Tibet resigned to no help

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DHARMSALA, India - Nearly six decades of struggle against the might of China has taught the Tibetans one thing: Ask the world for little, expect less.

As Tibetans rose up in recent weeks against China's harsh rule over the Himalayan region and China sent forces to quell the protests, Tibet's government-in exile-sent its envoys to far-flung capitals with appeals for help.

But guided by the Dalai Lama, the Tibetan spiritual leader, they kept their requests modest. They know few countries have the appetite to cross China, particularly at a time the world is counting on the emerging superpower to keep the global economy ticking as the United States appears headed into a recession.
Full Article

Oil is more important, after all. :(

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The United States has no leverage with China now. We are broke. Wasn't the war of Dick "Swinging Dick" Cheney and his lackey hand puppet the Smirking Chimp paid for on credit?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Next time you try to organize a grassroots effort to help your country fend off the predations of a larger foe, appeal to the warmongers rather than the hippies. Benefit concerts don't change ****-all.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Next time you try to organize a grassroots effort to help your country fend off the predations of a larger foe, appeal to the warmongers rather than the hippies. Benefit concerts don't change ****-all.
He did appeal to the warmongers ... the USA.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
He did appeal to the warmongers ... the USA.

And his message fell on the ears of the folks who think "making a change" is buying Ben & Jerry's and slapping a snarky bumper sticker on the back of their car.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And his message fell on the ears of the folks who think "making a change" is buying Ben & Jerry's and slapping a snarky bumper sticker on the back of their car.
Too bad it couldn't fall on the ears of people who will kill for oil. Let's face it - the reason we're not there is because there's nothing in Tibet we can make money on.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Too bad it couldn't fall on the ears of people who will kill for oil. Let's face it - the reason we're not there is because there's nothing in Tibet we can make money on.

So, killing for no reason is okay? Would you support an invasion of China on the behalf of the Tibetans?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So, killing for no reason is okay? Would you support an invasion of China on the behalf of the Tibetans?
Probably not. China with it's military might... it'd be like a high school senior who's a linebacker walking up and challenging a pro linebacker on behalf of a 3rd grader. Chances are the senior is gonna get creamed and then the 3rd grader gets creamed right along side. Attacking China conventionally would be monumentally stupid.
It's one of Vizzini's classic blunders: "... never get into a land war with Asia..."

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Probably not. China with it's military might... it'd be like a high school senior who's a linebacker walking up and challenging a pro linebacker on behalf of a 3rd grader. Chances are the senior is gonna get creamed and then the 3rd grader gets creamed right along side. Attacking China conventionally would be monumentally stupid.
It's one of Vizzini's classic blunders: "... never get into a land war with Asia..."

Haha -- who would loan us money to buy bullets with? You don't suppose China would, do you?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not sure I agree with this statement completely. If Tibet had only been asking in the last five years for help I could agree with it. However, since the situation in Tibet has been going on for over half a century I don't think we can blame oil on the problem. Perhaps the political gain of aiding Tibet doesn't outweigh the political loss of getting our asses kicked by China... and hasn't for over 50 years.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hmmm, what kind of provacative statement can I make? I guess I'm just going to throw my hands up. There's so much bad **** in this world and I take solace in knowing that it ain't going to last long. In the meantime I get to teach my children how to live and love and be happy while people kill each other for the stupidest reasons imaginable. Tibet's situation has the kind of Swiftian hopeless irony to it that I can't help but chuckling darkly. What the **** is a person like me ever really going to accomplish regarding that situation?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Or it could possibly be that China has nukes and the largest standing military in the world.

I would love to see the demographic of the protestors actually inside China, the ones in India I already know about.

There was a PBS special a while back I will have to see if I can find the title but it was a group of college kids that went to Tibet expecting to see all Tibetans fighting the Chinese and poor living conditions and poverty and what they saw were a lot of Tibetans that were happy to have roads, schools and running water.

I am not sure the average Tibetan cares about China being there any more than the average Chinese Farmer cares about who is in power in Beijing.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Dalai Lama and the unofficial government of Tibet have been pleading their case to the world since occupation. I'm not blaming oil, I'm saying that help is hard for them to get because there's not really anything there to make money on. No oil, no valuable minerals, nothing much grows there ... life in Tibet is what Tibetans made of it - little more. No grand economy, just political position. They were taken by the Chinese because they were an easy target and of little interest to anyone else.

Tibet, to the world, is the AIDS baby in the orphanage. No one will adopt it but abusive foster parents.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The Dalai Lama and the unofficial government of Tibet have been pleading their case to the world since occupation. I'm not blaming oil, I'm saying that help is hard for them to get because there's not really anything there to make money on. No oil, no valuable minerals, nothing much grows there ... life in Tibet is what Tibetans made of it - little more. No grand economy, just political position. They were taken by the Chinese because they were an easy target and of little interest to anyone else.

Tibet, to the world, is the AIDS baby in the orphanage. No one will adopt it but abusive foster parents.

Taken by China when?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Tibet

And Communist China rolled in because it was a stratigically good move for them at then time due to Tibets Border with India

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Let's face it - the reason we're not there is because there's nothing in Tibet we can make money on.
What? We could make money on Buddhist prayer wheels couldn't we? I think a better explanation may be the size of China's military and its proximity to Tibet...the Dali Lama, by leaving the country, in essence abdicated his ruler-ship.

It may not sound like it but I am for a free and liberated Tibet.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am personally much more interested in the people of Taiwan, a democratic, capitalist nation (22million) than Tibet, but, that's just me.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Taiwan ain't no picnic either.

The VERY first thing the Guomingdong (the now democratic, capitalist nation) did when they got there was try and kill all the indigenous people.

And it is a very complicated issue as well. More so than Tibet actually

Latest Discussions