The Social Construct of Fighting?

Peregrini

White Belt
Reaction score
This is probably quite the first post for someone to make on your forum, but here goes.

I ask that for the sake of what is to be discussed that you respond to the following post before reading what other people have to say.

Preamble: I have been a member of a Muay Thai club in the local area for a few months while attempting to be a full time student. Or rather, maybe a full time student attempting to be a member of a Muay Thai club. Anyway, for one of my projects in my Social Psychology class I am supposed to perform a research project that involves actual research. Naturally, I wished to explore the social-psychology of my newfound hobby, sport-fighting in general and Muay Thai in particular.

The purpose of this assignment is an attempt to understand what thought processes are going through a persons mind and what sort of feelings these thoughts incur throughout training for a fight, preparation immediately before a fight, thought processes during a fight, and thought processes after a fight. This is by no means to be a formal study and will attempt to discover a thematic connections rather than statistics. I ask that you please answer these questions as best you can in a clear and thoughtful manner that encapsulates your experience of fighting.

Also, just to make this point clear, please state your aggression levels in addition to mental states and feelings regarding the situations incapsulated by these questions.

Questions:
What country are you from?
Which state or province of that country are you from?
Which martial arts have you trained in?
How long have you trained in each of them?

-Prefight-
Where do you find that your mind tends to go and what are your feelings during the general training process?

Where does your mind tend to go and what are your feelings during intense physical training during class?

During sparring, what thoughts and feelings tend to go through your mind in terms of both yourself and your feelings and thoughts regarding your opponent?

-fight- This section is of the most importance.

How do you tend to feel before an upcoming match?

Which states of mind do you attempt to attain before a match?

How do you attempt to view your opponent before the match?

During a fight what sorts of thoughts and feelings do you have for yourself and your opponent? How do you feel or what are you thinking when you are loosing a fight, winning a fight, or evenly matched?

-postfight-
How do you view and what thoughts do you experience immediately after a fight?

What do you find your feelings towards your opponents tend to be after a fight?

-a question of curiousity-
When you have not been to a class for some time, for whatever reason, what do you experience in terms of mental states, feelings, and aggression levels?

Latest Discussions