• Weak

• I am equally proficient and completely ambidexterous

• I lead neither side because I'm square

Results are only viewable after voting.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Which side do you lead with, stong or weak? Why? What do you see as the advantages of leading the way you do?
Flat,

Had to take the 'joke answer' of being square because I don't practice with a lead or from a lead. I train for self defense so most of the applications start from a neutral position or a 'where ever i get caught' position during training. For training purposes we devote a little more time to developing the 'weak side' or non dominant side because it will be less emphasized under pressure drills during the rest of class.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i lead with the strong, my right, since most people are right handed, it makes them think they are fighting a lefty...

this allows me to switch to my strong side back...

like the movie "The Princess Bride"....I've got something to tell you.....I'm not left handed!

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I lead strong side because in that way I have my most powerful weapon as close to the target as possible. My strong side is also faster than my weak side, thus giving me a faster and stronger jab. By having a stronger and faster jab, I create openings more effectively.

Beyond this, the other benefit I gain is that by having my weak side back, I am able to generate some power by employing it as a cross, thus increasing the overall effectiveness of all of my weapons.

The same hold true for my feet. My strong side foot is much faster and more powerful, thus by having it forward (and closer to the target) it becomes more likely that I will be effective in my combative kicking.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lead with my weak side, left leg forward. Alot of reasons. First the opponent is usually right handed too so they usually lead with their weak side, left, and that is normal for a newer fighter. Also if we both lead left, we are in a closed stance, our bodies are not as open for attack. But you can still switch fast to an open stance, and attack at the same time. ;)

Second, that leaves my rear hand, to be the cross which is more powerful. Fake jab, cross, continue with kicking. TKD people always kick!

Last of all, that also leaves the rear right leg available and for most right handers, it is usually the stronger leg. I can roundkick, pivot and sidekick, crescent, front, axe, spinside, spinheel, jumpback etc.from the rear leg. But I am more ambi-leg (term ?) since 1st dan and I have trained more on both sides, so I can also do lift up round kick from the left forward leg,and also sidekick, crescent, etc. plus spin the other way to make things real confusing. :D

It is good to be ambidextrous, ambi-leg, in case your opponent is a lefty. And its better to train both sides equally, if not your weak side "more". TW

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I lead either way, I'm just as comfortable either side. Though I am right handed, my right elbow is a little deformed from a childhood accident. Due to the deformity I perceive that arm to be marginally slower than my left, though it is more powerful. So it's kind of a toss-up, really. I think my opponent's stance dictates my position more than anything else.

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
I fight with my right foot back. I'm a lefty... but I feel stronger with my right leg in round house kicks and back kicks. But if needed, I can use my "leftiness" as an advantage.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I lead with the right, but remain fairly squared.

Reasons:

MMA gloves / bare fist make the Jab a more dangerous tool.

I prefer to get close and clinch to do my damage, or take it to the ground.

I also have done a lot of weapons work, which brings the strong side forward.

I have much better takedowns / take down defence with my strong side forward.

Where I too switch to pure striking, then I would probably switch leads. But I find it easier to keep one lead for everything.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I prefer to lead with my left, but I was trained more to lead with my right because many of the techniques favor right side. Now with the rank I am at, the techniques are trained either side, so I can work off both sides.

- Ceicei

I lead with which ever side is practicle at the time it is needed.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
right side (stronger side) - for both speed of tool use, and when using weapons. Others here have summarized it well.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On duty left side is my lead side since I carry my firearm on my right side..Off duty I revert back to my original training and my right side is my strong side..

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
I lead with the right, but remain fairly squared.

Where I too switch to pure striking, then I would probably switch leads.

There's no real advantage to switching for striking only. Main reason left side leads are dominant in boxing is due to more to tradition than it is utility.

M

Mark Weiser

In Kenpo there is a stance that I belive is called by some names as THE COMBAT HORSE.

This stance is a Horse stance with your strong side facing your opponent or you can chose if your right handed use the Right Neutral Bow or if left handed use the Left Neutral Bow when facing an opponent.

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I find it surprising that nearly one third of respondents claim to be completely ambidexterous.

To clarify:

My intent in offering that choice was not to mean "I am equally comfortable in either lead", but rather, "a strong side does not exist on my body".

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Before I vote, can someone clarify the ? a little better.
What do you consider strong side or weak? because it depends on which way you look at it for me, I am right handed and I consider it my stongest hand, but I am left legged and I considerr my left leg the strongest.
People in my class find that strange when I explain that to them about myself.
So can someone help explain that to me a little.

- Hwoarang_tkd26

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm right-handed. I lead with my left side forward - you know, like a traditional boxing stance. I have a lot of confidence in my left jab / back fist. I do appreciate and respect the idea of putting your strong side forward they way Indonesian m.a.'s do. I just prefer putting my "weak" side forward.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i know a couple people that are right handed and left footed...not all that unheard of...

Latest Discussions