UFC Owners buy Pride for $65 Million?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Two independent, reliable and unrelated sources have confirmed that Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta — whom own and operate Zuffa LLC, the parent company of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) — have purchased its biggest rival, PRIDE FC, for $65 million. An official announcement is expected this Wednesday.
I’ve been sitting on this nugget all afternoon since hearing it live on the Savage Dog Show and Beatdown Sherdog radio.

http://ufcmania.com/2007/03/19/ufc-owners-fertittas-purchase-pride-fc-for-65-million/

While nothing official has been announced yet, it looks like this happened.

Note that it was the Fertitta brothers that bought Pride, not Zuffa.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now that would be sweet! I hope Crocop kicks Couture in the head and ends up defending his title against Fedor!

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is interesting. If that is true then the UFC has 0 competition at all.

gixxershane

Green Belt
Reaction score
i think this will help the ufc come more main streem.. it will also bring a lot more tallent into the ufc..

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
no idea, the official announcement hasn't even been made yet, so this is really still just a rumor.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't necessarily think consolidation is a bad thing. look at boxing for instance. Anyone can fight anyone, even though you have seperate organizations/belts. I think consolidating the talent is going to make for some great fights in the future. The only thing that might be missed will be the ring vs octagon. I wonder how they will deal with that? Or the subtle rule differences? Go with the UFC rule set?

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If it is true, they need to remain as separate entities. It would be much wiser for them.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
hmmm not sure if this will be good....where will pride be held then? in Japan or america?

It will make fighter cross overs easier but i prefer the variety of being able to watch more then one org with Top fighters.

Raiderbeast

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
From MMAWeekly:

The rumors swirling around the sale of Pride FC have been ongoing for quite some time, but things flared up again on Monday when Sherdog.com started talking about strong rumors from some of their sources, who said that the deal has finally been struck.

MMAWeekly has confirmed with our own sources, including sources in Japan that are extremely close to the situation, that the deal has indeed been reached. From what we understand, Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta have come to an agreement that would put Pride in their hands. But remember, that is an agreement, not a finalized transaction. As with any business transaction as complex as the purchase of one company by another, things are never 100% finalized until the proverbial keys to the front door have finally changed hands.

With that said, unless something changes at the eleventh hour, it appears that Pride will soon fall under the ownership of the Fertitta brothers. According to our sources, the purchase is believed to include fighter contracts, Pride’s video library, and the Pride FC name brand. The issue of fighter contracts is one of the more touchy points, as there can be variables in each individual contract that will have to be dealt with, and no information has come forth that states which fighters would be included.

It was not immediately clear when the deal would be announced, although it is believed that Nobuyuki Sakikabara, the President & CEO Of Dream Stage Entertainment (Pride’s present owner), is traveling to the United States this week in regards to matters related to the agreement.

KenpoGunz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. I guess I'll just wait and see.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's still not certain and just a rumor. Nothing has been officially announced, so best wait and see if it even actually materializes ;)

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Then again....

PRIDE boss Nobuyuki Sakakibara has told his employees he is leaving the company but that all of their jobs are safe.Pride FC is on the verge of being acquired by the UFC, provided no snags take place before contracts are signed and Pride hands the keys over to UFC it looks as though its a done deal.Nobuyuki Sakakibara yesterday told several members of the U.S. Pride staff that the company is in the [process] of being sold to Lorenzo & Frank Fertitta. He said the agreement in principal is done but there are still some minor points to be worked out and the contract is not signed. Sakakibara said he would be leaving the company but that everyone would be keeping their jobs. The company would be operated separately from UFC, but obviously UFC could use any Pride fighter for a big match that it needed.

More...

Drag'n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Today a Japanese pride fighter I regularly spar with came into the dojo confirming the rumors. Apparently they've been told that the company is going to be closed down, and they're all not sure whats happenning with their contracts, or how things are going to be run after the take over.
So the fighters are a tad anxious about whats going on.
Hopefully it'll mean bigger purses and more international exposure.

Latest Discussions