wow...another video from same school

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think ya gotta remember why people stick their kids into karatay or Tay Kwon Dough lessons ... it's not usually so they can have awesome stances, high kicks and fight well.

Most parents put their itty bitty kids into a program like that so they can have goal accomplishment, gain focus, self-discipline, blah blah blah ... all the same reasons parents put their kids into team sports - character and personal development. Some for the daycare aspect, some just exposure, defense against a bully ... rare, I think, is the parent who sticks their kid in a martial arts program with the idea their kid will be the next Jet Li.

How many of them do you really think care their kids stances suck?

Of course it's neato to see videos of kids with GREAT stances and GREAT technique and GREAT form ... but it's rare because kids are just that ... kids. They don't practice, they don't study, they go to class and their parents help you pay your rent.

Now I'm not saying ALL children's classes are like that, nor am I saying it's okay ... but I think we can all take ourselves WAY too seriously much of the time.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think ya gotta remember why people stick their kids into karatay or Tay Kwon Dough lessons ... it's not usually so they can have awesome stances, high kicks and fight well.

Most parents put their itty bitty kids into a program like that so they can have goal accomplishment, gain focus, self-discipline, blah blah blah ... all the same reasons parents put their kids into team sports - character and personal development. Some for the daycare aspect, some just exposure, defense against a bully ... rare, I think, is the parent who sticks their kid in a martial arts program with the idea their kid will be the next Jet Li.

How many of them do you really think care their kids stances suck?

Of course it's neato to see videos of kids with GREAT stances and GREAT technique and GREAT form ... but it's rare because kids are just that ... kids. They don't practice, they don't study, they go to class and their parents help you pay your rent.

Now I'm not saying ALL children's classes are like that, nor am I saying it's okay ... but I think we can all take ourselves WAY too seriously much of the time.
Very well said. I especially agree with the last part.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess I have a problem with instructors who tout thier students records and not thier own.
Not all of us feel the need/desire to compete as adults. After the Corps (IRAQ) I lost my taste for tourney's. It is hard to get pumped up for a "contest" after................
BTW, Getting on the USAT's poomsae team is worthy of congrats (I do mean that sincerely). Like GM park said in Vegas "train hard". I do not remember seing him smile even once. Of course he would probably have a diferent approach with kids.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for your service msmitht. Glad you came back in one piece :asian:

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Not all of us feel the need/desire to compete as adults. After the Corps (IRAQ) I lost my taste for tourney's. It is hard to get pumped up for a "contest" after................
BTW, Getting on the USAT's poomsae team is worthy of congrats (I do mean that sincerely). Like GM park said in Vegas "train hard". I do not remember seing him smile even once. Of course he would probably have a diferent approach with kids.
No..my school doesn't look like this one... Master Park doesn't teach children.. I went to his school last week when I was at the instructors course at kukkiwon. I guess my problem with your and some comments on his site is: Not everyone will or wants to compete. Not all are going to want the type of training that you, me and some here offer. I seen adults in compatition and at tests that that worst poomsae then the children on this video! And I bet that some of those adults are the ones making comment here! Schools differ, training differs, concepts and appoarchs differ. Are these kids learning? Are these kids Fit? Is this instructor a positive role model for these kids?
My kids win gold and win alot! I just understand the difference between being the player and training the player.....

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Your missing the point! These kids are to make their instructors record look better,but to have fun. Later the will refine the techniques... How about you.... Did you compete at nationals? I guess I have a problem with instructors who tout thier students records and not thier own.

So in order to have the right to brag of your kids' accomplishments you, yourself, have to be a gold medal winner? Please don't let my instructor know. I don't believe he has ever won a world title, yet he has coached 7 World Champions and has people come in from all over the US and Europe to train with him.

So I guess I am confused on what one's personal record has to do with personal records of those he/she coached?

Latest Discussions