What have you learned from hapkido

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, before all the flaming from my good friends mutt and jeff, (AKA...zDom and Drac). What have you learned that is the most valuable to you in hapkido. I know I teach Yudo but I would say that is the aspects of Budo and the 5 tennants of Tae Kwon Do are readily usable in the art of hapkido.

If you learn and train a technique then good. However, how do you treat other people? How are you perceived by other people? How will you be remembered? I think that is the most important. Worry about what you can do for others and yourself, not what can people give me?

Maybe I am being over philosophical but it's just a thought.

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If we're excluding techniques and focusing more on the philosophical aspects, I would say that I try and apply "HWA" and "YU" outside of the Dojang (still trying to figure out "WON" in an off the mat setting).

For example, HWA as best as I understand it, is not directly opposing a force with your own force. In my professional career, I try and apply this in disagreements with others. Rather than fight them head-on, I now try and blend and find the common ground and then work from that position to turn them towards my point of view.

"YU" as best as I understand it, is the water principle. Water can be soothing but it can also be a horrifying flood. When I think of water I think of adaptability but relentless in purpose. At work, I may have to flow around "obstacles", but if I stay relentless, the goal can be acheived.

I'm just a student and still trying to figure it all out.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
If we're excluding techniques and focusing more on the philosophical aspects, I would say that I try and apply "HWA" and "YU" outside of the Dojang (still trying to figure out "WON" in an off the mat setting).

For example, HWA as best as I understand it, is not directly opposing a force with your own force. In my professional career, I try and apply this in disagreements with others. Rather than fight them head-on, I now try and blend and find the common ground and then work from that position to turn them towards my point of view.

"YU" as best as I understand it, is the water principle. Water can be soothing but it can also be a horrifying flood. When I think of water I think of adaptability but relentless in purpose. At work, I may have to flow around "obstacles", but if I stay relentless, the goal can be acheived.

I'm just a student and still trying to figure it all out.

That is great man, all about good attitude. Good for you man.

Latest Discussions