This freaked me out

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had cause to visit another forum recently, and came upon an avatar that had a little guy holding up a sign. The sign displayed my IP adress and my ISP. I right clicked, went to properties and got this website. Now I'm freaked out.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I have seen that before too! Big Brother is watching you, flatlander!:p

H

Hagakure

It's just a java script program. They can't see it but you can. Just a harmless script.

P

PeachMonkey

Actually, they can see all of that information.

Any HTTP server can see the IP address of a client connected to it (assuming it's not behind a firewall or proxy)... how else would it be able to return data to your client?

The ISP information is publically available via an ARIN query using your IP address.

The other data is all offered by your web browser to every HTTP site that you visit. Some web browsers allow you to modify this identification string.

In the end, I would not panic about making this data available... some of it is available to any computer that you will ever connect to via TCP/IP in any way, the rest to any web server you ever connect to. If you're extra-paranoid about it, some web browsers (I believe all the Mozilla-based ones, at least) will let you redact at least the browser identification information.

Latest Discussions