Where do you guys get your bricks??

J

Jim Tindell

The bricks we use in our area are basically patio blocks chopped in half. However, the company we buy them from have recently decided to stop chopping the blocks in half, for some reason. This means we are unable to obtain bricks from the said company, and there are no others in the area that could supply.

Anyone have ideas as to where we could look?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you use half size patio bricks? (not the standup blocks I assume)

The normal ones are about 2" x 15 or something like that. If you chop them in half they are harder to go through. Also harder to break since the area after putting them up on blocks is less to go through. But why not just add on to the stack instead like most competitors do?

Or you could have a wood mold made-that costs some and have it on hand just for your school. Thats custom/hand made bricks and it will cost more. Usually they are made by a machine and compressed that way instead of troweled into the mold. TW

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Why do you use half size patio bricks? (not the standup blocks I assume)

The normal ones are about 2" x 15 or something like that. If you chop them in half they are harder to go through. Also harder to break since the area after putting them up on blocks is less to go through.
I think he was talking about chopping tem in half long ways, to make it easier. I never understood it myself, but people use half patio bricks for easier breaks sometimes. Most people just use the scalloped edging bricks nod days for the easier break. But why not just use the regular patio bricks? a brick is a brick, unless you are putting on a demo for a bunch of people that don't know any better and you want to stack them high and make it look more impressive than it is.

OP
J

Jim Tindell

TigerWoman said:
The normal ones are about 2" x 15 or something like that.
That's what ours end up being when you cut them in half. The actual blocks are about 5x15. So.. if you cut them in half the long way, then it's your size.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, sorry. I just gave out part of the dimensions. 2" thick by 8 x 15. Regular patio. Never heard of getting this cut horizontally. If this is for easier kid's breaks, why not just give them boards? Actually we did have a 14 yr. old have to do a palm strike through one though. TW

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was learning from my TKD instructor my friend that was heavy into breaking went to the local brick yard. There he got to pick and choose which bricks he wanted from the stacks. From what I remember they were fairly inexpensive. That of course was 12 years ago but maybe they are still a few bucks a brick. :idunno:

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Jim,

I have the same problem here...all the patio blocks are like 5.5 inches thick.

You might wish to try marble or granite instead. Also, try clay or cement roofing tiles!

TAEKWON!
SpooKeY

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear All,

Down here in the southeastern USA, the HomeDepot doesnt carry either the slim patio blocks or cement roofing tiles!

Thank God for Jenkins Brick company (and wood!)

TAEKWON!
SPooKeY

OP
J

jkdhit

marble and granite tiles are fragile and can break easily so i wouldn't really recommend using them.. you might as well break boards because boards are harder than granite and marble tiles. however, granite and marble tiles are cheaper to purchase than boards by about 10-30¢ depending on the tile

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
The regular patio bricks are only 30c here. I bought some one time that wouldn't break. The concrete guy said it was pretty new. I was determined, near to wrenched my shoulder doing palm strikes on it. I couldn't understand why it wouldn't break. Finally I took it out on the drive and threw it down to break it. It had four rebars in it. Better to ask if it is reinforced. TW

OP
J

jkdhit

wow reinforced bricks for only 30¢? at least now you know where to get bricks if you want to make changes on your house lol

i havent seen shoulder injuries from palm strikes before unless youre not lining your palm up with your shoulder or your using your shoulder rather than your waist when you're coming to the impact. the only serious injuries i've ever seen from palm strikes were sprains which were still uncommon and fractures which are rare in the wrist

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
jkdhit said:
wow reinforced bricks for only 30¢? at least now you know where to get bricks if you want to make changes on your house lol

i havent seen shoulder injuries from palm strikes before unless youre not lining your palm up with your shoulder or your using your shoulder rather than your waist when you're coming to the impact. the only serious injuries i've ever seen from palm strikes were sprains which were still uncommon and fractures which are rare in the wrist

I was talking about shoulder injury striking rebarred concrete. ;)

I can break regular concrete with a palm strike and have several times in testings and tournaments. But one time I did not know how hard one brick was...it pinched a nerve in my shoulder and my whole arm and shoulder was somewhat numb for a month. But it broke on the first try. So you never know what flukey thing will happen. TW

Latest Discussions