100 Foods to try before you die.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
who made that list?
Biscuit and gravy next to Abalone and Kobe Beef...and what's Lassi? Other than a male Collie playing a female one....

Of all the odd things on there...I missed horse on there...

(and Cognac is brandy, just the kind originating from the province of Cognac and as such trademarked and the French get very sore should you call mere brandy 'Cognac', just as Champagne - which I did not see on the list either - has to originate from Champagne, or it's just a bubbling wine, champenoise, but not the real thing)

hmmmm Curry wurst....I think I need to amke me some sauce for when I throw my brats on the grill!

A lassi is an Indian (plain) yogurt smoothie...it can be made either sweet or salty. The sweet version is made with rosewater.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A lassi is an Indian (plain) yogurt smoothie...it can be made either sweet or salty. The sweet version is made with rosewater.

I had some Indian cottage cheese once. Some varieties were better than others. If I had known, I am sure my hostess would have loved to serve me Lassi....

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've had all of 29 of those. Not even worth the cut & paste.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What I noticed from the "Yanks" was one thing in common... BBQ Ribs... but question really lies with... beef or pork ribs... two distinctly different things IMO. I've had both.

Makes me wonder what Kangaroo tastes like... probably more like rabbit, which is likely to be like... chicken, :rolleyes:

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And you were sober and had no contraband substances in your system when you enjoyed this delicacy? I think you and these other people commenting above are surely adventurous :) And can I ask are these things in the 100 foods above what you normally eat? And which would you never eat again having tried once? Thank you :)

I'm usually sober. (Hard to believe huh? :D)

Snake/eel, head cheese, cricket, and 2 or 3 others are the 'eh, no thanks, not again' list.

BBQ, Pho and lobster are on the yes please list.

umiboshi was probably the worst I ever had. I -had- to try that as an anime character I 'like a lot' likes them. I found them to be hideous, and I tried 5 or 6 times to 'like' them. Ended up tossing $10 worth.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Looks like I a have tried 76% of that list. I had to look up several items, I didn't know what "chitlins" were, I just knew them as that not-so-delicious pig entrail soup that I ate in Ecuador, or that "black pudding" was apparently another word for "blood sausage" which I am not a big fan of. Mostly this made me hungry and caused a realization that I clearly am not spending enough time sampling alcohol. :D

This is what I haven't tried:
2. Absinthe
8. Bellini
18. Chicken & Waffles
24. Cognac
27. Currywurst
28. Dandelion Wine
30. Durian
34. Foie Gras
39. Frito Pie
40. Frogs' Legs
48. Haggis
55. Kangaroo
63. Nettle Tea
67. Paneer
70. Phaal
78. Prickly Pear
79. Rabbit Stew
85. Shark
86. Snail
87. Snake
89. Som Tam
90. Spaetzle
92. Squirrel
95. Sweetbreads

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
And you were sober and had no contraband substances in your system when you enjoyed this delicacy? I think you and these other people commenting above are surely adventurous :) And can I ask are these things in the 100 foods above what you normally eat? And which would you never eat again having tried once? Thank you :)

I have had them lightly friend and salted, not too bad and more nutritious than chips. :D

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
umiboshi was probably the worst I ever had. I -had- to try that as an anime character I 'like a lot' likes them. I found them to be hideous, and I tried 5 or 6 times to 'like' them. Ended up tossing $10 worth.

How were you eating it? It isn't too bad if you eat them with rice, like in the middle of a rice ball (onigiri).

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Looks like I a have tried 76% of that list. I had to look up several items, I didn't know what "chitlins" were, I just knew them as that not-so-delicious pig entrail soup that I ate in Ecuador, or that "black pudding" was apparently another word for "blood sausage" which I am not a big fan of. Mostly this made me hungry and caused a realization that I clearly am not spending enough time sampling alcohol. :D

This is what I haven't tried:
2. Absinthe
8. Bellini
18. Chicken & Waffles
24. Cognac
27. Currywurst
28. Dandelion Wine
30. Durian
34. Foie Gras
39. Frito Pie
40. Frogs' Legs
48. Haggis
55. Kangaroo
63. Nettle Tea
67. Paneer
70. Phaal
78. Prickly Pear
79. Rabbit Stew
85. Shark
86. Snail
87. Snake
89. Som Tam
90. Spaetzle
92. Squirrel
95. Sweetbreads
Absinthe will not give you the complex insights of either Jules Verne or Ernest Hemingway haha.. I am horrible living testament to that :D And you have eaten sea urchin off this list? Are these not dangerous? They do not look like a thing that is meant to be eaten?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My granddaughter bought some cheese flavored crickets at the state fair for me. She didnt think I'd eat them....

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How were you eating it? It isn't too bad if you eat them with rice, like in the middle of a rice ball (onigiri).

Tried them straight. Just too salty for me, and that's saying a lot.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Absinthe will not give you the complex insights of either Jules Verne or Ernest Hemingway haha.. I am horrible living testament to that :D And you have eaten sea urchin off this list? Are these not dangerous? They do not look like a thing that is meant to be eaten?

Urchin? It is called "uni" in Japanese and I have it somewhat regularly if I am at a high end sushi place. I know that it has a somewhat traditional part in Italian foods as well.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

The first few times I tried them straight, they made me cringe. But my roommate (from Japan) always had a jar around and generally only ate them if his stomach was feeling off. He swore by the results...kept offering to me if my stomach was feeling off. They grew on me...now I love them. I do prefer them as umeboshi tho. :)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

The rice will dilute much of the salt taste, have it with green tea as well. Ever tried natto? Fermented soy beans? I have only met two people who didn't grow up with it who actually liked it. My sister and I grew up with it as a treat, so we view it as such, but I can definately see why it is an acquired taste.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Urchin? It is called "uni" in Japanese and I have it somewhat regularly if I am at a high end sushi place. I know that it has a somewhat traditional part in Italian foods as well.

I have been told they are just cut in half and slurped...but nothing more than slightly flavored saltwater.....

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think its easier to say what I haven't tried.

2. Absinthe
9. Birds Nest Soup
26. Crickets
27. Currywurst
28. Dandelion Wine
30. Durian
41. Fugu
70. Phaal
91. Spam
92. Squirrel
100. Zucchini Flowers

If I were in a restaurant and saw Absinthe, Durian, Dandelion Wine or Zucchini Flowers on the menu, I'd order them immediately.

Birds Nest Soup or Currywurst or Phaal...I dunno. Each sounds kind of interesting although I'm not a fan of *wurst, or uber-spicy dishes, or uber-expensive soups.

Cricket or Squirrel -- might try a piece if someone I knew was eating it an offered me some. Wouldn't order a dish on my own.

Fugu -- I have enough neuro issues as it is...just don't feel like tempting fate.

Spam -- I don't see any reason whatsoever to eat it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
lol, Currywust is a German bratwurst dusted with Curry. Some imbiss places make a sauce based on ketchup, most don't make it very spicy.
It's mostly about the flavor.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think I received enough German blood from my relatives ;) Bratwurst, knackwurst, sauerkraut, if any of that was brought in to one of my relatives houses, it would be devoured instantly....by everyone but me. I have to admit I never liked them.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
If I were in a restaurant and saw Absinthe, Durian, Dandelion Wine or Zucchini Flowers on the menu, I'd order them immediately.
Spam -- I don't see any reason whatsoever to eat it.

I use zuchinni flowers in a risotto, I am not sure it really adds much to the taste but the effect is great for a summer potlach or similar.

Spam only tastes good to me if it is fried when I am out camping or something similar. Probably something about needing the salt. :D