The "ki drop"

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When we are doing technique there comes a time when we "send" uke to the ground by projecting our ki to the ground through what ever part of uke we happen to have a hold on. There are also times when we have uke in a position almost directly under our center (irimi nage comes to mind) where we drop our center ever so slightly to drop uke to the ground. This is, IMHO, dropping ki. How would you describe this to a new student? Would you even bother getting very in depth on this concept with, say, a white belt?

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When we are doing technique there comes a time when we "send" uke to the ground by projecting our ki to the ground through what ever part of uke we happen to have a hold on. There are also times when we have uke in a position almost directly under our center (irimi nage comes to mind) where we drop our center ever so slightly to drop uke to the ground. This is, IMHO, dropping ki. How would you describe this to a new student? Would you even bother getting very in depth on this concept with, say, a white belt?
The principle can be mentioned but I wouldn't go into too much detail with a beginner. Seika Tanden of course should be mentioned but over explanation tends to confuse most beginners.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why don't you just tell him what to do? I still after 2 years get a nice "WTF you talking about Sensei" look on my face when he tells me those phrases including center, sphere and esotheric things like that.
I got to the conclusion that the reason why Aikido takes longer than other arts to learn is the way it is taught. After 2 years I still mimic my Sensei and Senpai without actually knowing what the heck I am doing, except learning that they can kick my a$$ pretty easily hee hee.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, perhaps you should ask more questions.:wavey:

Indeed, after a short period; certainly not 2yrs; students should know the basics and the terminology even if their performance isn't up to high kyu level.

Basically you can tell the junior student that the center is near the belly button and that is is the fulcrum upon which many techniques hinge.
A demonstration of how this affects a particular throw might also help them to understand.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Indeed, after a short period; certainly not 2yrs; students should know the basics and the terminology even if their performance isn't up to high kyu level.

Basically you can tell the junior student that the center is near the belly button and that is is the fulcrum upon which many techniques hinge.
A demonstration of how this affects a particular throw might also help them to understand.
Ah, but so much of the art of aikido is about "feeling" energy or the way it's moving (or not moving) that telling one that their center is approximately two inches behind the navel is telling them how to move from their center. This is exactly what I was hoping for when I started this thread. Those of use who have been in the art long enough to teach often forget how hard some of these theories can really be to grasp. There wasn't really any single explanation that worked for me on ki drops, flowing ki, moving from the center etc. They are just theories that kinda gelled for me over time. The same concept needs to be explained differently to different students so that it gets a little clearer on an individual basis. So, my question is: What is a ki drop and how do you execute it. I doubt I see any "wrong" answers here. Everyone that's posted in the aikido forum seems very knowledgeable. I'm just looking for different answers to add to my repertoire.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Again I am out of my element and should likely just not try and talk about something like aikido since I do not train it but I sometimes do not know when to shut up.

I got to the conclusion that the reason why Aikido takes longer than other arts to learn is the way it is taught. After 2 years I still mimic my Sensei and Senpai without actually knowing what the heck I am doing, except learning that they can kick my a$$ pretty easily hee hee.

There are no short cuts to arts like Aikido that use Ki. If it were taiji I would say after 2 years you are just about in the right place. And asking questions is always a good way to get through those WTF moments in Taiji but asking and getting an answer are 2 different things. A good sifu (in your case a sensei) know better than you do as to what you are ready for.

Ah, but so much of the art of aikido is about "feeling" energy or the way it's moving (or not moving) that telling one that their center is approximately two inches behind the navel is telling them how to move from their center. This is exactly what I was hoping for when I started this thread. Those of use who have been in the art long enough to teach often forget how hard some of these theories can really be to grasp. There wasn't really any single explanation that worked for me on ki drops, flowing ki, moving from the center etc. They are just theories that kinda gelled for me over time. The same concept needs to be explained differently to different students so that it gets a little clearer on an individual basis. So, my question is: What is a ki drop and how do you execute it. I doubt I see any "wrong" answers here. Everyone that's posted in the aikido forum seems very knowledgeable. I'm just looking for different answers to add to my repertoire.

Well I am not all that knowledgeable and less so in things Aikido but here goes

If this were taiji (and I know it is not) I believe you are talking about what we call sinking the Qi and there was not one thing my Sifu ever said, even when I asked, that made this perfectly clear for me as it applies to any applications. It was not until the last fast form that a lot of things just seemed to click all at once and make a whole lot of since. Before that I had kind of a dictionary or encyclopedia understanding but after it was rather clear. I will say when he explained things that “simply” was better for me. No mention of Qi at all just sink your dantian (that is the point near the naval you are talking about in CMA terms) root, don’t stop, one movement flows into the next, etc. kind of thing.

I would not get too deeply into it verbally with a beginner, to much detail will, IMO, tend to derail and confuse. I might do some things by example but in Taiji if you start talking Qi to early people tend to cross over into the “Magical Martial Art” area and they miss the point all together.

But to get back on track, that is if I understand what is being said here, we would find the other persons center and take advantage of that to uproot and use our Qi to basically throw them off, down, over whatever you happen to need to do at the time. Because once you have their center you can do pretty much whatever you want to do.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Jeff,

I wouldn't go too far into it with white belts, it's something that you have to feel and it's very difficult to explain. Keep it simple, and purely physical, it's something that comes in time. Nothing you can say will make it come any faster. Think back, how long was it before you figured it out? I'll tell you something though, if you think you understand it now, wait a couple of more years, and then when you really think you've got it, wait a couple of more. You'll be amazed at how ignorant you were when you thought you finally got it. I can't wait until my next epiphany :)

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score

It's funny coz it happened right the other day. I don't remember what I was doing, but it was a katadori technique. Sensei notice I got stuck (as usual LOL) and he asked me what I was doing. I said I was going to Uke's center. So Sensei asked me to show him where the center was and I pointed exactly where you described...wrong, it was not there. Going there I was going straight into Uke's strength, coz Sensei showed me that the center I was looking for was no longer there where the famous "2 fingers under the belly button" theory describes.
Take a Shihonage for example. When you are done with the whole movement if you cut down towards the hara I experienced that you actually give everything back to Uke. His center in that case is more behind him, that's where his balance will break.
But this is just my opinion, I might be completely wrong and it might be that my way to reason is different and what doesn't work for me works for thousands of people. Anyway if you start talking to me about center, triangles and spheres you will get the result that as soon as I start doing the same exercise after your explaination I will do exactly the same thing.

And as per asking questions, I used to till Sensei said he prefers me to learn by watching instead of asking. And actually it is better watching sometimes...

slink

White Belt
Reaction score
Speaking as a white belt aikidoka I've been primarily introduced to ki through the methodology that morph4me described and I feel that I have a decent grasp of the concept. I'm sure that more experienced practicioners know more than I do but I know enough for the material that I'm being exposed to at this time.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sensei's do like students to watch, however, American students always ask.:cool:
Tanden, Seika Tanden, hara, or what ever name used in your art, is important and "your" center doesn't change. Body positioning may change the "bodies central fulcrum" but not your overall meaning for the concept.
Domo Arigato Guzaimasu.:yoda:

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sensei's do like students to watch, however, American students always ask.:cool:
Tanden, Seika Tanden, hara, or what ever name used in your art, is important and "your" center doesn't change. Body positioning may change the "bodies central fulcrum" but not your overall meaning for the concept.
Domo Arigato Guzaimasu.:yoda:

Personally I like students who ask, it makes me a better instructor, but you're dead on on the rest of your post :asian:

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Personally I like students who ask, it makes me a better instructor, but you're dead on on the rest of your post :asian:
Oh, yes, I too like them to ask. I should have said "traditional Sensei's or non-American Sensei's.
a tip o' the hat to the land of S.S.

:boing1:

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I belive that the "ki-system" was "made" becasue that was the way a person could understand why things worked as they did. It's an easy way to understand the mechanices, specialy since you dont need a masters grade to describe something (or maybe you do need a black belt ;-) . By saying this I think the concept of "ki-droping", which has nothing to do with birds, can be describe by your "normal" set of words. The difficult part being if you dont have words for things, then you get the mix og understanding and language.

Concering questions from students, I don't mind, I encourage it. But sometimes I feel that it's easier for students to ask than understand, and that the question it self stands in the way of there own understanding. The questions becomes more important than the understanding, and alot of times the student can't even see this himself(reminds of my self for many years ago.... maybe that's why I can see it...... hmmmm).

/Yari

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the idea that the question is sometimes more important than the answer. It made something click for me.

Morph, again it's like you are looking straight into my head (scary stuff in there) as I was trying to explain the ki drop in jacket grab to a new student the other night in purely mechanical terms. "Look, it's just a matter of keeping your back straight and dropping your hips down and back like a big letter J". He never did catch on to it, but, like I said he's brand new and it will take a while before even things that are explained in a mechanical way click.

As to the epiphanies that you encounter, man, do I know where you're coming from there. It has always amazed me that I can have so many A-HA moments about the same thing over a period of time. It's one of the many things that keeps me training as I never know when I'm gonna have the next one.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jeff, I think that the concept you are teaching is indeed a difficult one for novices, still I think you are exactly right to at least tip a nod to it in your initial teaching. I feel there is too much teaching Aikido by its mechanics alone. Aikido is not impulse, momentum and gravity. Although as Yari says, we have contrived the language of ki to rationalise movements in Aikido, I think nevertheless that ki will always be something unexplainable by Newton's Laws of Motion!! I think it is akin to learning to drive, yes you need to know how to steer, accelerate, brake, change gear. However we would assume the driving tutor to have at least made the student aware of concepts such as reading the road, anticipation, defensive driving etc. Sorry, I mean, IMO, I think you are bang on in referencing this abstract concept while teaching the mechanics of it. The two aspects will eventually "click" for the student in that epiphany moment someone alluded to earlier.. Sorry - I meandered a bit there :)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jenna, thank ye kindly, ma'am. Much appreciated. Where ya been? Haven't seen you around lately.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jeff, I think that the concept you are teaching is indeed a difficult one for novices, still I think you are exactly right to at least tip a nod to it in your initial teaching. I feel there is too much teaching Aikido by its mechanics alone. Aikido is not impulse, momentum and gravity. Although as Yari says, we have contrived the language of ki to rationalise movements in Aikido, I think nevertheless that ki will always be something unexplainable by Newton's Laws of Motion!! I think it is akin to learning to drive, yes you need to know how to steer, accelerate, brake, change gear. However we would assume the driving tutor to have at least made the student aware of concepts such as reading the road, anticipation, defensive driving etc. Sorry, I mean, IMO, I think you are bang on in referencing this abstract concept while teaching the mechanics of it. The two aspects will eventually "click" for the student in that epiphany moment someone alluded to earlier.. Sorry - I meandered a bit there :)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

I don't think you meandered at all, and I've used the driving anolgy myself, many times. That being said, I think that ki is really just a merging of proper timing, physiology and phyics, so by my definition mechanics is only one part of it, but we have to take baby steps so why not start there?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Again I am stepping out of my element across a sea and into another country, but this simple Taiji guy is missing something here or maybe my direct translation of Qi to Ki is confusing me.

If in fact Ki = Qi then it is not a system or mechanics it is internal energy that is used to move the body instead of using hard muscular force. This is why my sifu can through me around with little or no effort on his part. I do realize that mechanics and physics are part of it but Qi is not mechanics or physics, that is if my translation of the Japanese Ki to the Chinese Qi is correct. And sinking your qi is one way of lowering your center and rooting. Now I will admit I am making an assumption here that dropping ki is the same a sinking Qi and that may also be part of the problem in my understanding here.
The definition of Ki that I am seeing here would then be a westernized definition in an attempt to understand an eastern concept and although it is not entirely wrong it does miss the mark.

Now if I am WAAAAAY off here feel free to tell the CMA guy he is clueless about Aikido and I will leave and not feel any insult or slight since I am in fact a CMA guy trying to understand Aikido using my CMA definitions and I realize things can get a bit mucked up in translation.

But then again if you are trying to figure out how to explain this to a beginning student I believe I might be a good test subject since in fact I do not train Aikido but Taijiquan, It is the concept of Ki/Qi I feel is similar but form what I am reading here they may not be.

And lastly hello Jenna how have you been

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think you're wrong in that ki = qi, or that dropping ki and sinking qi are the same thing, I think they're identical, just in different languages. I just don't think of it as an internal system but a synergy of body mechanics ( posture, relaxation, position, balance, etc.), the laws of physics, timing, and intent. I think it's more a matter of what we believe qi/ki to be that is adding to the confusion.

Latest Discussions