Yahoo: Benavidez wins by bloody submission over Torres

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
03-07-2010 01:12 AM:
ept_sports_mma_experts-747795959-1267938685.jpg

Joseph Benavidez staked his claim for the next title shot in the WEC bantamweight division with a submission at 2:57 in the second round over Miguel Torres.

Benavidez controlled the first round with takedown skills and elbows, but his performance in Round 2 was what took out the former champ. After Torres finally started to use his jab -- usually one of his most effective weapons -- Benavidez used one of his better weapons, a power double leg takedown. Benavidez took Torres down and threw two elbows, the second of which opened up a huge gash on Torres' forehead.

The two stood up, but Torres was covered in blood. Benavidez locked in a guillotine and Torres tapped near the middle of the second round.

"I've been waiting for this fight forever," Benavidez said. "I believed in myself."

Before his August loss to Brian Bowles, Torres had only suffered one loss in his career. Now, with two losses in a row, the former WEC bantamweight champion is in a tough position. He had changed up his entire training camp after his loss to Bowles. He fought the smart fight he wanted to, but was overcome by Benavidez's aggressiveness.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.