WC Kicking the forgotten part of the art?

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've noticed watching these videos from many schools online that it seems many do not incorporate the kicking in sparring, drills, or application as much. We've had students come to us from other teachers and they become so surprised when my instructor re-directs, attacks, and kicks them at the same time. Even in Chi Sau I rarely see the legs used.

Being very small, I've found that without the kicks I'm not able to execute quite a few WC techniques as well. Whether it's latching the neck or arm for a take down, re-directing their body, or defending against a grappler's take down. Even just being able to reach the face to punch, or chop the throat (my instructor is 6'4" I'm 5'5"). But when I kick the leg at the same time, I'm able to overcome a much larger attackers force, and thus more effectively defend myself.

It's been brought to my attention that not all schools do this, and I wondered why?

monji112000

Green Belt
Reaction score
are you talking about kicking in general or combining kicking with a hand attack like a punch? If you are talking about kicking and lets say punching at the exact same time. Its in the dummy form, and some people do this in fighting. But it has been explained to me that just because its done that way in the form, doesn't mean the Idea behind it is exactly that way.

I have tried to do this move when I spar and it has never worked for me. I have been told that when you kick and punch at the same time you will a)one of the techniques loses its power b) you don't have much base to stop you from falling over.

that was what constantly happened to me when someone attacked me full force.

If you are talking about adding kicks to follow or precede your hand attacks.. I think they are the most vital aspect of Wing Chun. JMO
Some people focus and hardening the hand and making it into a weapon. But for me thats not realistic, were the foot already is a weapon. My hands are not going to be crippled. JMO

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We train to kick as you come in deflecting and punching at the same time. Sometimes latching and kicking simultaneously, followed up with chain punching, etc.
I can understand feeling unbalanced when you kick and punch at the same time. I felt the same when I first started training. You just drill it and you'll start to do it without thinking.
On a larger and stronger opponent I've regained balance when I kicked the leg. Using them for balance in a way. Side stepping and pivoting as you move forward, kicking the knee as you deflect and punching as you continuesly move forward into the attacker. You'll pretty much "bowl them over" or litterly walk through them. They have to back up or go down when the knee is kicked. Thus, this brings a taller attacker down to my height so my punches are more effective. Keeping me from having to reach up to punch.

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Apparently it is the forgotten part of the art. (crickets chirping)

We noticed this in our area of the world and I just wondered if there were others out there that simoltaneously deflected, attacked, kicked and stepped/pivoted into the opponent. This is our main objective in a conflict, and what we teach pretty early on so the students can develop these skills. (crickets chirping louder)

I just didn't think we were totally alone in this form of teaching Wing Chun.
(crickets having a breakdancing feista)

larry

White Belt
Reaction score
traditionally students do not learn kicking application until they are able to adequately sink. The reason is that they won't be able to kick without coming up out of their roots. As a result they may be able to know and practice kicks but they have no power or balance. Some teachers can kick accurately and with power, and good enough to disrupt the opponent's structure. But they never acheived the chi gurk level. Wing chun's hand and body structure are adequate enough to defeat most opponents. Completing the leg training for total body unity is not something that a lot of practitioners complete.

Nobody

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yea, i have had the same question an just think that maybe the people are not mentally or physically coordinated enough to do it yet. The thing is wing chung kick are the most important thing cause when you start fighting the more advanced from other schools the easiest way to defeat there kicking is the wing chung kick. I still stand an look at people that are considered master both on the internet an of the internet in wing chung i have meet never even employ such an easy technique that it just leaves me sad for where wing chung is going. That first kick as monji112000 says is in the wooden dummy form an just over all indicates the use of kick against a kick. Who ever told him not to apply it like the wooden dummy form is a person that i hope was trying to say something else. Cause oddly i have found that most thing wing chung literally apply to all form of fighting directly as they are. That has been a thing i noticed an then there are these people teaching wing chung that do not even have a good or close to how i was shown to apply each of the blocks an a lot that just do not use connecting or forward energy when doing the bridging in a block or a punch. I have seen for instance two hands to one arm instead of as i was taught.

p.s. yea i left out the name of blocks intentionally not sure if everyone hear knows the name this time.

monji112000

Green Belt
Reaction score
in the dummy form there is a part were you punch and kick at the exact same time, I was talking about that. From what I understand this isn't exactly the application of the technique. To punch and kick exactly at the time in my opinion and from my testing this it doesn't work.

Kicking someones kick can work very well and I didn't say or imply that it can't. you have to feel the timing, and you can kick thier round kick.

Who ever told him not to apply it like the wooden dummy form is a person that i hope was trying to say something else.
Its a waste of time to name the names of people you don't know. Lets just say I come from the opinion that the dummy form has parts that can be applied without much thinking and others that arn't apparent. Thats why many people feel once you can "dismantle" the dummy form you know the whole system.

I respect your opnion, I just disagree.

I have seen for instance two hands to one arm instead of as i was taught.
key phrase being "what I was tought". Just becouse you were tought something doesn't make it correct or incorrect. everyone can take a crack at creating unique and avongard ways to apply any technique from any style doesn't mean it works. If someone shows you something that they are able to do in a real fight, its worth looking and trying to understand why it works. Thats even more important when its something you were not tought. That doesn't negate what you were tought or negate your teachers "honor".

I have recently visited a handful of schools and I am always open and interested in learning something.

just as a side note, I don't follow the belife that Wing Chun has blocks, we cover. :drinkbeer

Nobody

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well i am just saying that i can not know what your instructor was saying cause you are probably just paring it down which there is possibly something more to what was said.

I have found both the excat idea works in wing chung an the singular act broken from the wooden dummy form so i agree with you there.

Your right about the word block i should have used the term for what i was meaning instead of being to skeptical of people knowledge of terms. Next, time i will just use the terms on my mind! I will be more discriptive next time.

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We teach kicking (heel kick) at least the very first class. Along with chain punching, stance and stepping and dai sau. Beginning students learn right away to deflect, punch, kick and step into their opponent immediately.
We've found that if you teach this way right from the beginning it allows the student to develop the coordination, power, and simoltaneous technique needed to be devastatingly effecive.

Other masters teach this way, maybe not all, but i've found kicking as you defelect and attack. This is how you defeat a larger and stronger attacker. By doing more in a moment, not giving your opponent an opportunity to counter you defense and attack you further.

Being short as well, I've found that kicking the leg right off the bat kills the opponents power when they are punching and brings them to my "height" enough so I can more effectively punch them. Plus, turning them, changing their balance, but reguardless if you break the leg, hyper extend the knee, or just turn their body or break their forward force, it's all good. And either way makes you more effective.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Learn to take the Sui Lum Tao, and utilise it in the Chum Kui, then you will have the foundation for kicking.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We teach kicking (heel kick) at least the very first class. Along with chain punching, stance and stepping and dai sau. Beginning students learn right away to deflect, punch, kick and step into their opponent immediately.
We've found that if you teach this way right from the beginning it allows the student to develop the coordination, power, and simoltaneous technique needed to be devastatingly effecive.

Other masters teach this way, maybe not all, but i've found kicking as you defelect and attack. This is how you defeat a larger and stronger attacker. By doing more in a moment, not giving your opponent an opportunity to counter you defense and attack you further.

Being short as well, I've found that kicking the leg right off the bat kills the opponents power when they are punching and brings them to my "height" enough so I can more effectively punch them. Plus, turning them, changing their balance, but reguardless if you break the leg, hyper extend the knee, or just turn their body or break their forward force, it's all good. And either way makes you more effective.

My very first class, taught to me in mexico, consisted of learning to walk, learning to walk with the heal kick/shin scrape, and chain punches. Having done it from the beginning made it fairly easy to pick up. Upon first contact in combat now my body WANTS to scrape the shin while closing the distance. It was taught to me that if you can take the opponents mind out of the game, then you will win. The initial scrape forces the untrained eye to look down because it's unexpected. When the other person that you are fighting watches you close in, their eyes go somewhat crossed. This limits the peripheral vision and gives a slight tunnel vision effect making the kick unseen. While still in the same forward moving/advancing motion you throw in the leg scrape, and a milli-second later you work the arms (if necessary) and then sternum/neck. This will surely throw your opponent back if not knock him down leaving him breathless. I would probably throw in a palm strike to the ear as he goes down. Just to seal the deal.

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kick the knee to bring the opponent down, not just scrape or distract. That would be wasted movement.
Moving the body as one will achieve maximum effenciency. Kicking, deflect, punch, and step in at the same time. This is how I was taught from both teachers.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The trouble is it can be very hard to use a stamp kick during a fight.
I have been in a few fights (too many) and most of the time people grab me. In this situation I can sometimes use kicking/sweeping, but only if the opponent is static.

Many students in class get carried away with kicking first and find that it never works. Or worse, their opponent is submissive and allows the kick to pretend to have hurt them.

I find stamp kicks great for finishing a person (ie strike the face/throat etc and then take out his lower half.

Si-Je where do you train/ if you ever want to come down to my class and work on stuff afterwards you are welcome. It seems like you are doubting you're ability to take someone out using your upper half (arms etc) and I'm sure you could easily do this. I am a big guy and train alongside women and they have no problem dealing with me

Don't lose faith

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My hands are good, but their not my complete arsenal. Stamp kick is fine for close in, but Heel kick can help get you there, or hook kick, or stance work. If you do this as your attacking with your hands it tends to keep an opponent busy.

Since your a big guy, I'd probably use alot of kicking. I train with large men, and I've found this brings them down to my height so to speak. ;)
We train to kick, deflect, attack and step at the same time. Very effective. Doesn't give your oppoent much time to counter.

I've seen this trend in Wing Chun and wanted to know if anyone elese train's like this. As of yet I haven't see anyone that does. (except for the masters that taught my teacher/hubbie) Just curious.

As for pretending, that's what alot of training is. You don't want to really hurt your training partner. You can still experiment and find what works for you.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My hands are good, but their not my complete arsenal. Stamp kick is fine for close in, but Heel kick can help get you there, or hook kick, or stance work. If you do this as your attacking with your hands it tends to keep an opponent busy.

Since your a big guy, I'd probably use alot of kicking. I train with large men, and I've found this brings them down to my height so to speak. ;)
We train to kick, deflect, attack and step at the same time. Very effective. Doesn't give your oppoent much time to counter.

I've seen this trend in Wing Chun and wanted to know if anyone elese train's like this. As of yet I haven't see anyone that does. (except for the masters that taught my teacher/hubbie) Just curious.

As for pretending, that's what alot of training is. You don't want to really hurt your training partner. You can still experiment and find what works for you.

I have found that kicking a big guy is dangerous. I train MT and TKD as well as wing chun and smaller guys try and kick me. The problem they find that I have too much muscle around my legs for kicks to be effective. Not only that but I soon counter with an attack of my own. My legs beat their legs every time

Due to my legs being of larger mass it is like a gazelle kicking an elephant!!

Can I just ask Si Je - have you had success in a real confrontation using this tactic. I am not being sarcastic - I am genuinally interested.

I have found that in all aspects of my training, people have found it very hard to bring me down using kicks as their first attack.

OP
Si-Je

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's been quite awhile since I've been in a street brawl! I'm a big girl now.
But as for kicking a large man in thier tree trunk legs the important thing is WHERE you kick.

Our Hook kick is my least favorite kick, it's too much like a MT kick. Your right, if I kick a fella like you in the thiegh, shin, or main part of the leg there will be no effect.

But, if I use one of my favorite kicks, Heel Kick, large legs won't help you much. I've noticed that big guys almost always have bad knees. ;)
Heel kick the knee, side of the knee, and a smaller person will do just fine.
My hubbie leg presses about 1,000 lbs. with his legs. His knees are definately the weakness. No amount of leg muscle is going to help your joint.

You do this with deflection and attack your hands will back up your kick, and step into the opponnets space at the same time you'll find that you WC will be twice as devastating.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
But as for kicking a large man in thier tree trunk legs the important thing is WHERE you kick.

Our Hook kick is my least favorite kick, it's too much like a MT kick. Your right, if I kick a fella like you in the thiegh, shin, or main part of the leg there will be no effect.

But, if I use one of my favorite kicks, Heel Kick, large legs won't help you much. I've noticed that big guys almost always have bad knees. ;)
My hubbie leg presses about 1,000 lbs. with his legs. His knees are definately the weakness. No amount of leg muscle is going to help your joint.

You do this with deflection and attack your hands will back up your kick, and step into the opponnets space at the same time you'll find that you WC will be twice as devastating.

Damn she's smart :D

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I see what you are saying, but in a real fight when someone grabs you, the kick is going to be hard to pull off.

Any kick (even a childs) has a lot of power. It is heavier than a leg. The knee can only take about 10 pounds of pressure before it collapses (bends the wrong way), but it is often hard to hit the target, especially if the target is moving.

I would suggest getting comfortable with both ways of fighting. I used to box (and still do from time to time) and relied upon my upper body. Before I did wing chun, someone grabbed my hands and I didn't know what to do!! It was too close to use my karate kicks and I hadn't developed stripping techniques from wing chun etc

As I said, my offer is open and you are more than welcome to come train. There are some techniques that will bring big guys down without using kicks.

It's good you have developed that power in your legs though

NanFeiShen

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Been out of Wing Chun for a while now, concentrating on Taiji, but still keep up my forms, stepping and kicking.
With training, Wing Chun kicking can be quite devastating, and very powerful.
If done right, they are almost impossible to counter in time, and if one doesnt expect it, they are solid shots.
My teacher had OCD, (not a bad thing for a teacher), and there were many classes where the hour was spent only kicking. 50 - 100 repetitions per leg, then change and same again, at the time it was a killer, but the benefits were certainly there.
Heres one training trick we used, : Take one plastic chair (the common hall type/public chair) turn its back towards you. In stance weight on back leg , forward leg light, place your forward foot on the floor in line with the back of the chair. Proceed to practice your forward heel kick by lifting the knee and kicking out over the top of the back of the chair. The idea is to develop the technique of lifting knee, extending leg and bring leg back with knee up ready for another.
Another training technique, is to get a heavy bag, stand quite close and lift knee to place foot flat against bottom part of bag, now thrust forward hard with the foot, pushing the bag out and away, Keep the leg up and use the same foot to stop the back swing of the bag, ...helps with rooting for kicking.
To develop power in Wing Chun kicking, one needs strong upper leg muscles, for quick lift and hard thrust, the secret is getting the knee up high.
Training that way will build strength and power so that when you use smaller shorter kicks in sparring they will have power and speed, plus you will find your root will be strong.

Latest Discussions