The Perfect Hapkido Demonstration

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Say your Dojang has been invited to give a demonstration.

Then..let's say your host/sponsor wanted to see the very best that Hapkido has to offer.

What techniques would you choose to showcase?

Would you be creative with staged attacks and defenses or would you go with the bread and butter..short form technique at high speed?

How would you go about it?

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That's a tricky position to say the least. Personally, as I have stated on another thread, I would want to see the most realistic attack/defense as possible. Now I realize that there is a safety factor involved in all of this, but the demo participants can step it up enough to make it look more quality prone than what is currently offered. Breakfalls are one thing, but in real life, the bad guy dosen't lend himself to this, so why put on the front, for people assume when watching, that this is actually going to happen for real. You could do the breakfall for the "Shock & Awe" affect, but then come right back and do the same thing over again, but this time let the folks watching know that this is the way it will happen for real. It just open doors for folks, because now their getting a fuller rendition of what the art has and not just being shown a showcase for the flying Wallenders.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My opinion I would go with the SD scenerios...Going one further I would have a female student dressed in street clothes and perform her technique against a bigger male..It will help attract women to your school..Same with having a smaller stature male defending himself against a larger male...At the end you could awe them with the short form at hight speed...My 2 cents...

Latest Discussions