The CHA3 tree

CHA3Kenpo

White Belt
Reaction score
Since I have joined I noticed that CHA3 is not talked about very much and there is not that many threads that even include CHA3. SOOOO as someone who practices this style I thought I would share the CHA3 as it goes until myself.

Shorenji Kempo___________________________JuJitsu
Mitose Clan Judo Okinawa Te
Jigoro Kano Gushin Funakoshi
Kenpo KiuKu Shin-Kai Goju RHU Chitoru
Prof. Paksune 1860 Masatatsu Yanaguchi Chinen
Prof. James Mitose 1918

Prof. William Chow 1926
Ed Parker Prof. Adriano Emperdo 1943 Abe Kamahoahoa

Prof. Marino Tiwanak 1954
C.I. James Goodman 1964 C.I. Robert Myers 1967 C.I. Richard Baker

Inst. Nick Neddo 1974 Inst. Brian Courtright 1978 Inst. Jerry Peirce
Inst. Mark Clippinger 1979 Inst. Steve Stults 1979
Inst. Carl Skidmore
Inst. Tony Foster
Inst. Anthony Foster

OP
C

CHA3Kenpo

White Belt
Reaction score
Its the system Prof. Marino Tiwanak developed in Hawaii. Its called CHA3 because it was originally practiced in the central housing building #3, they added the activities part after housing for CHA3. Marino then changed it to Central Hawaiian Activities 3. Nothing special or unique about it, very traditionalist but very realistic IMO.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, in my brief exposure to the system, I think it has more of a boxing flavour to it than some of the other kajukenbo variants.

Lamont

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that Marino Tiwanak was a boxer before he took up Kajukenbo. If I'm not mistaken, the info comes from an interview with Grandmaster Emperado in Inside Kung Fu magazine.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since I have joined I noticed that CHA3 is not talked about very much and there is not that many threads that even include CHA3. SOOOO as someone who practices this style I thought I would share the CHA3 as it goes until myself.

Shorenji Kempo___________________________JuJitsu
Mitose Clan Judo Okinawa Te
Jigoro Kano Gushin Funakoshi
Kenpo KiuKu Shin-Kai Goju RHU Chitoru
Prof. Paksune 1860 Masatatsu Yanaguchi Chinen
Prof. James Mitose 1918

Prof. William Chow 1926
Ed Parker Prof. Adriano Emperdo 1943 Abe Kamahoahoa

Prof. Marino Tiwanak 1954
C.I. James Goodman 1964 C.I. Robert Myers 1967 C.I. Richard Baker

Inst. Nick Neddo 1974 Inst. Brian Courtright 1978 Inst. Jerry Peirce
Inst. Mark Clippinger 1979 Inst. Steve Stults 1979
Inst. Carl Skidmore
Inst. Tony Foster
Inst. Anthony Foster

Could you or someone explain the name? CHA3 I think means something, just curious.

OP
C

CHA3Kenpo

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, in my brief exposure to the system, I think it has more of a boxing flavour to it than some of the other kajukenbo variants.

Lamont

What specifically about the system makes you think boxing? I understand Tiwanak was a boxer for a few years. I guess I don't think that boxing has that big of an influence in this system. There are defenses against boxer type fighters, called Combinations.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
What specifically about the system makes you think boxing? I understand Tiwanak was a boxer for a few years. I guess I don't think that boxing has that big of an influence in this system. There are defenses against boxer type fighters, called Combinations.

Perhaps it was just my instructor, but in comparison to the kajukenbo-kenpo (original Kajukenbo) line I had been studying, it just felt more like a boxing foundation than a hard style karate/kenpo foundation, particularly in its striking structure. Does that make sense?

Now that being said, that particular instructor also emphasized kickboxing so it may be from there that I get an incorrect impression.

Lamont

kempocat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I trained under Professor Marino Tiwanak at his school in Salt lake Hawaii for a very short time before the company I was working for (mid pacific airlines) went bankrupt in the 80's forcing me to return to the mainland
I am thankful for the experience to train at his school sadly it has made all other schools I have trained at seem like impersonal business
if you are a part of CHA3 Kenpo you are part of a family
I plan on returning to hawaii to resume training with the CHA3 under Professor Michael Tiwanak but this plan is still years away I must retire first
in the meantime I enjoy staying in touch with the school
via email
I cant say enough about this school do your self a favor and google cha3 kenpo lots of great history and pictures
Keith Bryan