wing chun and wing tsun

Reaction score
Ok, I keep seeing all of this stuff on how "wing tsun is better, more organized, blah blah blah than wing chun" Then I hear wing chun and wing tsun/ving tsun are the exact same system just different pronounciation. Could somebody please break down the differences for me? I dont care which is "better" just tell me how they can be so different?

Ali Rahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
All Wing Chun is good, it’s base on who taught you and how good their wing chun fundamental are. Through all the years I have been training wing chun (27 years), the deferent’s in the spelling is nothing more then marketing ploys. Leung Ting trademarked the ving tsun spelling and William Cheung Trademarked the wing chun spelling. It just marketing that’s all.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok...hehe...I just found a huge thread about this topic...haha Im beginning to understand all of the politic BS. Thanks for your answer! :p

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The WC/WT thing has been around for a long time, essentially you will find that the WT difference goes beyond mere diferences in romanised spelling, there is a distinct flavour to WT that is essentially different to Ving Tsun. Wing Tsun is Leung Tings own interpretation of the art.

marcus_p

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ali,

I agree with your points about who one's teacher is and the marketting realities of Martial Arts. However, your assertion that Sifu William Cheung tradmarked Wing Chun, to the best of my knowledge is incorrect. Can you offer any proof?

/Marcus

All Wing Chun is good, it’s base on who taught you and how good their wing chun fundamental are. Through all the years I have been training wing chun (27 years), the deferent’s in the spelling is nothing more then marketing ploys. Leung Ting trademarked the ving tsun spelling and William Cheung Trademarked the wing chun spelling. It just marketing that’s all.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ali,

I agree with your points about who one's teacher is and the marketting realities of Martial Arts. However, your assertion that Sifu William Cheung tradmarked Wing Chun, to the best of my knowledge is incorrect. Can you offer any proof?

/Marcus

I believe its the title "traditional wing chun" that he laid claim to however i do not believe it to be officially trademarked but it has come to be descriptive of the william cheung way of doing things.

Ali Rahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ali,

/Marcus

I don’t really have proof of this first hand, but I know this to be true coming from the mouths of some of his top students. You know some of them; ask them yourself. I don’t think that they have any reason to lie. For over the years it has always had been a known fact.

I’ve been in this game for a long time I’ve seen a lot, back then there were only two school that was worldly known, they were: W Cheung, L Ting schools,. and both trademark their names like any good school should, by them being the first to actually trademark the name wing chun in their way of spelling it and in advertisement, they own the rights. And can sue accordingly.

Thank you, for listening to “”A Moment in History”

Take care marcus.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don’t really have proof of this first hand, but I know this to be true coming from the mouths of some of his top students. You know some of them; ask them yourself. I don’t think that they have any reason to lie. For over the years it has always had been a known fact.

I’ve been in this game for a long time I’ve seen a lot, back then there were only two school that was worldly known, they were: W Cheung, L Ting schools,. and both trademark their names like any good school should, by them being the first to actually trademark the name wing chun in their way of spelling it and in advertisement, they own the rights. And can sue accordingly.

Thank you, for listening to “”A Moment in History”

Take care marcus.

Leung ting trademark yes, william cheung trademark, common myth

Ali Rahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Leung ting trademark yes, william cheung trademark, common myth

What makes Leung Ting so holy; that it puts Williams Cheung in the category of mythology, as far as in terms of marketing? The time that all of this stuff was happing, it was three year after your birth. Maybe I miss sometime alone the way, please enlighten me on the "common myth," of “William Cheung”.

Thank you.

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings!

From what I know, the WC was romanized as Ving Tsun in Hong Kong by Yip Man because people joked that it was bathroom kung fu (W.C.) if spelled Wing Chun... which is actually funny.

maybe a myth, yet it makes sense.

MAny people use the romanization Wing Chun, since that way it was brought here by many, thus it is hard to trademark, and many people would've been sued.

WT is trademaked, and is Leung Ting's training system. It is structured to be taught in many schools uniformly. Yet it really tastes like Wing Chun!

Also, the name Wing Chun was identified with William Cheung, yet what he does and what I've been taught, and many that do Wing Chun, is very different.

Many times the difference is in the Sifu that teaches the art, the fellow students that you train with, and your personal effort and thought you put into your training. In the end, that is all that matters.

Sincerely,

Juan M. Mercado

Ali Rahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Greetings!

From what I know, the WC was romanized as Ving Tsun in Hong Kong by Yip Man because people joked that it was bathroom kung fu (W.C.) if spelled Wing Chun... which is actually funny.

maybe a myth, yet it makes sense.

MAny people use the romanization Wing Chun, since that way it was brought here by many, thus it is hard to trademark, and many people would've been sued.

WT is trademaked, and is Leung Ting's training system. It is structured to be taught in many schools uniformly. Yet it really tastes like Wing Chun!

Also, the name Wing Chun was identified with William Cheung, yet what he does and what I've been taught, and many that do Wing Chun, is very different.

Many times the difference is in the Sifu that teaches the art, the fellow students that you train with, and your personal effort and thought you put into your training. In the end, that is all that matters.

Sincerely,

Juan M. Mercado

If someone documents the word “wing chun” within their “trademark”, in which they use in their advertisement, they own the rights; the problem is that it would be a mess if William started to go after anyone, cause it's so many of us using it. It would hurt him more then anyone else. But I can say one thing; William Cheung is a smart man, because he did it first .

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
If someone documents the word “wing chun” within their “trademark”, in which they use in their advertisement, they own the rights; the problem is that it would be a mess if William started to go after anyone, cause it's so many of us using it. It would hurt him more then anyone else. But I can say one thing; William Cheung is a smart man, because he did it first .

William cheung couldn't go after or sue anyone for using the term wing chun though. Or is that what you are saying and i just misunderstood you?

OP
T
Reaction score
heh...I guess this is a pretty hotly debated subject, kinda like the 'wing chun and grappling' schtick. Im pretty sure I understand now, but I think that no matter where you go, on either side of the line, there are going to be similarities and differences, depending on the teaching style, who you train with and how much effort you put in (just like professormental said). I think we can learn from everybody.

monji112000

Green Belt
Reaction score
Different spellings are used to show a different lineage:
William Chueng, Leung Ting,Moy yat ect..

its really all silly BS. JMO

If you are more worried about what your "style" is called then maybe you should re-order your priorities. :D

Its mostly for Marketing reasons..

Although I have heard/read the story(s) about why some of them changed the spelling.

Why not just make it simple: Leung Ting Wing Chun , Moy Yat Wing chun, Will CH wing Chun ect...
??