The other side of IDs

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An on-going story in Denver involves people who cannot obtain IDs under new laws intended to limit services to illegal immigrants - people who are homeless, who have been robbed, etc. - the difficulties it is causing them, and the lawsuit that has been filed on their behalf. The complete story can be found in The Denver Post.

Hundreds of people - many of them homeless - who are unable to get a Colorado ID card or driver's license because they lack the required documents are unfairly blocked from obtaining housing, public benefits and jobs, a lawsuit alleges.
The lawsuit, filed Monday in Denver District Court by the Colorado Coalition for the Homeless and three people denied an ID card or driver's license, contends the state failed to follow the rules for public comment in issuing a list of 19 approved identity documents.

Not having a state-certified ID (license or state ID card) bars access to many services - including health care, housing, and jobs. A law intended to prevent illegal immigrants from using these services has backfired on those least able to deal with the outcome.

Comments?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
An on-going story in Denver involves people who cannot obtain IDs under new laws intended to limit services to illegal immigrants - people who are homeless, who have been robbed, etc. - the difficulties it is causing them, and the lawsuit that has been filed on their behalf. The complete story can be found in The Denver Post.

Not having a state-certified ID (license or state ID card) bars access to many services - including health care, housing, and jobs. A law intended to prevent illegal immigrants from using these services has backfired on those least able to deal with the outcome.

Comments?

Looks like we need a form of ID that cannot be lost...
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/10/13/fda.implant.chip.ap/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday approved an implantable computer chip that can pass a patient's medical details to doctors, speeding care.

VeriChips, radio frequency microchips the size of a grain of rice, have already been used to identify wayward pets and livestock. And nearly 200 people working in Mexico's attorney general's office have been implanted with chips to access secure areas containing sensitive documents.

Delray Beach, Florida-based Applied Digital Solutions in July asked the FDA for approval to use the implantable chip for medical uses in the United States. The agency had 60 days to reply to the "de novo" application.

It's the first time the FDA has approved the use of the device, though in Mexico, more than 1,000 scannable chips have been implanted in patients. The chip's serial number pulls up the patients' blood type and other medical information.

With the pinch of a syringe, the microchip is inserted under the skin in a procedure that takes less than 20 minutes and leaves no stitches.

Silently and invisibly, the dormant chip stores a code -- similar to the identifying UPC code on products sold in retail stores -- that releases patient-specific information when a scanner passes over the chip.

At the doctor's office those codes stamped onto chips, once scanned, would reveal such information as a patient's allergies and prior treatments.

The FDA in October 2002 said that the agency would regulate health care applications possible through VeriChip. Meanwhile, the chip has been used for a number of security-related tasks as well as for pure whimsy: Club hoppers in Barcelona, Spain, now use the microchip much like a smartcard to speed drink orders and payment.
[/FONT]

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
that's an interesting thought, but seems a bit of a red herring to me.

if you're homeless, whether or not you have an id card (and access to certain services) is low on your list of priorities and problems. there are many, many programs taht serve the homeless and impovershed that don't require presentation of id.

this feels like the kind of things politicians can shoot their mouths off about on the news without addressing the roots of the problem. they'll maybe even spend a couple of million on some kind of solution to this symptom.

instead, our energy should be directed at the things that cause homelessness: poor mental health infrastructure (the majority of homeless people in this country are mentally ill), sane drug policy and accompanying treatment, decent financial education in the schools...

and that chip thing is just frikkin' scary.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Comments?

Well, heres my only comment. My roommate had his wallet stolen, and had to jump thru hoops to get his ID's back. To get his Id, he had to provide this documentation, to get that documentation you have to show Id... blah blah... but In the end, he WAS able to do it.

Now, call me an idiot here, but the DMV in Illinois keeps your photo on file so that when you go in, after you present your documentation, they can compare the photo of you to, well, you... to make sure you are really you.

If thats what they do... why dont they just do that in the first place?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Comments?

I could see this as being a problem for to get a birth certificate for those with money could get a certifacte of anyone and use it anyway they might want too. But the Homeless might be more worried about the cost fo the ID to be used for food. And even if they get their Birth Certificate many places require one to have mail sent to them at an address and show two sources, such as cable or electric or phone.

BTW what address do the homeless list when they go to renew an ID anyways? The process does not allow for no address does it? So they must use something or once they pass thier expiration date they could never get another ID.

I am beginning to think there is something more to this than I can see at the moment.

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I got curious and went looking to see what Colorado would accept as ID for state services - and I found this list on the Colorado state government site:

COLORADO IDENTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS​
42-2-107 and 42-2-302 CRS requires applicants for a Colorado driver's license or identification card to submit proof of age, name and lawful presence, as the department may require. Applicants must present two different documents. One document must be from the proof of age/lawful presence list. The second document may be from either the proof of age/lawful presence or proof of name list. The proof must be the original document, an amended original document or a true copy certified by the issuing agency. Notary seals, notary stamps, photocopies, miniatures or "wallet size" copies are NOT acceptable.
Colorado renewal or duplicate applicants, with a photograph on file with the department, must present one document from either list.
Per 42-2-107(3)(a) CRS and 42-2-302(1)(a) CRS, if you have been issued a Social Security Number, you must provide your number to be processed for an identification card or for any instruction permit or Driver's License. Click here for more information on Social Security Number requirements.
NOTE: The department may require additional documentation and/or further verification of documents presented, as it deems necessary, to establish a person's identity or age. Customers presenting any of the following documents for identification:
  • US Passport - an additional document from the proof of age/lawful presence list is required with a US passport.
  • Any Texas birth certificate
  • Any Puerto Rico birth certificate
  • Tribal ID card
will be required to present an additional identification document along with the current requirements. Documents presented must be from the established list of acceptable identification documents. Out of state driver's licenses or ID cards do not qualify as an additional document. A. Proof of Age/Lawful Presence
1.Out of state issued photo driver's license or photo identification card expired one year or less. (Out-of-state identification cards and licenses require additional documentation from List A for proof of lawful presence.)

2. Any Colorado Driver's License, Colorado 7-day Affidavit and Notice of Revocation or Affidavit and Notice of Suspension, or Colorado identification card that matches the photograph on file with the department. Documents expired over one year require additional identification. (Colorado identification cards issued between 060197- 070198 require additional documentation from List A for proof of lawful presence.)

3. Certified birth certificate (Federal, State, County, Dept. of Justice, Dept. of State and Bureau of Indian Affairs) Birth certificates issued by the hospital are NOT acceptable. City-issued birth certificates are accepted only from New York City's 5 boroughs and Washington DC.

4. US Passport expired less than 10 years - an additional document from the proof of age/lawful presence list is required with a US passport. Out-of-state driver's licenses or ID cards do not qualify as an additional document.

5. Valid foreign passport with I-94 or valid Processed For I551 stamp; NO B1, B2, WT, WB, CP or NC status. (Status F, J, H, etc., requires verification of a Colorado connection through the sponsoring entity and original letter, by the Colorado employer, of Colorado employment or verification of education through the valid DS-2019 or I-20AB.)

6. I94 with refugee/asylee status. *Must provide either an Employment Authorization Card or an original letter, on agency letterhead, from the legal agency providing assistance. Letter to be surrendered to Driver License.

7. Valid I551 Resident Alien/Permanent Resident card. NO border crosser or USA B1/B2 Visa/BCC cards.

8. Valid I688 (photo temporary resident card), I688B and I766 (photo employment authorization card)

9. Valid US military ID (active duty, dependent, retired, reserve and National Guard)

10. Tribal Identification Card

11. United States or United States Territory Certified court order of adoption, (must include date of birth)

12. Certificate of Naturalization with intact photo.

13. Certificate of (US) Citizenship with intact photo.

B. Proof of Name:
If the name is different from the document presented for proof of age/lawful presence or the applicant is changing the name on an established record, any of the following documents are acceptable in addition to the document presented for proof of age/lawful presence. NO photocopies.

1. Certified marriage certificate, US, city, county, state or foreign issued (foreign language documents may require translation) NO church documents.

2. Certified divorce decree, US or foreign, with a case number and official signature (foreign language documents require translation)

3. Certified court order of name change, US or foreign, with case number and official signature (foreign language documents require translation)

4. Valid US Military ID (active duty, dependent, retired, reserve and National Guard)

5. Tribal Identification card

6. Out of state issued photo Driver's License or photo identification card expired one year or less.

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's an update to this story, from 9News:

The class action lawsuit was filed on behalf of a plaintiff class and the Colorado Coalition for the Homeless by volunteer attorneys from several Denver law firms.
In early November, they alleged the "two document rule" was both illegal and unconstitutional. Additionally, they say the new rule made it harder for US citizens to get drivers licenses.

Latest Discussions