Take-downs in Wing Chun

hkreporting

White Belt
Reaction score
Just wanted to share this good example of take-downs and close range WC fighting (3rd gate using chin-na, takedowns, elbows). I used to think take-downs were not WC, but borrowed from elsewhere, but take-downs can be traced directly to WC forms, e.g., Biu jee and especially the footwork in the dummy sections. This is Sifu Donald Mak from the Chow Tze-chuen line with his student in Italy. Sifu Chow (recently passed away) was known for his footwork and kicks ("Wong gerk" - king of kicks - if interested, see WC Kicking article in www.hongkongreporting.com).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are some promising starting points in there, but I don't see any takedowns that I'd expect to work on a mobile opponent (all of his stopped on first contact), or on someone gripping, even a simple "shoulder clinch" position.

OP
H

hkreporting

White Belt
Reaction score
There are some promising starting points in there, but I don't see any takedowns that I'd expect to work on a mobile opponent (all of his stopped on first contact), or on someone gripping, even a simple "shoulder clinch" position.
thanks for the feedback and apologies, I meant to post this in the Wing Chun forum....

OP
H

hkreporting

White Belt
Reaction score
thanks for the feedback and apologies, I meant to post this in the Wing Chun forum....

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You could make them work. There was a whizzer in there. And that foot sweep can be pulled off with the right set up.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could make them work. There was a whizzer in there. And that foot sweep can be pulled off with the right set up.
That's what I was getting at. The set-ups are what make those available against a resisting opponent. How you get to a throw or takedown is as important as the technique itself.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's what I was getting at. The set-ups are what make those available against a resisting opponent. How you get to a throw or takedown is as important as the technique itself.

yeah.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Set-ups??
What?? You mean you don't just walk up and do a takedown!?
Obviously you need to keep practicing your form/s more.
Set-ups...!

Latest Discussions