The lost art of tang soo do - part two

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...9m12d15-The-lost-art-of-tang-soo-do--part-two

Part Two – Stating the Objectives

Enduring Understandings

If we pause to consider the history presented, the roots that karate draws upon, and the kinds of skills that would actually be needed in a self-defense situation, we can begin to write objectives for our curriculum. One of the first things we need to understand is that human on human violence can encompass many tools. A person can be attacked with multitudes of weapons and a general familiarity with those weapons will be highly important.

In my own training, I have experienced two schools of thought when it comes to training the weapons for self-defense. In one method, the most deadly weapons are trained first so that the highest skill level is developed with those. Then, a hierarchy of less effective weapons are trained until you come to your natural weapon skills. This method assumes that the practitioner’s first choice in self-defense will be something other then natural weapons. It assumes that natural weapon self-defense is the absolute last resort.

Check out the rest of my articles!

Latest Discussions