this made my stomach turn

Jagermeister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was looking for any video footage of muay thai with the peer-to-peer program Limewire. I found a few interesting clips - Ernesto Hoost, etc. Then I downloaded this one called "muay thai ouch". I thought I was going to puke. Maybe some of you have seen this, or something like it, but I'll describe it if you haven't. Basically a round kick is blocked with a knee, I think (I couldn't watch it more than once), and the shin of the fighter delivering the kick is snapped cleanly in 2. It looked like a piece of rubber swinging from the knee down. Please tell me this kind of thing doesn't happen often in this sport.

OP
Jagermeister

Jagermeister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
There are a couple of that sort of injury floating around.

Say you're saying it's a rare occurrance? Please tell a beginner to this sport that there's nothing to worry about. :anic:

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've seen it and it made me want to puke too! The worst part is, when he has to put weight down on his floppy leg. oooch.
Surely it can't be that common though?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is rare, and my understanding is it usually is not a single hit and snap, but an existing stress fracture finally getting pushed over the edge.

Train smart, don't blast away with full out kicks unless they are set up properly and this "risk" should be pretty much nill.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I had that deep down creepy feeling that I knew what this thread was going to be about before I even read it...

and I was right! That clip is like watching a train wreck! It's so unbelievable disturbing but you just can't help but watch it.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
happens all the time.
it happened to my cousin playing soccer. nasty!

Nanalo74

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh yeah. I remember that one. Yeah, that's rough. Anybody see the one of pro wrestler Sid Vicious attempting an ax kick off the second rope. When he lands his leg snaps in a similar fashion. Yecccchhh!

Vic www.combatartsusa.com

OP
Jagermeister

Jagermeister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That's the first thing I thought of when I saw that MT clip!

T

TheBattousai

Injuries like these are rare but things that can happen in compatition and sports. I've seen at a high school football game someone having some of there vertibra crushed and I watched a MIDDLE SCHOOL BASEBALL game where the batter got hit in the chest, and he had a heart murmor, his heart skipped a beat and he died. These are things I've seen, so I highly recommend that if you do sports or compatition MA that your doctor gives you the ok bill of health and to take all injuries seriously.

Cujo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
O.K., that was nasty! I'm thinking of taking up chess. (Just kidding).

Pax
Cujo

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh yeah. That's a nasty one. Seen it before. This ranks right up there with Lawrence Taylor breaking Joe Theisman's leg.