Things I've Learned By Living In The South

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being that I am from the south, I can post this... LOL

THINGS I'VE LEARNED BY LIVING IN THE SOUTH:

Possums sleep in the middle of the road with their feet in the air.

There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 live in The South.

There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 live in The South plus a couple no one's seen before.

If it grows, it sticks; if it crawls, it bites.

You don't take a nap, you're just 'restin your eyes a bit.
It is not a shopping cart; it is a buggy.

People actually grow and eat okra.

Fixinto is one word.

Iced tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. And we do like a little tea with our sugar!

Backards and forwards means "I know everything about you."

Ja eet? is actually a phrase meaning "Did you eat?"

You don't have to wear a watch because it doesn't matter what time it is. You work until you're done or it's too dark to see.

YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM THE SOUTH IF:

*You measure distance in minutes.

*You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.

*You use "fix" as a verb. Example: "I'm fixin to go to the store."

*All the festivals across the states are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect or animal.

*You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.

*You know what a "DAWG" is.

*You carry jumper cables in your car . . for your OWN car.

*The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but require 6 pages for local gossip and sports.

*You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.

*You find 100 degrees Fahrenheit "a little warm."

*Going to Wal-mart is a favorite past time known as off to "Wally World."

*A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola or pop... it's a Coke, regardless of brand or flavor. Example: "What kinda coke you want?"

*We don't need no stinking driver's ed... if our mama says we can drive, we can drive.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good ones! :rofl: My wife and I visited Nashville once; they told us they could tell the Northerners because they had spittle on the window from yelling at Southern drivers.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
funny :lol2: and almost all true...

however, living in Florida is not really living in the South. Too many Yankees! Florida is pretty much a Northerner Oasis.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
funny :lol2: and almost all true...

however, living in Florida is not really living in the South. Too many Yankees! Florida is pretty much a Northerner Oasis.

I tend to call it a raisin farm! ;) Or blue-hair ranch! Oh don't be decieved, it IS living in the south, you AIN'T seen the places I have here. I have been to some places here that would rival the most obscure back-woods parts of Kentucky!

All the snow-birds and transplants from up north typically settle in the raisin farms! I try to stay out of those places, those folks are absolutely dangerous on 4 wheels! It is as if they actually go driving just to see how many accidents they can cause.

Oh, I saw two snake like things last night on my patio that I have NEVER seen in my entire life. That reminds me I have to go google them. I don't know if they were snakes or some form of a worm! I may have found the other 2 snakes! :p

I believe it was 2 blind snakes...

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My favorite Southern Joke (and being Southern as well as having lived through all three events, I can get away with it):

What do a hurricane, a tornado and an Alabama divorce all have in common?

In each case, somebody losses a trailer.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Funny! I know people here (my best friend is just one) who say "I'm fixin' to leave in a minute".

Don't forget that you don't actually go somewhere, you go BY someplace. Like "Eat by your mama's" or "Go by your momma's house".

And the every popular "Y'all" or the pural form "All y'all".

Robyn :ultracool

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funny! I know people here (my best friend is just one) who say "I'm fixin' to leave in a minute".

Don't forget that you don't actually go somewhere, you go BY someplace. Like "Eat by your mama's" or "Go by your momma's house".

And the every popular "Y'all" or the pural form "All y'all".

Robyn :ultracool

I'll admit that from time to time I will slip and say 'fixin', I try to be very mindful of these things when I speak. I have pretty much rid myself of Y'ALL. Thankfully!

It annoy's me when people say 'momma', I believe that is surely a Southern thing. 'Mom', 'Mother', or 'Mommy' I believe are the more accepted words.

Latest Discussions