What the U.S. map would look like if each state had the same population

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What the U.S. map would look like if each state had the same population

Neil Freeman's "United States redrawn as Fifty States with Equal Population" takes a radically simple stab at Electoral College reform, preserving its structure and function while simultaneously ending the overrepresentation of small states and underrepresentation of large states in presidential voting by eliminating small and large states altogether.

Electoral college reform (fifty states with equal population)

electoral10-1100.jpg

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love the names they selected :)

Greetings from Casco :D

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I endorse this idea! Unless the politicians will start gerrymandering states now...uh-oh...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love the names they selected :)

Greetings from Casco :D

Same here. I like Menominee. If I were in charge of Menominee the state song would go something almost like this:

Last edited by a moderator:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I want to use that for my mountain, too :D

$942392_521886031207595_1517735934_n.jpg

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are the small states really over-represented and the large states under-represented? Or is that a false meme that someone wants to flourish because of an agenda?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alaska and Wyoming and Montana are nearly empty despite their size--put together they don't have the pop. of a RI or DE. That's the issue.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Are the small states really over-represented and the large states under-represented? Or is that a false meme that someone wants to flourish because of an agenda?

As the guy that did the research and drew the map said, in the last line of the article attached via link in the first post

"Keep in mind that this is an art project, not a serious proposal," Freeman added. "So take it easy with the emails about the sacred soil of Texas."

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As the guy that did the research and drew the map said, in the last line of the article attached via link in the first post

Yes, I understood that it wasn't a serious proposal, but it came about because of a flaw he he sees in the system. The more serious proposals out there to this 'problem' involve changing the law in order to increase the total number of Representatives in House and divvy them for more accurate representation of their respective state's population.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes, I understood that it wasn't a serious proposal, but it came about because of a flaw he he sees in the system. The more serious proposals out there to this 'problem' involve changing the law in order to increase the total number of Representatives in House and divvy them for more accurate representation of their respective state's population.

I don't think anyone is acting on renaming the states and redistributing state lands. As for populations, there are more people in NYC that in the entire state of Alaska. so representation can be a bit skewed... and not even nationally that large NYC population makes a lot of decisions for NYS that are not exactly good for the state but they are great for NYC. Beyond that, I have no horse in this race.

Latest Discussions