

MuayJitsu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jeez if you spent as much time obsessing over your training as you do obsessing over your gis you’d be world champ by now

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Jeez if you spent as much time obsessing over your training as you do obsessing over your gis you’d be world champ by now
I see in another thread that he bought a kyokushin gi too. I didn't think most non-kyokushin dojos would allow that. They're off-white due to being non-bleached, correct?

I told him, at his level, if he wants to upgrade from the free gi that his dojo gave him, then medium weight 10 oz, give or take 1 oz. And now he's out here buying everything but that.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One can take an equine to a source of hydration but you cannot make them imbibe. 🤷🏾

MuayJitsu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I see in another thread that he bought a kyokushin gi too. I didn't think most non-kyokushin dojos would allow that. They're off-white due to being non-bleached, correct?

I told him, at his level, if he wants to upgrade from the free gi that his dojo gave him, then medium weight 10 oz, give or take 1 oz. And now he's out here buying everything but that.
I did karate for about 15 years consistently from age 9-24 and in that time I think I owned 3 gis that whole time…

OP
opr1945

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
1. "I see in another thread that he bought a kyokushin gi too. I didn't think most non-kyokushin dojos would allow that. They're off-white due to being non-bleached, correct?"

Actually, that was the one I traded for the 16oz top. I bought it, just a top not a set, for $13.00 on ebay. It was the size 4 that was to small for me to tie the sides. So in the end it did not increase my inventory. I also sewed sewed a patch for Dojo style over the kyokshin embroidery that came on the top. And, the color was about the same as everyone's GI.

2. "Anything 14 oz or higher, IMO, is too heavy for an everyday trainer. This is just MY opinion, as there might be people here who train in that. Even the heaviest Japanese gis (made with No. 10 cotton) are only 12 oz."

I didn't set out to get the 16oz GI. I offered the Kyokshin top that was to small for me to the other student, who said he would only take it if I would take his in return. It was a size 6 but I didn't try it on as it was the end of class ans it was full of sweat. But after my wife shrunk it it fits fine. It's just really stiff.

3. "Oh f**king hell, opr1945, you need to seek some sort of help! 😂🤣" My wife has pointer out to me several time that when I try something new I alway go overboard. In my other post I admitted I had become obsessed. But, due to my current inventory I think the obsession has passed.

5. "How many gis do you have, now?" I will admit to having more than I need or can ever wear out. In my defense the first one SUN brand came with my membership. Most of the others came from ebay or Facebook Marketplace, were used and cheap. If you are willing to put time in you can find some bargins. There is the risk that they are not as adverised in some way, size, worn out, damaged or never shipped and you can't pict it up and evaluate fabric or try on for cut and fit. I did find one that retails for $129.95 and I purchased it for $33.00, I thought that was a good deal. I was barely used when I got it, 9oz. Mostof the rest of my purchases were $25 or much less. After I more knowledgeable I will give most of my inventory away. I have done that with other pursuits I have been involved in.

6. "Jeez if you spent as much time obsessing over your training as you do obsessing over your gis you’d be world champ by now." Point well made. And I decided practice at home on Tue, Thurs and Saturday. I visit the Dojo Mon, Wed, Fri. Thank you.

Hope that covers everything. I quit enjoyed it. LOL.

Oh, and 7. Last week AWMA Martial Arts Supplies send me an offer 50% off entire site. Some of you may have gotten one also. So I did buy two student light weight GI's for the price of one. Cheap and equivalent to the Sun Gi I was given. So I did buy 2 new ones so I can rotate them. But they were about as cheap as they come.

PS: Should have made this 7 separate posts to up my inventory count.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. "I see in another thread that he bought a kyokushin gi too. I didn't think most non-kyokushin dojos would allow that. They're off-white due to being non-bleached, correct?"

Actually, that was the one I traded for the 16oz top. I bought it, just a top not a set, for $13.00 on ebay. It was the size 4 that was to small for me to tie the sides. So in the end it did not increase my inventory. I also sewed sewed a patch for Dojo style over the kyokshin embroidery that came on the top. And, the color was about the same as everyone's GI.

2. "Anything 14 oz or higher, IMO, is too heavy for an everyday trainer. This is just MY opinion, as there might be people here who train in that. Even the heaviest Japanese gis (made with No. 10 cotton) are only 12 oz."

I didn't set out to get the 16oz GI. I offered the Kyokshin top that was to small for me to the other student, who said he would only take it if I would take his in return. It was a size 6 but I didn't try it on as it was the end of class ans it was full of sweat. But after my wife shrunk it it fits fine. It's just really stiff.

3. "Oh f**king hell, opr1945, you need to seek some sort of help! 😂🤣" My wife has pointer out to me several time that when I try something new I alway go overboard. In my other post I admitted I had become obsessed. But, due to my current inventory I think the obsession has passed.

5. "How many gis do you have, now?" I will admit to having more than I need or can ever wear out. In my defense the first one SUN brand came with my membership. Most of the others came from ebay or Facebook Marketplace, were used and cheap. If you are willing to put time in you can find some bargins. There is the risk that they are not as adverised in some way, size, worn out, damaged or never shipped and you can't pict it up and evaluate fabric or try on for cut and fit. I did find one that retails for $129.95 and I purchased it for $33.00, I thought that was a good deal. I was barely used when I got it, 9oz. Mostof the rest of my purchases were $25 or much less. After I more knowledgeable I will give most of my inventory away. I have done that with other pursuits I have been involved in.

6. "Jeez if you spent as much time obsessing over your training as you do obsessing over your gis you’d be world champ by now." Point well made. And I decided practice at home on Tue, Thurs and Saturday. I visit the Dojo Mon, Wed, Fri. Thank you.

Hope that covers everything. I quit enjoyed it. LOL.

Oh, and 7. Last week AWMA Martial Arts Supplies send me an offer 50% off entire site. Some of you may have gotten one also. So I did buy two student light weight GI's for the price of one. Cheap and equivalent to the Sun Gi I was given. So I did buy 2 new ones so I can rotate them. But they were about as cheap as they come.

PS: Should have made this 7 separate posts to up my inventory count.
Do what makes you happy.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
5. "How many gis do you have, now?" I will admit to having more than I need or can ever wear out. In my defense the first one SUN brand came with my membership.
Got it. The cheap lightweight gis that are designed to get students in the door. Once you decide that you're in for the long haul, you upgrade. No problem.

Most of the others came from ebay or Facebook Marketplace, were used and cheap. If you are willing to put time in you can find some bargins.
Thanks, but no thanks. I'm not above shopping for clothing at the thrift store, but undies and athletic wear (karate gis are athletic wear) are off-limits for me.

There is the risk that they are not as adverised in some way, size, worn out, damaged or never shipped and you can't pict it up and evaluate fabric or try on for cut and fit. I did find one that retails for $129.95 and I purchased it for $33.00, I thought that was a good deal. I was barely used when I got it, 9oz. Mostof the rest of my purchases were $25 or much less. After I more knowledgeable I will give most of my inventory away. I have done that with other pursuits I have been involved in.
I think I said it before: the best bang for the buck for medium weight gis is a Mugen Orange Label ($70 each, brand new). You can even get your name embroidered in katakana on the jacket lapel and pants, much like your instructors have on their Shureidos. And best of all... with the money you've dropped on gis so far, you could have bought two of these brand new and called it a day.

MuayJitsu

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Thanks, but no thanks. I'm not above shopping for clothing at the thrift store, but undies and athletic wear (karate gis are athletic wear) are off-limits for me.
usually I’m in agreement with this but I got a great deal on some twins boxing gloves usually sell online for £130 but I got them for £60 pretty much good as new

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
usually I’m in agreement with this but I got a great deal on some twins boxing gloves usually sell online for £130 but I got them for £60 pretty much good as new
Think of the filthy hands that were in those gloves before you bought them. People who never washed their hands after defecating and urinatin….🤢🤮

OP
opr1945

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
FYI: BIG SALE 50% off AWMA Supplies:

Last edited:
OP
opr1945

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think of GIs as underware. I wear actual underware, briefs and tee shirt some times protective gear. And unlike many gloves the GI can be washed, like shirts and pants, and disinfected, if desired. But that is just me.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think of GIs as underware. I wear actual underware, briefs and tee shirt some times protective gear. And unlike many gloves the GI can be washed, like shirts and pants, and disinfected, if desired. But that is just me.
I specifically stated that karate gis are athletic wear, and that I don't do used athletic wear. That doesn't mean I judge people who are willing to buy it. I'm just saying that I won't. Karate gis, just like any other athletic wear, are designed to get sweaty and nasty in. It's like buying a pair work boots from the thrift store. I might buy a pair of dress shoes from the thrift store (never have, but I don't think I'd be opposed to it), but sure as hell won't get work boots from there.

OP
opr1945

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
virtually all the GI's I purchased on line were like new, in very nice shape. no signs of wear. perhaps lucky, I guess. I guess if they showed signs of wear I might reevaluate that.

Latest Discussions