Trying to start in Chicago

V

Vallerina

Hello! Sorry if this question is asked too much, but I've tried searching here and elsewhere on the internet, but I'm not finding enough information.

Basically, I would like to try out martial arts or karate. It all sounds interesting and fun, especially Grappling, Kenpo, Tae Kwon Do, and Aikido. Since the type doesn't matter as much to me as the location, I was just wondering if anyone on here had a recommendation of where to go in the Chicago area (I work downtown, and I live in NW Indiana.)

Sorry if these kinds of questions are asked too much, but I don't really have a clue! I don't know of anyone in my area who has taken classes, and there are so many schools here, I feel overwhelmed!

OP
T

TonyM.

Caution! Do not take TKD in Chicago with someone that calls themselves careem abdul jabar.

OP
T

TangSooGuy

i don't know Illinois well enough to know the geography, but all the svchools in Illinois that are affiliated with my association (World Tang Soo Do Association)
should be listed here:

http://www.wtsda.com/regions/index.asp?region=5

Tang Soo Do as a style may or may not be for you. The same could be said of any style. Your best bet is to visit as many different schools as you can and try to find one that fits you best.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depended on what you are looking for, here is a listeing of Kung Fu schools in that area as well.

Link

7sm

bushi jon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello there are a few good schools in valpo, also I know of one in rockford that is real good. If you want to travel to south bend you can come train with us. I am taught shorin ryu,kenpo , and jujutsu

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Isn't it funny how we all jump to her "rescue" like bidding for a role in a hollywood movie!!

:rofl:

We all throw in our own system! just kinda curious.

7sm

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Last time I was in the area there was a great Hapkido school in downtown Downers Grove...

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There is also a Kung Fu San Soo (a style I study and highly recommend for self defense - if that is your interest) in Genoa Illinois.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
OP
V

Vallerina

Originally posted by arnisador
It might help to have more info.--are you just interested in trying something out, or are you looking for self-defense, or exercise, or a hobby, or something else? [/B]
I'm not really looking for self-defense or exercise. I've just always been intrigued by some of the maneuvers done. I am completely ignorant of the different styles, and the amount of schools is overwhelming! I'm gonna take a look at a few different ones, and I'm really appreciative of the input given here. I'm better off with a few recommendations rather than none! Thanks again!

Oh! And through my searching, I am taking a free introductory class next Wednesday. I'm really excited about it! It's a Wing Chun school, and it sounds like MUCHO fun!

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Vallerina,

First let me say that from what I've seen here, all questions are welcomed. It's a great place for information.

Your question is of great importance to me, because a couple of years ago, I was in your place. I wanted Martial Arts training, and thought, it doesn't matter what, just find a school.

But the type really does matter. My style teaches a "certain" way, and after a couple years, I'm thinking that this is not quite what I wanted. But the problem was/is, I didn't know what I wanted, because I didn't "window shop" first. Now I've invested time in this style, and may look elsewhere.

So, my advice is to pull as much info from all the great people on this forum, and GO SHOPPING!

Most instructors will let you watch and ask questions.
Think about what you "might" want to do. Try to find it.

Overall Martial Arts is a great experience. Good luck.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Vallerina
Oh! And through my searching, I am taking a free introductory class next Wednesday. I'm really excited about it! It's a Wing Chun school, and it sounds like MUCHO fun!

Ask questions, ask questions, ask questions. Thats my advice, oh and have FUN!!

Wing Chun is fun, you just have to find a good inclusive system that fits well with your personality and then just work hard and have alot of fun.

7sm

OP
V

Vallerina

Okay, so I signed up for a bunch of introductory classes with various schools of various styles.

One more question, and then I'll stop bugging everyone! What's the difference between schools that focus on one or two "types" than schools that offer almost all?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay, so I signed up for a bunch of introductory classes with various schools of various styles.

One more question, and then I'll stop bugging everyone! What's the difference between schools that focus on one or two "types" than schools that offer almost all?

Just that the instructor has focused on one or two systems in those schools, and the others, the instructor may have studied many.

Personally, I would advise to lean towards the school that teaches only one or two systems, reather than the many. Not allways, but many times, the instructor may have a better understanding of the system if he/she has focused on that one system for quite a while.

JMHO,
7sm

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This was a great idea. Try to find something you enjoy.:)

There is also Kuk Sool in Chicago see here.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Val-

I would advise you to go with the school that focuses on one art...

remember the phrase "Jack of All Trades, Master of None."

-Nightingale

ps...see ya on www.dropzone.com !

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would agree that Less is More, especially when starting out. One art or possibily two arts that work well together (e.g., I study Jeet Kune Do and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at the same school--stand-up with weapons and wrestling with sport aspects, respectively). A single art or possibly two carefully chosen ones is best at the beginning, and I'd lean toward a single art also for the reasons Nightingale indicates.

Please let us know your impressions of the arts you sample!

Latest Discussions