Targeting

M

Ma_Kuiwu

First of all, I want to thank Datu Tim Harman and Guru Rich Parsons, along with all the rest who made my Marissa's benefit such a wonderful event!

That being said, I want to ask some questions now that I am hooked on Modern Arnis and what it has to offer.

I was doing the photo shoot for my upcoming Kungfu Qigong Magazine article, and I had my new arnis stuff with me. I have been practicing what I can lately, and have been attempting to contact GM Bong Jornales to find out about schedules and class costs. But I was showing some of my shixiongdi the few things I could from the clinic on the 6th. My sifu smiled and came over to see.

He picked up one of the sticks and said "You hit me". So I did. Or at least I tried. What ended up happening was I had some throbbing knuckles and I had to pick up my stick.

His premise is the same with any stick, long or short. It is the Taiji jian (strait sword), dao(broadsword), or even qiang (spear) technique he utilizes of targeting the fingers of the hand holding the incoming weapon. Thus eliminating the threat.

during my brief exposure to modern Arnis, I noticed many dagger attacks to the hands and wrists during the blocking exercises. But the sticks seemed to be blocking cane on cane. Is this always the case?

I do realize that there are issues involved with contol of the weapon, and that a strike too close to the hand can result in theattackers weapon continuing on its trajectory even after it has been "blocked" and thus striking with (somewhat diminished)force on the intended target.

You experts out there care to share some of your wisdom with me?

This is going in both the CHinese and Modern Arnis rooms. I am curious as to the differences.

Amitioufo

Kuiwu

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blocking cane-on-cane is a training device. One usually wants to block cane-on-hand/forearm. We check the weapon afterwards because of the possibility you mention of a weakened strike continuing. Of course, hopefully one can use body movement to avoid the strike while countering to the hand so that the check isn't necessary.

Latest Discussions