what I learned in MI CPL class (USCCA)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually no, Lklawson,

The Glock 19 is a 10 cartridge magazine with a +1 in the chamber.
Your mags are neutered.

My G19 has 3 factory 15 round mags and Glock's website (and just about everywhere else) lists them at 15. I don't know why. Nevada doesn't have a 10-round limit last time I checked.

Glock 19 | G19 | 9x19mm | GLOCK USA

Are you sure you mean the 19 and not the 26? The 26 used to be the "concealable" Glock, with its stubby grip and short double-stack mag.

Either your mags are neutered to comply with some other state's 10-round mag limit (or maybe you got some of the Clinton gun ban mags), or you're thinking of the 26. If you really do have neutered mags, you owe it to yourself to get some 15-rounders.

https://www.brownells.com/magazines...gazines/model-19-9mm-magazines-prod71417.aspx
Glock Mag Gen 4 Glock 19 9mm Luger Polymer Black

The glock is so well received and with the newer generations allowing you to modify the grip it will work well for pretty much anyone. Fantastic design with fantastic reliability.
It's an OK design with an OK trigger. Reliability has always been the big selling point but it's a machine just like any other and I know of any number of stories of people reporting reliability issues. Still, I agree that, as far as semi-auto pistols go, Glocks are among the more reliable but there are plenty of others which are just as reliable.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's an OK design with an OK trigger. Reliability has always been the big selling point but it's a machine just like any other and I know of any number of stories of people reporting reliability issues. Still, I agree that, as far as semi-auto pistols go, Glocks are among the more reliable but there are plenty of others which are just as reliable.
I've always kind of liked Glocks. They're good. They don't feel great in my hand - I don't like th grip much. A 1911 feels better, and more secure. But I shoot much better with a Glock, so I went back to a Glock. Back when I got my first one, they were quite different from most pistols. Now, a lot of companies have learned from what worked well, and there are a lot of pistols with similar features and reliability - probably even some with better reliability, though none I'm aware of with the same reputation for it.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glock 19 sitting on my waistband 10 + 1 factory low capacity mag. So yes, I am carrying a lower capacity magazine. Checking my magazines I have four 10 rounds mags and 4 15 rounds. My mistake. When I quoted that I just looked at the gun and magazine on my waist at that time. ;)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As for the trigger design. I actually prefer the Glock trigger design over other models. However, if someone were to have learned on another model they might not enjoy it as much. Fortunately in 1991 when going through my first police academy I decided to train with a Glock and haven't looked back since. When I pick up a Glock I'm confident it will fire. I cannot say the same thing about other hand guns.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As for the trigger design. I actually prefer the Glock trigger design over other models.
I'm not saying it's a bad trigger, just that it's not a "great" trigger.

On one hand, after a certain point of usability, triggers are kinda a personal preference thing. And then there's the fact that some triggers are optimized for certain tasks which reduces their utility for others. A 2 lb. short and crisp 1911 trigger is the bees knees for bullseye shooting but may not be the best plan for a SD pistol. OTOH, a Kel Tec P11 DAO trigger is heavy and long and makes pinpoint accuracy a challenge but is fine for 5 yards on a gun with no manual safety.

Are Glock triggers bad? No. But I'm not all that impressed with them either. If a person practices with it and gets unconsciously competent with it, then it's the "right" trigger for them. <shrug>

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Today I carry a Glock 19...15 rd mags.
I prefer my 1911. Why? I can't really say, I just do. However, I carry the 19 (which I have come to like)
Had the trigger worked and is much better feel.
I carry the Glock because my wife carries a clock as well.
So our mag and ammo interchange, if I pick up my weapon or hers it is the same.
And at my age under high stress that is reassuring in I don't have to think about which weapon I am holding.
The grips are very similar, the trigger pulls are almost identical, I like the redundancy.

Latest Discussions