The Brinks Robbery shooting, revisited

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A while ago, I was writing a post about the infamous 1986 FBI shootout in Miami, where poor tactics used by the agents, along with the lack of suitable firepower, resulted in the death of some agents, and serious wounding of others, by Platt and Matix.

This particular incident sparked a trend amongst law enforcement, to get better firepower, and use better tactics.

I do wonder, though, why it took until 1986 do do this? Looking back at history, we can look at the Brinks robbery incident of 1981, where again, poor tactics, and being undergunned, resulted in the death of two police officers, and a security guard.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/terrorists_spies/terrorists/brinks/1.html

During the second shootout, the officers made a mistake, when they lowered their weapons after Kathy Boudin had given them a plea to do so, at which point, the robbers hiding in the truck opened fire.

My question is this... Shouldn't this incident have sparked the outcry for better tactics and training, along with better weaponry for law enforcement?

On another note, one of the bad guys in this operation, is a fellow known as Mutulu Shakur, the stepfather of the deceased felonious rapper, Tupac Shakur... He's set to be released from prison in 7 years.

Latest Discussions