Talking about belts

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wear just a plain black belt for TKD and my Modern Arnis black belt has red piping around the outside edges of it. I have no lettering or kanji on either belt. I was given a plain belt by my instructors, well I had to go buy my Modern Arnis belt after the test.

I have a assistant instructor who received his BB under another instructor in their system they embroider the instructor's name and the dan level on the belt. I don't think the students name is on the belt but the instructor's name who tested and trained them is.

Sabo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I received a plain ole black belt for passing my 1st dan about nine months ago. Actually, I am supposed to get an embroidered belt but it has not come for some reason. At first I was a little put out about this and sort of thought that my testing efforts were not enough for my superiors. Now a days, I have grown accustomed to the plain Jane around my waste that I wear 5 evenings a week. I have put a lot of spirit into it so it has earned its place (so to speak). It has also occurred to me that it doesn't matter about all the embroidery. If I happen to receive it down the road it will most likely hang up somewhere and not on my waste.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I received a plain black belt for my I Dan, but that one has since been passed on to another student. My sahbum has given me all of my belts since then, one with rank stripes embroidered on it (the one I usually wear - it's getting pretty worn, but that's okay with me) and one with my name, rank, and art embroidered on it, in Korean on one side and in English on the other. I generally only wear the fully embroidered one for events where I would wear my good "dress" uniform with all the patches and stripes, kind of like wearing a tie with a suit to dress it up more.

Cyclona

White Belt
Reaction score
My gym uses embroidered BB's. The persons name in both english & korean and their dan as well.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
My first BB was plain, My Wife got it from me when she reached 4th Dan. My second BB, I gave to one of my stdents(it had my name and school on it). My 3rd had my name and school on it. My 4th BB had my name and my association on it, along with rank stripes. My new belt has my name on on side and my rank bars on the other(it is a panel belt).

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I received a plain ole black belt for passing my 1st dan about nine months ago. Actually, I am supposed to get an embroidered belt but it has not come for some reason. At first I was a little put out about this and sort of thought that my testing efforts were not enough for my superiors. Now a days, I have grown accustomed to the plain Jane around my waste that I wear 5 evenings a week. I have put a lot of spirit into it so it has earned its place (so to speak). It has also occurred to me that it doesn't matter about all the embroidery. If I happen to receive it down the road it will most likely hang up somewhere and not on my waste.

Wonder if your instructor was waiting for you to come to that conclusion.... :)

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
My school uses an embroidered blet (name in English and Korean on one side and Name of school on the other). I like it. I'd be just as happy with a plain belt...but since this is what my school uses, that's what I wear. If I ever reach dan grades in another art, I'll wear whatever the art holdsa s proper when I train in that art. It's less about the belt and more about training in the end.

Peace,
Erik

Wasabinyc

White Belt
Reaction score
Plain simple black to keep my pants up. I like my students to keep guessing.

Latest Discussions