The wooden dummy and you....

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
What all do you train on the dummy? Do you simply practice the form over and over, or have you been taught different drills to practice on it? Or have you come up with some of your own?

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Have a couple of dummy forms - those are useful for positioning and concept training.

Hit the dummy with a specific technique over and over for repetition training, usually for entering strategy stuff.

Use it for 2 types of kiu sao rolling practice too as it gives a consistent shape to work with.

OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have a couple of dummy forms - those are useful for positioning and concept training.

Hit the dummy with a specific technique over and over for repetition training, usually for entering strategy stuff.

Use it for 2 types of kiu sao rolling practice too as it gives a consistent shape to work with.

what lineage do you study that has 2 mook jong sets?

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been told that the yuen kay san lineage has many dummy sets.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
What all do you train on the dummy? Do you simply practice the form over and over, or have you been taught different drills to practice on it? Or have you come up with some of your own?

The mook yan jong form has just about any hand position you can think of. So, doing the form over and over will help with stance, structure, hand position, sensitivity, transition, and flowing energy. All of those are important because like stamina, without practice, you lose those qualities quickly. You can practice the whole form, or just take one of the sets and work on it over and over. Or you can take hand motions out of a set and work on it over and over and over to develop something specific that you might think you need to improve. Or, create your own drills or combinations of the hand posiitions in any order you like. Much like Siu Nim Tao, you can be as creative as you like. With that, you will gain a lot of insight into the art.

There are several ways you can perform the form on the jong. . . . hard, soft, fast slow, with energy (pressure), no energy, any way you like. You will only benefit from constant use of the jong. I like to tell my students don't just do the form to do the form. Look at everything you do (movements), analyse, discover, question, explore them because they are more than just hand positions moving from one to another. The first form is called Siu Nim Tao or 'Little Imagination". I like to call it 'Use your Imagination'. I also like to do that with all the other forms too.

WingChunDragon

White Belt
Reaction score
I have just Started using the Wooden Dummy, I have learnt the first two Sections. I will try and use the Wooden Dummy more often now.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
what lineage do you study that has 2 mook jong sets?

Sorry, missed this or would have replied sooner.

I do Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun. We have a Long bridge and short bridge dummy, along with weapons dummy sets too. I only know the 2 hand form ones and even then, not all of the short bridge yet.

Latest Discussions