TUF 10 Finale interview: Schoonover wants a piece of the bully

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
12-05-2009 02:45 PM:

Aside from Zak Jensen, no one took more abuse during season 10 of "The Ultimate Fighter" than Darrill Schoonover. Early on coach Quinton Jackson decided to pick on Schoonover calling him "titties" and was relentless in his ball-busting. The Texan put a stop to the nickname once he left the show. He had one lush call him titties and it was thwarted quickly:

"I've had one person walk up to me and I scared the piss out of them," said Schoonover. "He didn't do it no more. He was pretty drunk. I walked up and grabbed his hand, pulled him towards me and said don't [expletive] call me that anymore."

You can chalk up the nickname to Jackson's joking nature and immaturity. On the other hand, castmate James McSweeney often simply came off as a jerk when he mocked on castmates:

"Basically James is just a bully," Schoonover told Cagewriter. "He tried it with me and it didn't happen. He likes to be the schoolyard bully but I'm going to put an end to that when I fight him."

Schoonover faces McSweeney tonight. He hits the cage with a 19 pound weight advantage which could come into play if McSweeney continues to show a lack of punching power. Schoonover said everything McSweeney does it to set up his kicks and that he'll "walk through him."

The subplot of this fight is that win or lose Schoonover won't get another UFC fight for a while. A member of the Army reserve he got his papers to return to Afghanistan.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions