what art would compliment sambo?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now there's an opinion, stated as fact. If you have never experienced it, either used on you or using it, I can understand you having that opinion, but fact? I certainly have a different opinion based on experience.

Again, an opinion, and you are entitled to it. But please don't try to paint me with that brush. If you are satisfied with the learning you have without gi, good for you. Be happy. But in my opinion, you are missing something.

OK there is no evidence of a spirit. That is not an opinion. That just is.

What makes martial arts a deeper more mental or spiritual art than anything else? It can't just be because you really like it. People really like all kinds of stuff.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Martial arts is not like lifting weights; the approach is one of mind, body, and spirit and it requires concentration and thoughtful practice to even begin to absorb the basics, let alone the deeper meanings.

If the weight lifting is power lifting then it technique driven. I would suggest it is as mind body spirit as martial arts.

Martial arts is no more complicated,mysterious or enlightened that a whole host of other skills or arts that people combine to excellence. I do not understand where martial arts even gets this concept other than ego stroking.

Again, an opinion, and you are entitled to it. But please don't try to paint me with that brush. If you are satisfied with the learning you have without gi, good for you. Be happy. But in my opinion, you are missing something.

I'm with drop bear on this one. It's not that I'm dismissive of the value of concentrated, thoughtful mind/body/spirit practice in martial arts. It's that I don't think martial artists should be dismissive of the value of concentrated, thoughtful mind/body/spirit practice in a host of domains unrelated to martial arts. The lessons that you or I might have learned from a lifetime of martial arts practice, someone else may have learned from a lifetime of practicing the flute or rock climbing.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm with drop bear on this one. It's not that I'm dismissive of the value of concentrated, thoughtful mind/body/spirit practice in martial arts. It's that I don't think martial artists should be dismissive of the value of concentrated, thoughtful mind/body/spirit practice in a host of domains unrelated to martial arts. The lessons that you or I might have learned from a lifetime of martial arts practice, someone else may have learned from a lifetime of practicing the flute or rock climbing.

If someone has learned to use gi in some other enterprise, good for them. For my part though, I am not sure gi is best described simply as "concentrated, thoughtful mind/body/spirit practice." If you do believe that is the best description, then no doubt you achieved the use of gi very early on, and I applaud you for your ability to do so.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK there is no evidence of a spirit. That is not an opinion. That just is.

What makes martial arts a deeper more mental or spiritual art than anything else? It can't just be because you really like it. People really like all kinds of stuff.

How do you define spirit?

I don't think development of gi reakkt depends on how much you like martial arts, other than I think it would be a part of it in that if you didn't like martial arts, you would be less likely to begin, and certainly to continue studying.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If someone has learned to use gi in some other enterprise, good for them. For my part though, I am not sure gi is best described simply as "concentrated, thoughtful mind/body/spirit practice." If you do believe that is the best description, then no doubt you achieved the use of gi very early on, and I applaud you for your ability to do so.
I assume you meant ki or qi rather than "gi?"

In any case, I don't think there was any mention of ki/chi/qi in this thread previously to your post just now. I was responding to Bill's assertion that "Martial arts is not like lifting weights; the approach is one of mind, body, and spirit and it requires concentration and thoughtful practice to even begin to absorb the basics, let alone the deeper meanings"

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I assume you meant ki or qi rather than "gi?"

In any case, I don't think there was any mention of ki/chi/qi in this thread previously to your post just now. I was responding to Bill's assertion that "Martial arts is not like lifting weights; the approach is one of mind, body, and spirit and it requires concentration and thoughtful practice to even begin to absorb the basics, let alone the deeper meanings"

Well, ki, qi, chi, or gi, or whatever else, I think we all understand each other or can ask for clarification. If I remember from reading some 35-40 years ago, there are something like 13 or 15 different systems of depicting Korean words into English. To me, "gi" always seemed to better express the word as I have heard the word pronounced. And that is not with a "j" similar sound but more of a back of the mouth sound sort of like the "g" in goat.

As to it first being used, I guess I have to plead guilty to that, although it was several posts above. I was keying off the use of the word spirit (and probably confusing this thread with another one) and connecting its possible use as a synonym of gi. That was probably an error, in the context of this thread. But drop bear would best clarify that. Possibly when he tells us how he defines spirit, whether he believes in it or not.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, ki, qi, chi, or gi, or whatever else, I think we all understand each other or can ask for clarification. If I remember from reading some 35-40 years ago, there are something like 13 or 15 different systems of depicting Korean words into English. To me, "gi" always seemed to better express the word as I have heard the word pronounced. And that is not with a "j" similar sound but more of a back of the mouth sound sort of like the "g" in goat.

As to it first being used, I guess I have to plead guilty to that, although it was several posts above. I was keying off the use of the word spirit (and probably confusing this thread with another one) and connecting its possible use as a synonym of gi. That was probably an error, in the context of this thread. But drop bear would best clarify that. Possibly when he tells us how he defines spirit, whether he believes in it or not.
Yeah, I figured maybe you were switching between threads and got the discussion in this one mixed up with the "any evidence that chi works?" thread.

My comment in this thread was addressing the question of whether martial arts is a uniquely special area of study in terms of "mind, body, and spirit and it requires concentration and thoughtful practice to even begin to absorb the basics, let alone the deeper meanings" compared to other domains where practitioners devote themselves to excellence.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Back to the question of the OP:

As an unarmed art, Sambo is reasonably complete, so learning another unarmed art isn't going to pay much dividends.

If you're focusing on more real-world self-defence, go train that on your off days.

I always advise people who do unarmed arts to go do armed ones if they can. It will be a real eye opener. It's one thing to learn knife defence, and quite another to learn how to use a knife. Most FMA schools have a robust weapons program.