Word to PDF

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone know any good (preferably free!) programs to convert Word documents to PDF? I'll only need to use it two or three times over a period of a month or so, so I don't feel like paying an arm or a leg for it!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
Anyone know any good (preferably free!) programs to convert Word documents to PDF? I'll only need to use it two or three times over a period of a month or so, so I don't feel like paying an arm or a leg for it!

You can download a trial version or adobe acrobat writer from Adobe's site. You might want to look there.

Under Acrobat family

Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It should be noted that most trial versions of software will write data to the registry stating when it was installed and how often the trial software was used. One should always clean the registry when uninstalling trial software in order to clear these values.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OpenOffice will do it for free, and without restrictions. Depending on how complex your document is the layout may need some touch ups when you load it . (Open office is good, but not perfect at reading .doc files)

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
mrhnau said:

Just PM-ed ya.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
OpenOffice will do it for free, and without restrictions. Depending on how complex your document is the layout may need some touch ups when you load it . (Open office is good, but not perfect at reading .doc files)

I've had issues with OpenOffice. Tried that route, it screwed up alot of my stuff pretty severely. It would take more time to fix OO than to just download a new program that does it better.

thanks though!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
mrhnau said:

There are free PDF print drivers. From Word, instead of doing a File->Save As, you do a File->Print and chose the PDF print driver. I've used PrimoPDF and PDFCreator with no problems.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

http://www.primopdf.com/

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you're affiliated with an academic institution, you may want to contact the IT folks, and ask about a site license for Adobe Acrobat. This way, you only have to pay some minimal medium charge (5 bucks or less), and you'll get a legal, fully functional, version to use.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
If you're affiliated with an academic institution, you may want to contact the IT folks, and ask about a site license for Adobe Acrobat. This way, you only have to pay some minimal medium charge (5 bucks or less), and you'll get a legal, fully functional, version to use.

Thats actually a good idea. I might look into that.:asian:

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Grenadier said:

this is how i got a copy of Acrobat.

mrhnau, if you cant get it to work please feel free to PM me and I will make the conversion for you, with all privacy respected.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you are looking editable PDF's I recommend Scribus...

However, when did you try OpenOffice...a LOT of bugs and stuff have been fixed with the version 2.0...if you haven't looked at it since version 1, I highly recommend you take another look...

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
Thats actually a good idea. I might look into that.:asian:

Check it out sometime. Nothing to lose, and everything to gain. This also applies to many other titles, such as the Microsoft operating systems, as well as their office software, and various anti-virii software. 100% lawful.

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How are you doing it in open office that it is messing with the data? You can try saving the word document to the open office extension then exporting it to a pdf.

Latest Discussions