The UN Wants YOU to Eat Bugs

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, I think that MORE people should eat bugs! The taboo is really just mental. There are plenty of insect and bugs that are great nutrition and easy to get. I've eaten a wide variety during different survival trainings and they really aren't that bad. Just hard to catch.....

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Crickets fried with a bit of salt are fine, collecting them is a bit of a PITA though. I'm not sure I could handle a locust, that would be a bit much, though when you get down to it, it really isn't that different from a crayfish, and crayfish are tasty.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I try to look at it from a objective perspective, I'm not sure I can see eating ground up cow, fried pigs butt any less disgusting then bugs. A lot of seafood looks a awful lot like bugs as well, just underwater ones.

But, I think I'll still take a bacon cheeseburger over bugs.

The only way I think that is going to change is if someone feeds me them without telling me what they are until after I decide they are tasty.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But, I think I'll still take a bacon cheeseburger over bugs.

Wouldn't it be easier to serve this sandwich the other way around; with the bugs over the bacon cheeseburger? Kinda like an everything bagel.

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To quote Pulp Fiction: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy mother****er./quote]
Yes, some cultures eat insects. Some cultures have eaten people too...
Big Don,
Also a Pulp Fiction line, "Part of a nutritious breakfast"
:wink:
Fiendlover said:
uh no bugs. i dont even eat seafood.
For what are lobsters, but really just large ocean cockroaches.
Next dinner conversation during a lobster boil, bring up the old story of Coast Guard sailors who used to love eating lobster until they fished out one too many aged floaters (corpse) in the Springtime - and when it burst open on deck and was filled with... people will walk away and there will be more lobster meat for you!

Errant108

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm from Maryland.

I eat crabs every year. It's what we do.

That and football.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is a mental taboo. Remember how squeamish everyone got during the dinner scene in the movie "Indiana Jones and The Temple Of Doom" ? The Hindus were relishing in the multi-course meal that we would most likely walk out of. But it is a cultural thing. Why it was not brought over from other countries into this one (USA) is a mystery. You'd think that at least the specialty culture stores would have shelves stocked?
As a kid I remember seeing "chocolate covered ants" in a metal tin and thought it was a gag thing.
I've only eaten bugs accidentally and probably swallowed I dunno how many spiders in my sleep (giggles at the urban legend). But I bet if we introduced young children to it they'd grow up thinking nothing more about it than a crunchy treat with a chewy gooey center. But we are taught "don't eat that!" so it stays.

But humans are verifiably more nutritious than bugs are.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jesus H., dude. 36 scientists gathered in Thailand to discuss the idea, it was not a UN conference. The only UN response was: "Tina van den Briel, senior nutritionist at the World Food Program, the U.N. agency that provides food in emergencies, expressed doubt that insects can benefit large, vulnerable populations. Most bugs are seasonal and have a short shelf life, she said."

Is there no end to your dishonesty? No subject too trivial to lie about if it will discredit your political enemies?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jesus H., dude. 36 scientists gathered in Thailand to discuss the idea, it was not a UN conference. The only UN response was: "Tina van den Briel, senior nutritionist at the World Food Program, the U.N. agency that provides food in emergencies, expressed doubt that insects can benefit large, vulnerable populations. Most bugs are seasonal and have a short shelf life, she said."

Is there no end to your dishonesty? No subject too trivial to lie about if it will discredit your political enemies?
Title of the article:
U.N. Conference Promotes Insect-Eating for Everyone From Famine Victims to Astronauts

The first quote of the article:
"I definitely think they can assist,"
said German biologist V.B. Meyer-Rochow, who regularly eats insects and wore a T-shirt with a Harlequin longhorn beetle to a U.N.-sponsored conference this month on promoting bugs as a food source.--
The second quote:
"They are completely biased," van Huis said. "They really have to change. I would urge other donor organizations to take a different attitude toward this ... It's excellent food. It can be sustainable with precautions."
Gee, the article clearly states:U.N.-sponsored conference this month on promoting bugs as a food source.This is on the sixth line of the article... Isn't a UN sponsored conference a UN conference? Do you want to walk THAT fine a semantic line?The quote you point to was attributed to someone who WAS NOT a participant in the conference, and even the woman you quote, you misquote!
She suggested a more practical benefit might be adding insects to animal feed or crushing them into a meal powder that could be used to make cookies or cakes.

Meyer-Rochow said aid agencies might even find a way to harvest crop-destroying swarms of locusts and crickets.

"These mass outbreaks could be a valuable food source," he said. "If the technology is available, they could be ground up like a paste and added to the food humans eat."
Yes, someone IS being dishonest, YOU.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I really don't see the problem here. If this can help relief malnutrition, I'm all for it. In fact, grinding them up into a sterlized, cookable protein meal sounds like a great idea.