Want to Learn

RedMonster

White Belt
Reaction score
I want to become familiar with handguns, their use, be safe around them. Maybe even take a combat handgun class, all for personal reasons. Anyone know of any courses, schools, weekend events? I live in the DC area but if I can drive there in a day its close enough. Is LFI legit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Red

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I want to become familiar with handguns, their use, be safe around them. Maybe even take a combat handgun class, all for personal reasons. Anyone know of any courses, schools, weekend events? I live in the DC area but if I can drive there in a day its close enough. Is LFI legit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Red

Since you're in the DC area, you have access to one of the best. The NRA range in Fairfax is a great place to begin:

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/nrahqrange/

Start out with the intro classes, before moving on to the more advanced tactical training.

They have a wide array of classes:

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/nrahqrange/events.asp

Give them a call, and by all means, ask them questions, since they'll be happy to bring you in.

By LFI, I assume you mean Massad Ayoob's place?

The most basic of the LFI courses, LFI I, is going to be a bit beyond the beginner. Once you have some familiarity, though, it's a great course to enrich your knowledge about shooting, and what to do after such a shooting, as what to do in terms of prevention, etc.

The Combat Handgun course would be a good one, too, but only after you've had some basic training.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Red

Red,

LFI is very legit. 40 hours. 1/2 of it is about law. Yes LAW. How to handle yourself before the incident, during the incident, and after it.

Like Grenadier said, take a course on 'this is a gun' and how to handle it and safely use it. Then, if you got more money, and advanced class. After that, LFI-1!

And once you start likeing to shoot and practice, the nearest IDPA club were you can then test your skills.

Deaf

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It would help to know where in the DC area you are. If you are in DC itself you can pretty much forget a handgun for self defense unless Heller prevails. Maryland too, unless you are strictly talking about your own home.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Cleveland is about 6 hours drive from DC. If your willing to go that far checkout Tactical Defense Institute (TDI). A friend of mine who just moved here from Ohio highly recommends them.

Latest Discussions