Torn ACL without surgery

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is sort of a continuation of the joint pain thread. I just discovered that my ACL has completely torn , most likely from awhile ago, since I did not recall any "popping" incident, nothing painful , no swelling involved... discovered it because my knees are weak and sort of give out on me at times..

I was wondering if any of you out there with a torn ACL that decided NOT to do the surgery to have it reconstruct, and still practice TKD without problems? Do you wear a brace? Please share your experience!

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Faye-

This is not Tae Kwon Do, but the guy I work out with- a very good friend of mine completely tore his ACL. He tried to rehab. it himself over the course of one year, continuing to do his Kenpo, bike riding to build up the muscles in his leg so that they could take over for the ACL and also he bought and wore a very expensive knee brace. He worked very hard that year to overcome this injury on his own........during the course of the year, the knee gave out on him twice while doing just basic household things and once in class just doing basic stance work. He said he felt he'd rehabbed the knee all he could, but it still always felt a little unstable and unpredictable. After about a year and a half......he could do most everything in class, but he elected to finally have the surgery cuz he wanted a stable knee again.....one he could count on in class doing whatever and whenever and not having it buckle without notice.

All seems to depend on how active you are and how much you rely on that knee. I elected to have the surgery as soon as I could after I blew my knee out........much of this had to do with that I am very active in martial arts, but also in hiking, snow skiing and some other activities where I depend on my knee. My physician was a sports doctor as well and he suggested I have the surgery based on my lifestyle. He said an older, more sedentary person could do without the surgery.........just the advice I got.

Best of luck to you in your rehab, etc.

:asian: :karate:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I delayed my ACL surgery for a year, during which time my knee gave out several times, I could not jump, perform any standed twisting, etcetera.

After having had the surgery, I won't ever hesitate again should I require another one.

I can jump and spin now, walk normally.

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I completely blew out my ACL when I was 16, I am not 30 and have been training in Martial Arts (Red belt in TKD) pretty hard core since I was about 18. During about a 4-5 year stretch I worked out a minimum of 405 hours a day 7 days a week.

The knee does get sore, and gives out sometimes, but it had not been a major problem yet. I do take some nutritional supplements that help alot.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
While i had the ACL operated on I do know of a person who had his torn ACL "fixed" through accupuncture, claimed it is 100%. Since he works a Korean based system with plenty o' fancy kicks I give it credit. I would bite the bullet and do the surgery

Todd

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Faye said:
This is sort of a continuation of the joint pain thread. I just discovered that my ACL has completely torn , most likely from awhile ago, since I did not recall any "popping" incident, nothing painful , no swelling involved... discovered it because my knees are weak and sort of give out on me at times..

I was wondering if any of you out there with a torn ACL that decided NOT to do the surgery to have it reconstruct, and still practice TKD without problems? Do you wear a brace? Please share your experience!

Faye,

I tore it in 1977 at the Collegiate Nationals. I tested for black belt the following year. The doctor who finally did the surgery two months ago said that I compensated because my leg muscles were strong enough. The knee got me through a TKD career, time as an infantry officer in the Marines, thousands of miles of running and lifting, etc.

That said, had I the option for surgery back then, I'd have taken it. I ended up with arthritis from all of this. I also have achilles tendonitis in the left foot from favoring one side. My back got screwed up from being a sweet side kicker...I hated basing on that bad knee.

Its a hassle, but you'll have a stable knee that should be stronger than your old one. I know a judoka who has had both of them done. She had inherently weak ACL's. Now both are strong.

Regards,

Steve

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
MAN...talk about time management skills. I wish I could squeeze 405 hours into a day.

Regards,

Steve
:rofl:

I, too, wouldn't mind having that many hours (provided I don't die from exhaustion) to accomplish oh so many things!!

- Ceicei

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
He must have meant a dash between 4-5. Even though, I don't think I would have that much time or energy in a day.

Faye, if you are young, I would go for the surgery too. Sounds better in the long run. You might damage other ligaments trying to do TKD. It just gets more taxing on the joints as you go. You would have to devote yourself to keeping all four quad muscles strong plus your hamstrings in the back of your knee to compensate for your ACL gone. Then you would still wonder if it was going to be there on those jump kicks which you needed it. Hard decision. TW

OP
F

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is a very difficult decision for me. I'll talk to the surgeon and then decide. Right now, the physical therapist thinks that I'm doing pretty good. I think the main thing here is that, I'm constantly worrying that my knee will give out on me, if i share my worries with my husband , he'll just say, can't you just quit takewondo and do wing chun with me?! :)
Let me strengthen all my leg mucles and I'll report back!

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi Faye,

My buddy blew out his ACL as a teenager, and never got it repaired. He too is a martial artist, and essentially just developed his muscles to support his bad knee. He trained with no major problems until about a year ago, he blew out his right ACL, and had since had it operated on. He's just now coming to the point where he could probably get back to full training with the pivoting and such on his new ACL rebuild. As for his other knee, his doctor recommended getting it repaired, but that there was no rush for it since he has compensated for it w/his muscle development around the knee. It is his opinion that having his ACL repaired is a good thing, especially since he's not getting any younger. Good luck on your decision.

K

KenpoGirl

in December of 2000 I landed wrong on a flying side kick. Pop Pop went the knee. AAARRRGGGGHHHH ****, **** went I. It was only a partial tear and the doc's said I didn't need surgery.

Took me 2 years before I really got back to training. Hurt like hell for about a year, but now its much stronger and though it does give me some pain, its nothing I can't endure. I am careful not to do and jump kicks because I don't want it to happen again.

Actually doing Stance Set over and over and over and over again was what fixed it for me.

Dot
:asian:

OP
F

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo Girl- yikes. I was lucky that i felt no pain, i honestly think that I've injured it awhile , but i'm very puzzled as why I don't remember that at all I think that practicing the forms at a very low stance ( my school's basic requirement anyway) really helps strengthen my mucles and will help. I'm so worried because of the horrible things that can happen to that knee down the road without the ligament...

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
When mine went, it was the single most painful experience of my life. It was worse than the crushed testicle. When I tell that to men, they have a hard time believing it.

For some people, its merely uncomfortable. I think it depends on how it happens. I tore some cartilage and strained the MCL when it happened.

Regards,

Steve

OP
F

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tigerwoman- or anyone who wears a brace, what brand do you guys wear? My doctor recommended this don joy brace, that honestly looks too big and intimidating to me, I am not sure if i need a 600 dollar braces yet, what do you guys use?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Faye, I use a Hely & Weber brace. It is a double wrap velcro neoprene, hole in the front and the back. It has flexible, feels like plastic or thin metal maybe, long inserts by the sides of the knee area. It also has a gel/rubbery piece that tacks on for under the knee. My doc had it placed by the side but that cause me trouble and wasn't as good as a support so I put it (U shaped) under my knee and velcroed it in. I've gotten real used to it now and it is great support. But I heard the ACL needs a different support system. And since I have my ACL strong, you really need to listen to your doc. Maybe he has one that isn't too restrictive, stiff that you can't kick. You really have to talk to him and describe, show him the movements in TKD. TW

Latest Discussions