Tracksuits vs Shorts

M

Master of Blades

I've recently started watching the Muay Thai championship fights that have been showing here on the UK on Channel 5 and I was wondering about something.

In all other fights they wear shorts but in the Full Contact fights with spinning back fists etc they tend to wear Tracksuits.....Why is this? What exactly does it do?

And one other question.........How come in some fights the Spinning Elbow is allowed but I have yet to see a fight with a spinning Back Fist. Whats up with that? I would have thought a spinning Elbow was a lot more dangerous then a backfist? :confused:

Thankyou :asian:

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You mean the long pants that look like track pants that kickboxers wear? In my experience if they are wearing pants it isn't a Muay Thai match it's a kickboxing match with rules that include leg kicks and rarely some knees. If it's Muay Thai they wear shorts. I honestly don't know about the spinning back fist thing. I do know it is allowed in many forms of kickboxing matches but I have no clue why I don't see it in Muay Thai matches but I do see spinning elbows like you said. Thankyou for bringing this up as I am very curious myself on the legality of spinning back fist in traditional Muay Thai arenas. I will ask my Kru and if no one else answers here I'll post what I find out.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by Damian Mavis
You mean the long pants that look like track pants that kickboxers wear? In my experience if they are wearing pants it isn't a Muay Thai match it's a kickboxing match with rules that include leg kicks and rarely some knees. If it's Muay Thai they wear shorts. I honestly don't know about the spinning back fist thing. I do know it is allowed in many forms of kickboxing matches but I have no clue why I don't see it in Muay Thai matches but I do see spinning elbows like you said. Thankyou for bringing this up as I am very curious myself on the legality of spinning back fist in traditional Muay Thai arenas. I will ask my Kru and if no one else answers here I'll post what I find out.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Naw I was watching again and they only wear the track pants when it is under Full Contact MTA rules. I'm really interested in this wholr backfist/elbow thing so that info would be much appreciated :asian:

OP
M

Michael

Hi

For the spinning backfist question, you could try asking on www.ax-kickboxing.com - a lot of the people involved in the recent ch5 (UK) shows are regulars there (including one of the commentators).

Must admit I'm curious myself - if I recall correctly spinning backfist was the only technique not allowed. Given the choice, I think I'd rather be on the receiving end of a spinning backfist than a knee in the face any day ... :)

Cheers

Michael

OP
M

Master of Blades

Thanks for the link Michael......Didnt think about checking the net for it lol!

Just a quick question.....where about in London are you? :asian:

OP
M

Master of Blades

I'll ask again.......Where about in London you from? :D

OP
S

soccer50

Ive never ever seen a fight like the one described. Track pants?

As for the spinning elbow or back fist. The back fist has more momentum than the elbow. But the elbows point of impact is much harder. The backfist is more of a wiplash and the elbow is more of a brute force hard hit

Latest Discussions