White blown away by Koscheck's performance but he's still not getting GSP

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
11-22-2009 12:25 PM:

Dana White couldn't say enough good things about Josh Koscheck and his dominating win over Anthony Johnson. He even matched his mouth with his money by giving both the Fight of the Night and Submission of the Night bonuses to Koscheck. That's a hefty $140,000 double-bonus check on top of his fight night salary of $106,000 ($53,000 to show and $53,000 to win). Koscheck likes the money but a title shot would be even nicer. That's a bonus White isn't willing to pony up. White confirmed there is no turning back now, Georges St. Pierre against Dan Hardy is etched in stone (2:45 mark).

Koscheck was resigned to towing the company line (2:10 mark):

"Thanks to the UFC. I love to fight. Hopefully in 2010, if I'm not fighting St. Pierre next, I'll fight every month. Dan Hardy's the next guy in line. We'll let him fight for the title and then we'll see what happens after that."

His tune, sober or not, was a bit different this morning.

ept_sports_mma_experts-145428020-1258904027.jpg
White was floored by the performance especially since Koscheck had an excuse to bow out of the fight after being poked in the eye as Johnson threw an illegal knee:

"You've seen a million times where guys try to get out because they got poked in the eye. As soon as they continue [Koscheck] starts going right after him and starts dominating the rest of the round."

Koscheck thought all along that he could break Johnson:

"I kinda felt after I took him down the second time, I knew that he was going to give up. Obviously I thought the weight cut would affect him. My goal was to weather the storm in the first round, go into the second round and use a little more wrestling. [Then] get him down, drop some elbows, get him to roll over and choke him out."

Koscheck, 31, is now 14-4, that includes 16 fights in the UFC. Hardy, 27, is 23-6 and 4-0 in the UFC. GSP beat Koscheck in a non-title fight at UFC 74.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions