wing chun and wing tsun

PeaceWarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why not just make it simple: Leung Ting Wing Chun , Moy Yat Wing chun, Will CH wing Chun ect...
??

Good question. Im not sure, but my guess would be because each one of them wanted to claim the only "true" system of Wing Chun, and if they had just put their name in front, it would be like acknowledging other Wing Chun branches as equal. Cant have that now can we? like I said, just a guess...

nojack

White Belt
Reaction score
Quote:
Why not just make it simple: Leung Ting Wing Chun , Moy Yat Wing chun, Will CH wing Chun ect...

Fyi:-
That's how they labeled their Kwoons in Hong Kong as SO & SO Wing Chun, and for the rest of the world........ is all marketing strategies, all business.

Ali Rahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
From the rec.martialarts FAQ

(Contributor: Marty Goldberg - [email protected])

Traditional Wing Chun -- Copyrighted and Trademarked by Grandmaster
William Cheung. Used to describe a very different version of Wing
Chun he learned while living with Yip Man in the 1950's. Includes
different history of lineage as well. Governing body is the World
Wing Chun Kung Fu Association.

Ving Tsun - Used by other students of Yip Man, such as Moy Yat. This
spelling was considered the main one used by Grandmaster Yip Man as
well. It is also used by many of the other students, and was adopted
for use in one of the main Wing Chun associations in Hong Kong -- The
Ving Tsun Athletic Organization.

Wing Chun - General spelling used by just about all practitioners of
the art.

A World Wide listing of Wing Chun Kwoons (schools) is maintained by
Marty Goldberg ([email protected]) and posted periodically to
rec.martial-arts. A mailing list (open to all students of Wing Chun)
is also maintained by Marty and Rob Gillespe at [email protected]

When said the same thing as this guys posts did, I lost three reputation marks. But when he repeated what I said, he was praise. I guess it pays to be Marty Goldberg. I really love this post.

Ali.

Ali Rahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oops! I did not notice the date on the post that I quoted. My bad, I guess they feel the same about his post also. I would like to apologies to you all.

Ali.

Jelik

Orange Belt
Reaction score
William Chueng, although he potentially has questionable ethics, I do believe "coined-the-phrase" Traditional Wing Chun. Not trademarked, however as I understand it, most people in the know understand Traditional Wing Chun as his "version".

In my humble opinion, this is how I understand the differences - simply put:

Traditional Wing Chun is easiest to recognise by the very different footwork. More mobility, personally find a lot easier to use in a sparring context. For this, it gets a couple of ticks ;-)

Modified Wing Chun is brilliant in regards to its forward energy. This is why MWC practitioners kick bottom in chi sao (normally) if up against a TWC practitioner. However in a sparring sense, the TWC person can move around slightly better.

I personally now do Qian Li Dao, which is the best of both worlds. It is TWC in look, with the MWC energy.

Thanks for letting me share ;-)

Stu

Latest Discussions