Who's contributing to the evolution of WC and a fighting system?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got the idea for this talking to LFJ. Who do you think is contributing to the evolution of WC specifically as a practical fighting method these days? I don't mean the old "My lineage vs. your's" sort of thing. I'm talking about individuals who have caught your eye or spiked your curiosity as fighters (interpreted however you like), competitors, etc. and who may have a positive impact on WC as a whole.

For example (just to get things started) in the last few years, I've been most interested in the work of Alan Orr, but I'm not really qualified to say much about him since I only know his stuff from the internet and youtube clips. Some of you guys know a lot more. Can you add something?

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think Applied Wing Chun (Duncan Leung) has an ongoing project training fighters in Panyu China...

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I also think Alan Orr.

Yes. Alan Orr and his teacher Robert Chu. And yes, Duncan Leung and his group as well as Lo Man Kam and his son Gordon Lu...who are really in the same stream as Duncan Leung. Gary Lam and his guys mix it up pretty good as well and I think have done some good work.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got the idea for this talking to LFJ. Who do you think is contributing to the evolution of WC specifically as a practical fighting method these days? I don't mean the old "My lineage vs. your's" sort of thing. I'm talking about individuals who have caught your eye or spiked your curiosity as fighters (interpreted however you like), competitors, etc. and who may have a positive impact on WC as a whole.

For example (just to get things started) in the last few years, I've been most interested in the work of Alan Orr, but I'm not really qualified to say much about him since I only know his stuff from the internet and youtube clips. Some of you guys know a lot more. Can you add something?
----------------\\
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You tube does not capture everything, Quite a few people in the Ho lam lineage including Ho Kam Mings own students have been in real fights. Wing chun has both ideas on strategy and tactics.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

---------------------------------------------------
Strange imo when folks that you tube is the major source of reality

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who's contributing...
I think everyone out there who actually questions, pressure test, and maintains an openness toward others experiences/ideas and tests those as well are all contributing.

What lowers wing chun is those who accept what someone else says and doesn't really test it for themselves, who simple pukes out what their instructor told them having never worked it much less sparred or fought against other arts; ie. boxing, karate, muay thai, wrestlers...and any thing else.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
There is a guy in Hong Kong that I know little about. other than what I have seen on Empty Mind Films and on YouTube Videos and I found his approach interesting "Kong Chi Keung". I know he has a background in JKD as well as Wing Chun. But he is teaching Wing Chun in Hong Kong.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

True. Especially when a lot of important stuff will never be seen on Youtube ...or Forums like this. Still it's a fair topic for conversation. That's why I threw this out there, knowing that others will have actually seen and experienced stuff I know nothing about.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

It isn't reality, but it does document reality. When 50% of the population or higher has a smartphone it is relatively easy to document all those fights that the lineages claim. Particularly if the matches are actually set up in advance.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I don't think you understood his post. Sure hope not.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Alan Orr
Jin Young
Eddie Chong
Philip Bayer
Emin Boztepe
Robert Chu
Hawkins Cheung
Duncan Leung

Latest Discussions